mrogowski

Who wants 7kw at 14.4 for $1049?

After doing some research, it's obvious from an "electrical system" point of view that this amp can't be used for daily.

It uses single 1/0 power\ground and single speaker connections.

Stated to pull 1000A of current.

You would need a minimum of 3 3/0 power AND ground connectors to support that feed safely.

I'm a daily driver so i'm out.

Now, for those in comps who burp ONLY, then you should keep close eyes on this thread.

The amps are designed to play music, not just SPL freq tones!

not safe!

dont expect to pull 1000A of current for music through a single 1/0 run of power\ground without either a fire or a fuse popping first in the powerline.

1/0 can only handle between 240-300A. Continuous use... very bad.

Read through the link on the first post.

He somewhat explain's it and has another link that goes into detail about it.

Hello

The connectors handle 1kA, but since you wont listen test tones the average current will be around 30% of the max amperage drawn by the amp, (600A 14.4V) so will be a medium of 200A listening music.

not safe!

dont expect to pull 1000A of current for music through a single 1/0 run of power\ground without either a fire or a fuse popping first in the powerline.

1/0 can only handle between 240-300A. Continuous use... very bad.

that does include when the run is under 1 foot? and if your still THAT worried, just put 1\0 runs into the 1 hole. No need to have 10 inputs on an amp.

Edited by ddeitz

IF he's basing that musical draw will average a third of peak that's too risky because most of the music I listen to draws way more than 30% compared to test tones.

Since i'm in no hurry, sure, i'll wait but i'd like to hear how this thing responds to a full song, a full constant bass line song.

You need not wait long for that answer. This stuff is not new - it has been sold in Brazil for quite some time before coming here.

Now, if you really want to throw numbers around about wire, simply using Ohm's Law like the bcae1.com does to determine maximum current through wire sizes is erroneous at best. Include things like thermal mass of the wire, dissipation factor, convection, thermal properties of the protective shielding and transmission factor - only then can you come to such a conclusion.

But I digress...

The Stetstom models I know don't look like that, so let's not get carried away with "this looks like that" (see mag vs q).

shizzon, for what length is 1/0 rated at 240-300A ? I'm 110% sure you can use it for much higher currents for short lengths.

Soooo, who uses 1 battery in the front with such high power ? Or who has auxiliary batteries in the front and the amps in the back ?

The Stetstom models I know don't look like that, so let's not get carried away with "this looks like that" (see mag vs q).

shizzon, for what length is 1/0 rated at 240-300A ? I'm 110% sure you can use it for much higher currents for short lengths.

Soooo, who uses 1 battery in the front with such high power ? Or who has auxiliary batteries in the front and the amps in the back ?

well i guess if you were running a few 200 amp alts with a single run of 1\0 to your amp...however thats just asking for trouble anyway. You can fit 2 1\0's into a single terminal anyway if you do not think 1 is not enough. However if your batteries are close enough, then your fine. Unless you like to spend more on wire.

The current charts that can be found online goes by a guideline such as do not use, for example, a 1/0 cable for more than 245A or you will have substantial voltage drop. They do state there can be variations of the current limit by many things mrogowski said but what i'm looking at is... if the amp can pull 1000A, expect 500-700A of pull from constant or near constant bass line songs, not 200A. For such a voltage drop would increase current if the PS in the amp is regulated. Whether it is or not, in my opinion, you will probably need more batts than normal to keep the voltage up compared to another set of amps with the same pull. I only say this because you can use a lot more wire with multi amps or 1 very large one such as Atomic 5000.1, Hifonics Colossus, Kicker Warhorse... they all have dual power\ground terminals for the necessity of keeping the voltage up.

Not to point fingers or anything...but you can see the square wave you get at 12kw out of the 8kw amp...it's way far from a sine wave, look at the scope. Yes, it is 12kw, but...at what point does it go from a true sine to something that looks like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDhRBMB3vok

Taking that into consideration, you may get 6kw out of the 5kw amp before it starts doing that? Regardless, still a pretty good deal for that kind of power.

Indeed. I would hazard to guess anyone purchasing an amplifier that size would be using it strictly for competing. Certainly it could be used for general use just like any other amplifier, but I have severe doubts any (sane?) person would be driving around with the volume cranked to 10.

EDIT: I think they were just showing what it could do with 12v - certainly not something you would want to do for any real length of time.

I am probably a little behind here on this topic but I have been doin alot of research and talking to Murilo and T.J. about these. I do understand everyones concern about the amps and agree that it could be an issue and should be made more user friendly and probably will be in time. The problem is easily fixed or can be worked around with little effort. Simply run your 3 or 4 runs of single 0 gauge to a distro block just infront of the of the amps power and ground and then have a single run of 0 gauge wire that is about 5 or 6 inches long which will handle more then enough. This amp is NOT for begginers or amatures. If you can't figure out a way to make these amps work for you and your amplication then you don't need to buy them. The potenital of the amp is there. No one would give a drivers education student the ability to drive for nascar or run a sundown 3500 off of just 10 gauge wire. All I am saying is think about how you can use the equipment to the best of its ability. The amp has features to make sure you don't over heat the amp so that shouldnt be a concern and I am sure it would be covered under the warranty. They are offering a 5 year warranty, that says alot about a company and how they feel about their product.

Perhaps this amp upconverts the current, similar to how the RF T15K converts from 12v. to 400v.?

Perhaps this amp upconverts the current, similar to how the RF T15K converts from 12v. to 400v.?

I though the secondary system, after the 12v, was a 140v system?