ChrisToF

gaahh one of my subs blew

i just recently bought 2 BLs and got them installed last friday and only 2 days after having them one of them blew. i couldnt tell u how bcuz i wasnt playing them near loud enough. i tried blaming the store that installed them bcuz they did such a sh***y job lol. do i send an email to sales@ficaraudio.com to report this and send it back to them?

What box? What amplifier? Was it mechanical or heat-related damage?

What box? What amplifier? Was it mechanical or heat-related damage?

not really sure wat kinda box. i bought it at the store and they custom fit it to fit my ext cab ranger. im running a SAZ2000D. they didnt say if it was mechanical or heat related. how can i tell?

Doesnt sound like you know much about whats going on. Describe whats going on, like if its making some type of noise, or maybe just one of the wires became disconnected. It may not be blown at all, just dont start pointing fingers... :coolugh::P:P

Is the box sealed? Ported? Take some measurements so we can figure out the size of the box, and if it's ported, take measurements of the height, width, and depth of the port. Take the sub out of the box. If there are rips in the surround, spider, disconnected glue joints, etc., it's mechanical. If you can smell burning, can see a darkened voice coil through cooling holes, or the cone of the sub will not physically move and seems frozen in place, it's thermal.

All, I know from my experence with a shop. My buddy brought his old school XXX to a mobile one, for them to install it. He brought it over my house after they were done, it sounded a bit werid, so I went to check the amp. The gain was all the way up, so I would also think about the shop. Also, you have to think of it from the stand point, they set it wrong so you could come back. Then they can tell you, you should have bought stuff from them all along.

Doesnt sound like you know much about whats going on. Describe whats going on, like if its making some type of noise, or maybe just one of the wires became disconnected. It may not be blown at all, just dont start pointing fingers... :coolugh::P:P

i took it back to the audio shop. he pushed on it and said it was blown bcuz he could feel something rubbing, im not sure wat it was, though im sure its something obvious, so he took it out. i looked at it and no the voicecoils rnt burnt. nothing smells burnt. i messaged scott so im sure ill get it taken care of.

Need to know what kind of box they are/were in, all the specs to it, tuning frequency, size, how they are firing, how they are wired, settings on the amplifier etc.

Speakers are simply dumb..they don't blow themselves for no good reason :)

Thanks!

Nick

i just recently bought 2 BLs and got them installed last friday and only 2 days after having them one of them blew. i couldnt tell u how bcuz i wasnt playing them near loud enough. i tried blaming the store that installed them bcuz they did such a sh***y job lol. do i send an email to sales@ficaraudio.com to report this and send it back to them?

well did you brake in the sub because if you run it too hard at first you will get it blown so i sugest you check the wireing and contact fi audio

that wont happen?

Actually you should be able to run more power when they are new due to stiffer spider...

It's not suggested to pound like crazy on a brand new sub because it may not break the spider in evenly... not blow it.

that wont happen?

Actually you should be able to run more power when they are new due to stiffer spider...

It's not suggested to pound like crazy on a brand new sub because it may not break the spider in evenly... not blow it.

well my buddy and i agreed with each other and we really know audio that all subs need to be broken in buy putting it a less that 1/4 of your volume for a day or 2 of playing with it

this is so the spider "breaks in" evenly. It's not like the sub is still drying or still curing...

You break it in so as the spider loosens up, it loosens up evenly so you do not get uneven breakin, i dont know how else to word it.

You will get the best output potential for a properly broken in spider.

I've wanged on plenty of subs brand new as long as i limited excursion during the testing phases to see how loud some installs can go. I've never had a problem damaging a sub from excessive power. Now when excursion starts movin, i run it on low levels on the spider doesn't break in unevenly.

well i played them for a good 2 to 3 solid days without turning it up to loud to be on the safe side. so u might as well forget that factor. i got ahold of them but they havnt answered in about 4 days. not trying to be a jerk or anything but i really wanna get this thing shipped back quickly to see what happened, and hopefully they can fix it instead of me having to buy another one.

