would applying resin to the entire outside of the box stop the wood from absorbing paint? and would it be a good way to do it? Because i feel like the wood would absorb primer almost as much as it did the paint.

I'm just wondering because the last box i built took several cans of paint, (and it was only for 1 10") and even then, the paint only came out ok

It should since you would just be painting the resin. Mdf is like that it absorbs paint like no other.

and applying resin to the box will weaken it. You should use sanding sealer like you are supposed to and not resin.

and applying resin to the box will weaken it. You should use sanding sealer like you are supposed to and not resin.

just looking to learn a little but why would resin weaken the mbf. i would understand that it would add not strenght without glass and even still very minimal due to it being a flat surface and only a single layer.

Scientifically I am not sure, in practice though I am.

Im very much wanting to know how resin makes a enclosure weak

Then test it. Really easy to do.

I am very much wanting to know why you think the opposite.

i have tested it . its used very often in spl applications. But im just a noobie to the car audio world

i have tested it . its used very often in spl applications. But im just a noobie to the car audio world

And strength is NOT the reason it is used very often.

no.. its just not the ONLY reason. i dont get why your such a dick . i havent seen one of your post where you tried to help anyone with out being a dick head about it . and with no logical reason for why you think what you do. its very pucking much this simple. im not a noobie man, ive been around and tested plenty. period!

no.. its just not the ONLY reason. i dont get why your such a dick . i havent seen one of your post where you tried to help anyone with out being a dick head about it . and with no logical reason for why you think what you do. its very pucking much this simple. im not a noobie man, ive been around and tested plenty. period!

So since you have tested the strength of MDF with and without resin, let's hear how you did this test.

Im very much wanting to know how resin makes a enclosure weak

Then test it. Really easy to do.

I am very much wanting to know why you think the opposite.

why dont you answer me 1st?

The best luck I've had with painting boxes is using some type of textured paint (such as fleck paint or cheap truck bed protector), letting it dry, and then painting over that. Don't know why it works, but it really helps keep the paint from soaking in, although you cannot have a nice smooth surface. Good luck!

Surprising to know that resin makes a box weaker. Thanks for the info.

The above statement is very true,aswell as cheap bedliner in a can and I just recently(yesturday) tried krylon fusion, it worked great and even sealed the sides with only a few sprays

would applying resin to the entire outside of the box stop the wood from absorbing paint? and would it be a good way to do it? Because i feel like the wood would absorb primer almost as much as it did the paint.

I'm just wondering because the last box i built took several cans of paint, (and it was only for 1 10") and even then, the paint only came out ok

Have you thought about useing latex paint and a roller.

The best luck I've had with painting boxes is using some type of textured paint (such as fleck paint or cheap truck bed protector), letting it dry, and then painting over that. Don't know why it works, but it really helps keep the paint from soaking in, although you cannot have a nice smooth surface. Good luck!

Surprising to know that resin makes a box weaker. Thanks for the info.

I paint mine the same way, and it really works

yea i dont know whats so hard about painting mdf???

I roll latex paint over it first, then sand down with 150grit.

Then i roll again and sand down with 300grit.

I usually stop there but u can roll again if u want.

yea i dont know whats so hard about painting mdf???

I roll latex paint over it first, then sand down with 150grit.

Then i roll again and sand down with 300grit.

I usually stop there but u can roll again if u want.

Painted many boxes this way and always looks good.