Aaron Clinton

Sound Deadner Showdown Products!!

Our friend Don Sambrook (goes by Rudy on the forums), who for a number of years has been dedicating his time and effort to a 3rd party resource for sound deadener, has taken all the results from his tests and started his own product line. Sound Deadner Showdown.

There is the CLD Tiles, Butyl Rope, Vinyl CCF, and Vinyl barrier. So far the site looks great and has a very simple and straight forward layout. He is currently working on the site right now I believe, so keep your eye out for more updates.

cld.jpg

ebr.jpg

Check it out, the prices are very reasonable too.

:)

Thanks Aaron!

All of that research and testing led up to a happy conclusion - you don't have to choose between getting a lot of cheap sound deadening or break the bank covering every square inch of your car with the good stuff. Find the best vibration damper you can, apply it at 25% coverage at the center of resonant panels and you are done with vibration damping. You've done less work, spent less money and made it possible to get to the vehicle's sheet metal if you need to do maintenance in the future. Win, win, win :)

Understanding that basic principle allowed a few other things to happen. Since you are only working with the center 25% of any panel, large sheets of vibration damper just mean more work and cuts on your fingers and hands. Why not make the product in a convenient 6"X10" size? I did. Since you will seldom have to cut this stuff, it was possible to use a thicker foil. In theory, the ideal constrained layer vibration damper would use a constraining layer that is the same as the substrate being damped. Since that would require something like 22 gauge steel, it isn't really practical. Fact is, thick foil is very expensive, difficult to cut and press into irregular surfaces so the usually 3-4 mil thick foil is a compromise between performance and practicality. I stepped that up to 8 mil foil. You can still press it onto gently curved surfaces - like the exterior door panels, but the performance improvement is significant.

There really is a better way to do this and it doesn't require layer after layer of material that performs poorly to get it done. Obviously there are a few other very good products out there. I'm not questioning their approach at all (although I think mine is better :)). I do hope that this new effort will stop people from wasting their time and money on asphalt and low grade butyl flashing tapes.

Aaron. thanks again for the kind words.

very cool stuff here. i will deff. be looking into this

Edited by justiin smith

Sweet !

This is something that is on my to do list.

I had read some of your research from the showdown, and it was good stuff!! I am glad you are selling your own now, as I am sure all of your research will lead to a quality product and a good finished result and saving money is a bonus.

Thank you and I will be in touch soon.

That Rope would have saved me a bunch of work when I was doing all the deadening to the civic last year.

Very Cool stuff. I will have to keep some of these products in mind when I am sound deadening soon.

Going to order some butyl rope for sure !

just want to say that I put in my order 1.5 hours ago, and I already have tracking numbers from UPS!!! :+1::neil:

what exactly is the rope used for?

and how can i order ?

look at the website.

Uses

* trunk lid

* doors

* speaker baffles

* trunk spoiler

* seal around grommets

what exactly is the rope used for?

and how can i order ?

The rope is meant to be pushed into gaps between panels or panels and other parts. A perfect use in most cars is between the door exterior skin and the side crash intrusion prevention bars or structure. This basically turns the center of the exterior skin into a vibration damper. Add a few CLD Tiles and you are done. Another application is between the trunks outer skin and the support skeleton underneath. Stops rattling and damps vibrations. If you run a bead of it (you can stretch it into any thickness you want) around the perimeter of MLV installed on the inner door skin it turns it into a vapor shield - which you shouldn't need since you've sealed the access holes, right? :)

Just e-mail me with what you want or what you are trying to do and I'll work out a shipped price. You can pay by PayPal or call me to order by credit card. I keep saying the shopping cart will be done any day now :)