Sign in to follow this  
SpeakerBoy

I feel so lucky to have SSA

Sorry it's alot of reading, but it's a little funny. I got this from an ecoustics forum.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/241502.html

Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 02:36 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey everyone. i'm new...but i would like to share my thoughts.

Firstly, Ohms!!! For those who think it is a good idea to run everything at 1-ohms... i don't think you are very smart. Yes it does save a bit of money... but when running at low ohms, your amp will produce MASSIVE amounts of heat, and thus would need a lot of ventilation and that is not what you have if you are putting everything in the BOOT!!! Another reason not to run low ohms is because when running low ohms, there is just about ABSOLUTELY no amplification and as such its just straight through power from your battery to your subs. THIS WOULD BE SILLY. And because of this, you will loose significant dampening factor. in this Case, LOC_OUT, you have JL W6s, you must be going for Sound quality. For you to run your subs at 1 ohms, you would have less than 1/4 of the initial dampening factors, as such you will have distortion. There is also a higher chance of clipping, if your charging system cannot produce the power required for say... a Bass note of 1500watts. And if you get clipping, then say bye bye to your subs and your amp within around 2 months (because it is slowly being burnt inside out).

The second thought, is runing channels. i think it is best to run your subs on Mono because of the advantage of the low deep output gained from Class-D technology. From the amps you have listed, i favor the JL 1000/1 and the PPI PC2350. I own the JL 1000/1 and a similar PPI amp (PC-1400 sharkskin - 800wrms @ 2ohm). From my knowledge, the PPI PC1400/1800 has a few advantages over the PC2350 because of the aided frequency selections and some other handy functions. But thats not to say that the quality of the PC2350 is not as good. I have ran both amps on my subs, and to decide the victor, its very hard.

The JL 1000/1 is very good, JL has it this time making the amp's output is very clear and is capable of hitting those really LOW notes that are around 20-29hz. The output is extremely smooth like the PPI. But the PPI has a few advantages over the JL, that is its extremely advanced Q-bass and frequency selections. I find the subsonic filter on the PPI a bit better than the JL.

As for power, i've heard that the PPI is often heavily underrated, as such the PC2350 (1400wrms) can sometime produce above 1600wrms. But then again JL has also underrated their amps to a certain extent. But i've heard very little about their ability to go above 1000wrms. I mean if you open up the JL 1000/1 and the PC2350 and compare... you'll find the JL 1000/1 to be more packed with capacitors and posibily a larger coil. BUT does this really matter??

As for the Phoenix Gold, I ask a question to you people... have you actually own and tested out the JL and the PPI? Don't judge it if you haven't used it. I've own Phoenix Gold amps for a fairly long time now...and have found that the stuff they are making nowadays are not as good as what it used to me. I have owned the QX, XS, ZX and even the M series Amps. In my experience, i've found PPI to be a grade above the Phoenix Golds (strictly OLD school here).

I don't mean to sound like i know everything because there are a lot to learn, i'm just sharing what i know. I don't like it when people show up and say things from how little their experience, and yet act like they know it all. I've met people who claim to be a full Audiophile, yet have never heard of PPI, Orion, Hifonics, Audiocontrol, Dynaudios, MA audio, etc... These are the people i don't bother with, but it is a good feeling when i rock up with a system that turns heads and yet they don't have a clue what i'm running.

Well... Overall, the choice between the JL Audio 1000/1 and the PPI PC2350 is yours. Remember, you are comparing two amps from two eras, New/Current to Old school. I would personally go for the PPI as i am old-school and POOR. But if you have the money, then go for the JL 1000/1. You can pick them up for around $500AU second hand (i've just sold mine on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013%26item%3D230000943091%26 &sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT%26). And depending on where you live, picking up a PPI PC2350 may be a bit difficult.

Anyways, If anyone has any objections to what i've said, feel free to give positive criticism. Just don't dis me!!!

HAHA... wow :lol2:

"yo dude i gots a hifonics brutus mono amp with that supreme class d technology running my 2 10" brutus subs, and I be turnin heads all day"

epic fail nice find

HAHA... wow :lol2:

"yo dude i gots a hifonics brutus mono amp with that supreme class d technology running my 2 10" brutus subs, and I be turnin heads all day"

epic fail nice find

Thanks, I laughed til i cried :wacky:

We try to keep the retards weaned out of here, or educate them. :)

We try to keep the retards weaned out of here, or educate them. :)

Amen

i used to be on ecoustics......that is why i left.

they do pwn lots-o-noobs there though its fun

Edited by justiin smith

oh lawd .....

somebody shoot me !

I am still afraid of this 1 ohm thing !!!

I run my 15" Icon sub with 650wrms at 4 ohms, and it plays very well : the output is FANTASTIC !!! I had to turn down the gain because my trunk lid was going to explode !

1ohm is suitable for some good quality amps, but I really think it's better to run amps at higher ohms (2, even 4 ohms) when you can afford it.

What do you think about it ?

The moment I saw ecoustics, I knew it was going to be sad.

I am still afraid of this 1 ohm thing !!!

I run my 15" Icon sub with 650wrms at 4 ohms, and it plays very well : the output is FANTASTIC !!! I had to turn down the gain because my trunk lid was going to explode !

1ohm is suitable for some good quality amps, but I really think it's better to run amps at higher ohms (2, even 4 ohms) when you can afford it.

What do you think about it ?

For an amplifier which is stable at one ohm there shouldn't be any problems with running it at that impedance. Using it at 2 or 4 ohms makes it easier a bit. Less chance of overheating.

If the output is enough for you with 650w, I don't see any reason to give it more power :)

The moment I saw ecoustics, I knew it was going to be sad.

:gift: How does it feel to be so right?

Bump for hilarity.

That site is good for a few laughs from time to time.

That Was The Stupidest Thing I Have Ever Read, Apart From My Idiot Find On Youtube. The General Public Is Full Of Uneducated Retards. Remember That.

"Yea Mayne Mah Hyephonikkz Ampz Makes Shitz Go b00m!!11111!, EYe'm Da Loudestest Muhfugga In Da c-wordry!111!!"

For an amplifier which is stable at one ohm there shouldn't be any problems with running it at that impedance.

not to mention box rise. it will most likely not see 1 ohm for very long at all, if at all

Bump for Funny-ness.