7ender

Can I still use this BTL?

Well, first post here. I'm a long time member of caraudio.com/forums, but browse here frequently.

So basically, I just bought a BTL off ca.com and want to know if it'll still be able to use it. It has a snapped tinsel lead and some holes burnt in the spider (see pics below). I was wondering if you guys think i'll be able to just replace the tinsel leads and use it like it is. I asked quite a few people over at ca.com about it, and most seemed to think I would be able to get away with just doing that. Obviously, i don't know much about recones/repairing subs.

I already regret buying it...I'm on a super tight college budget and when I saw the cheap price I couldn't help it. If it does need a recone, i'll probably just resell it and take a small loss. I know these older BTL's are notorious for this happening and iv'e read all the threads I could but I coudlnt' really figure out what i'll need to do.

If it matters, the previous owner was using it off a bxi2006d (though I dont see how 1600 watts or so could have done this?) and I will be too.

Pics:

img0128ql6.jpg

img0036lp4.jpg

img0037gp3.jpg

img0038sm6.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Damn, Don't See Much Of Those Anymore.

It Was Probably Clipped All To Shit, That And Excessive Tinsel Slap.

A Recone Should Do It, It Won't Be That Expensive.

Edited by BigCProductions99

Ahh, crap. I think i'll just sell it then. By the time I pay for a recone, it's going to be more than I can afford to pay for a sub :(.

There's no way to fix this so it's just in "working" condition? I know it's not the right way to do it...but I can't afford a recone.

Why Don't You Contact Nick About A Recone And See How Much It Would Cost, First.

nick@ficaraudio.com

There's Alot Of People That Would Like To Get Their Hands On That Sub, For A Damn Good Reason.

I'll Never Sell My Three Slug BTL Motor, Never.

I think it was 110 including shipping back to me for a 12" BTL recone some time beginning of this year. I am in kentucky so it may a little different depending on your location.

There's Alot Of People That Would Like To Get Their Hands On That Sub, For A Damn Good Reason.

Why?

BTW. . .did you notice that is a 2 slug motor?

I know a recone will fix it...lol I was just wondering if there was a way to fix it and use it as it is.

Frankly, I don't have the ~100$ i'll need for a recone, and adding that to the price I paid for this sub i'll have paid way too much :(.

Why?

BTW. . .did you notice that is a 2 slug motor?

...Yeah, I Noticed That, Brian. Lmao. :suicide-santa:

The Reason I Said That Is Because You Really Don't See Them Much Anymore, But I Digress.

Any more opinions on this?

I guess what i'm asking is what if I were to have someone just replace the tinsels for me? Obviously it's not the best thing to do, but it's the cheapest and if it'll work i'd much prefer to just have that done.

Any more opinions on this?

I guess what i'm asking is what if I were to have someone just replace the tinsels for me? Obviously it's not the best thing to do, but it's the cheapest and if it'll work i'd much prefer to just have that done.

u can solder those things yourself ...and as u noticed the spider is Fd up to ... :Doh:

Yeah I read through the tutorials and i'm not sure if I feel comfortable doing it. And yeah-about the spider, that's what i'm wondering about....if the sub will still work/function with the spider in that condition.

Yeah I read through the tutorials and i'm not sure if I feel comfortable doing it. And yeah-about the spider, that's what i'm wondering about....if the sub will still work/function with the spider in that condition.

if u dont feel doin that...get a recone << i would .... and the spider will eventualy rip itself apart

Or I You Feel Like Doing It The 'Po Boy Route, You Can Duct Tape The Spider And Solder The Tinsels.

/endjoke. :suicide-santa:

You win some, and you lose some. Unfortunately, today you lost. Sell it and cut your losses. Use your money for school. Focus on school first, after wards you wont have to worry about buying used. :) Trust me. Sometimes I wish I had focused on right things. Then again I take meds, so what do I know. Best of luck.

just solder it for now.

bang the heck out of it then get a recone when you can.

after recone it will be even better.

by then you may even get an amp as nice as that subwoofer.

if not how much you selling this one for blown. ?

Don't know how much i'd sell it for, or what it's worth.

I think i'll try and use it with just some new tinsels for now. Fi is going to send me some soon (I hope....).

Anything I could do to the spider to prolong it's life? i know the duct tape thing was a joke..but hey, would it help at all? lol

Here's another thing to think about.

If the outside condition of the sub looks that bad, I doubt the coils are in pristine condition either. That sub looks like it was beat to hell and back, and there's a reason they changed those tinsel leads to prevent slapping the spider.

I doubt soldering will hold for long, if at all, but if it does you may as well run it to the ground. The spider will likely tear eventually, then the coil will rock and scrape and die a painful (but hopefully quick) death. Then its recone time, for sure. Or sell it as a motor. Personally I see this as putting it on life support, you may as well just pull the plug :P

putting new tinsels will take care of it.

ive run subs w cracked spiders before......it wasnt 100% but it worked fine.

Anyone know where I can get some tinsel lead? I decided ill try replacing the tinsel leads and just see how long that holds up.

Ive been trying to contact Fi, but cant get a response. Is there any other way to get some? I would just keep waiting for a response...but im pretty excited to hear this btl!

Anyone know where I can get some tinsel lead? I decided ill try replacing the tinsel leads and just see how long that holds up.

Ive been trying to contact Fi, but cant get a response. Is there any other way to get some? I would just keep waiting for a response...but im pretty excited to hear this btl!

if you can't get tinsel leads give me a pm.

i don't have tinsel leads but i do have silver braid in different sizes.

if your interested squish your old tinsel flat and measure how wide it is.

you would be better off waitig for fi

Just thought i'd update this.

Replaced the tinsels a few days ago, as well as the dustcap. I decided to be ghetto, and cut up some spider I had from another woofer (RE MT) and patched the holes in the BTL spider using it.

It's running fine so far!! This thing pounds. Hopefully it'll last awhile :)

And to the poster above me, I ride a CRF450 too!