What Do You Do And Are Currently Doing?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Do And Are Currently Doing?

• Wire a small component amp and a subwoofer amp to my single REM wire on the head unit.
    • Use a relay to wire my multiple amplifiers and other 12v accesories.
    • My amplifiers and/or accesories are on a switch.

I know you're not supposed to run more than one REM wire from the single one off of the head unit, but I'm kind of (read: really, really) crunched for time at the moment - it would just be a small component amp and the subwoofer amp.

That's always nice to hear.

I've always used the SoundDomain relays in the past, and didn't want to find out the hard way that the REM wire doesn't like two amps hooked up to it.

Should I fuse both runs or take any precautions?

Yay ... one's in the trunk, one's under the front seat ;)

ahhh, makes sense. I don't have a fuse ATM, but that is always a good idea. Fuse em.

Or I could always do it your way and not have to drive somewhere to get fuseholders and fuses ;) Which is probably what I'll do unless someone highly suggests I do it another way.

I think the smallest fuse you can get here is 0.5 amp (the glass ones) ... so I might just run two wires and fuse both of them.

I don't use a relay unless I absolutely have to. Don't want to take a chance on introducing any noise into the system. Now with that said, I ALWAYS fuse my remote lead. a simple .5 amp fuse is plenty. If that blows, then you know you need a relay. Most amps only take a couple milliamps to turn on so you should be fine. But that fuse is a lifesaver. Ever accidentally touch the remote to ground? Use the fuse.

heh, ive done that before...only sparks a lil bit.

I used three amps, AND the eclipse balanced line adapter at one time. So FOUR units, never say a drop in voltage...never had any problems...

NG

I don't use a relay unless I absolutely have to.  Don't want to take a chance on introducing any noise into the system.  Now with that said, I ALWAYS fuse my remote lead.  a simple .5 amp fuse is plenty.  If that blows, then you know you need a relay.  Most amps only take a couple milliamps to turn on so you should be fine.  But that fuse is a lifesaver.  Ever accidentally touch the remote to ground?  Use the fuse.

If I'm going to have two runs coming off of that main REM wire, should I fuse both lines or just the main one before it splits?

You can never have too many fuses in a daily driven vehicle IMO.

So that's a yes for a .5 on each run?

i usually just run a single short one to the first amp, then split it off from there. i've never fused my REM wire, though nick has a point. u can't have too much protection, but then again, never fused, never had an issue...so i guess my whole post is useless..lol..

so what else is new?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Posting on message boards isn't useless!

We've never posted anything useless!

So that's a yes for a .5 on each run?

Yes, with rem's I think of the incindiery carpet & countless other wires that I wouldnt want to melt. ...and, of course the output of the HU.

I voted earlier.

_nick

I personally would just do one fuse on the main wire. If there is going to be an accident on either of the two branching off it, you can sure bet it will be greater than 1 amp. That's what's needed to blow the fuse so you should be fine. IF you feel the need, you can use 2.

Posting on message boards isn't useless!

We've never posted anything useless!

x2...

for lower power installs, jumping from one amp to the next is ok from my experience

Ran both off of the single line from the head unit with one .5 amp inline fuse. Works great :)

Frickin' loud, though.