Sign in to follow this  
Hell-Razor

Is this possible?

This made me smile if its truthful. I hope to be able to break 110 dB once I get both of my amps strapped to my 15. But still, is it most likely his in car speakers doing that? Or is it his sub?

Of course that's possible. Completely plausible.

I have a feeling you will break 110 dB with.... almost any setup that includes a subwoofer. ;)

lol i hit more than 110 with my xtr orions at 450 rms 800 max . very nice subs i gave them to my wife though when i heard a fi btl lol

if a 154-155 is possible with 1 15", a 147 is definitely possible. i did a 147.xx with a solo x 18" in an old old setup. and imo BTL > solo x

His in-car speakers? Really? Not even close. They're probably at like 115-120 db. Some of those mics don't even measure anything above bass frequencies.

Lmao, There Are People Out There Hitting Higher Than That With One 10", 147.xx dB Is Highly Plausible On A 15" BTL, Hell, It's Actually Lower From What People Normally Score With One, But It's In A Trunk Car.

A dude a few years ago, I want to say Nate Munson, but not sure if that's right at all, was hitting 170+ with a single 10". I think it was on an AC mic because it was before termlab days, but whatever.

As has been said a thousand times, the install is everything. Equipment is almost nothing.

A dude a few years ago, I want to say Nate Munson, but not sure if that's right at all, was hitting 170+ with a single 10". I think it was on an AC mic because it was before termlab days, but whatever.

As has been said a thousand times, the install is everything. Equipment is almost nothing.

:faintthud:x2

Pretty sure i could FART a 110dB+...

It doesn't take much IMO to even hit a 140+ with a 15" even without a ton of power... I hit well over 140 with an HDC315 and like 1200 watts

If its easy to hit well over 140 dB then why are there only like state records and national records of 160dB?

Also, how is the install everything (or 50/50 in Earsplitter's terms)?

Edited by Hell-Razor

if u do 160 in street class, u have a TON of experience and knowledge.

50/50 install/equip imo.

no way. definitely more like 80/20 install/equipment

If its easy to hit well over 140 dB then why are there only like state records and national records of 160dB?

put a good sub in a crappy ass box, and you'll get crappy ass sound. put a crappy ass sub in a spectacular box and you'll get great sound.

if u do 160 in street class, u have a TON of experience and knowledge.

And / or a Fiat Panda

:wacky:

Freaking Panda prices need to drop :angry22:

Basshead -- I checked out your Box Tuning Calculator, its pretty sweet i will definitely use it in my build! Except I don't think I am going to make mine the average box so to speak, I am thinking more of a L shaped box with the woofer facing up and towards the driver and the magnet facing out of the box and down towards the street at about a 45 degree angle. I hope I can still use this calculator...

And what does tuning the box say to 30hz vs 40 hz... or 20hz vs 30hz? Is one "louder" than the other? Or is one more SPL vs Daily? I don't know I am still trying to learn about all this stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

The Higher The Tune, The Louder It Will Be, But Will Limit Your Song Choices And Extension, Also Move Less Air Due To Less Port Velocity. I Generally Like Either Low Or Daily Tuning. 26hz For Crazy Low To About 30hz. 31hz - 34hz Is Generally Excepted As Daily. 35hz - 38hz Is On The SPL Side, And Higher Than That Is A Fartbox That Should Only Play Tones. Lower Tuning Also Generally Gives You More Sound Quality. It Just Feels Empty To Me When A Box Is Tuned High, I Don't Like It, It's Loud To The Ear But Not Felt As Much As It Should. There's Also A Big Difference Between 140dB And 160dB, Hell, It's A Huge Difference Between 155dB And 160dB.

Is it a no no to tune below what they recommend? I think the 15" BTL is rated for 30-35hz tuning. If I tuned mine to say, 28hz would I be doing something I shouldn't? (Just a thought)

I want to be doing dB / bass races (is there a difference?) eventually with this car. I will probably start... eh towards winter and head around a few states close to Wisconsin. I know Chicago has a bunch of them but then you go against the big dogs there (and yes I understand there are categories). I want to turn heads with this sub (sound good) but I also want to be able to do decent on the single sub single amp category. Are these two different thing though? Quality vs good competition status?

Edited by Hell-Razor

#1. No.

#2. You Might Want To Tune Around 30hz-32hz If You Want To Be A Solid Competitior And Sound Really Good. My Old Three Slug Version Did Very Well On 29hz, But I Never Metered It.

Edited by BigCProductions99

I don't think you realize the difference in decibels. You're thinking of it like oh, I whisper 50 db so going from 140 db to 190 db should just be like going from not saying anything to a whisper. Only it's not like that. The decibel scale is logarithmic. So while going from 120 to 130 db is 10 times more intense, going from 120 to 140 db is 100 times more intense. 120 to 150 is 1,000 times more intense. etc.

There is also a limit to how loud things get naturally. The atmosphere doesn't allow for over I think 194 db? from things like this.

Sign in to follow this