mikey5472

Sub caught on fire?

lol that's crazy. you should have seen the 06 XXX that burned up over here. cone disappeared, dustcap heated up and warped coils were black as hell, melted plastic all over the box. Interesting what people can do

Damn haha. The box is fine nothing really happened to it, just the sub..

ya i don't know how he did it but we've sold a total of 2 new XXXs and he has blown a total of 2 of them. First one caught on fire obviously. I would show you with pics but we tried to clean it up to recone Monday

i still have the burnt ass coil/ former thou

The subsonic is on zero.

There's your problem...you MUST set your subsonic 2-3Hz below your tuning frequency of your enclosure. Otherwise..that happens.

How would a subsonic filter, a buffer against mechanical failure, help in this situation, which was a thermal failure? I'm not saying he shouldn't have it on, I just don't knnow how it could have helped. Unless maybe overexcursion from unloading stretched/frayed/broke the tinsels, and a resulting arc lit the spider on fire.

i would also assume since below tuning is essentially free air as ive read before you loose all that nice impedance gain you had before so you draw more current.

In the one picture it looks like part of the spider is still smoldering looks bright orange- like its still hot?

The subsonic is on zero.

There's your problem...you MUST set your subsonic 2-3Hz below your tuning frequency of your enclosure. Otherwise..that happens.

How would a subsonic filter, a buffer against mechanical failure, help in this situation, which was a thermal failure? I'm not saying he shouldn't have it on, I just don't knnow how it could have helped. Unless maybe overexcursion from unloading stretched/frayed/broke the tinsels, and a resulting arc lit the spider on fire.

Take a pop can or a piece of aluminum...

Stretch it to its mechanical limits (ie: playing under tuning with no subsonic filter) more than 20-30 times per second

See how much heat builds up and when it breaks...it's simple fatigue :)

The more you fatigue something the more likely it is to fail.

Now if you keep it within its mechanical limits (with a subsonic filter for example) it will not fail and it will bend back and forth like that all day every day.

The "orange" part is what happens when you start to burn the leads up with no subsonic filter / clipping. The spiders are treated so they will not actually catch on fire, but they will smolder. The yellow spiders turn a orange hue when they start to melt.

In the one picture it looks like part of the spider is still smoldering looks bright orange- like its still hot?

I had just taken the sub out the fire had just gone out..

I pop can isn't a flexible object like wire is I'm sorry I can't see how a subsonic would do this I could see it wear threw the spiders but not start a fire I'm guessing voltage dropped cause the amp to clip and that's what did it

thats my friends its an 18. pm him bout it.

Edited by iputon326