I've had a lot of people tell me to break a sub in gradually turning it up for days, but it can take weeks. It took about a month for my BTLs to really break in. I had no problems giving them full power right from the box.

Just listen to music like normal and it will break in gradually.

Hope the shop helps you out, seems like they are avoiding you while they figure out what they're going to say to get out of it. Good luck.

this is so the spider "breaks in" evenly. It's not like the sub is still drying or still curing...

You break it in so as the spider loosens up, it loosens up evenly so you do not get uneven breakin, i dont know how else to word it.

I've wanged on plenty of subs brand new as long as i limited excursion during the testing phases to see how loud some installs can go. I've never had a problem damaging a sub from excessive power. Now when excursion starts movin, i run it on low levels on the spider doesn't break in unevenly.

well there is a coating of some sort of plastic that that put of for shiping and that you need to met it but putting it at less than 1/4 of your or you with make it buble and make it all like this :suicide-santa:

Need to know what kind of box they are/were in, all the specs to it, tuning frequency, size, how they are firing, how they are wired, settings on the amplifier etc.

Speakers are simply dumb..they don't blow themselves for no good reason :)

Thanks!

Nick

Answer these questions :)

If it is a warranty issue..we'll definitely get it taken care of. I need to know this information.

PS, You don't need to 'break in' your subs. They'll do that with father time at the reins.

well i dont know "all the specs" thats y i had professoinals do it. i just printed out wat u guys suggested in the tech forum and gave it to them and they said theyd get as close as possible. if u mean the size of the subs then they r 12s. they r firing towards my seat with ports facing up. this is all in an ext cab truck by the way. im guessing they r wired parallel i didnt ask or look. i dont have my truck right now so it is kind of difficult.

sorry im just kinda new to this stuff

well i dont know "all the specs" thats y i had professoinals do it. i just printed out wat u guys suggested in the tech forum and gave it to them and they said theyd get as close as possible. if u mean the size of the subs then they r 12s. they r firing towards my seat with ports facing up. this is all in an ext cab truck by the way. im guessing they r wired parallel i didnt ask or look. i dont have my truck right now so it is kind of difficult.

I would wait until you get ur truck so you can measure everything out and let Nick know whats going on so he can help you.

from experience alot of times when you have "pros" build you a box off of something you printed out the useully just put a box together and send you on ur way.

take some pics of the blown sub and post them also some pics with the way the wired it would help us help you

I had the guy that has my truck measure the box and the height was 25 inches the width was 49 inches and the depth was 10 inches on top and 15 inches on bottom. idk how to do the tuning frequency. the gain is turned up about 3/4.

I had the guy that has my truck measure the box and the height was 25 inches the width was 49 inches and the depth was 10 inches on top and 15 inches on bottom. idk how to do the tuning frequency. the gain is turned up about 3/4.

And poof goes the subwoofer.

I have a few questons i would like for you to answer bro, it will help every one out for sure

1. What ohm sub's do u have and how are they wired?( you can check the ohm load with a dmm you put the + on the + side of your amp and the - of the dmm on the - on the amp)ps its a up side down u on your dmm and put it at the lowest number it might say 200k or so

2.What radio do u have, is it 2 volts or 4 volts that will effect how your gain should be set

3. The shop you went to do they know about fi subs

Here is what i think they wired it up put it in a box to small , turned the deck up and said ok ok ok turn the gain up ok thats good. i would like to know on a side note do they do big jobs or do they try to sell there own subs ( jbl kicker mtx you get the idea)

One last thing its not a shoot at you but bro come on you paid all this money and you have no idea wtf is goin on. You have to get your sh it together i doubt Fi will do anything for free for u cuz u have no info to give them. You might need a recone bro good luck.

Edited by 1mtx1

well there is a coating of some sort of plastic that that put of for shiping and that you need to met it but putting it at less than 1/4 of your or you with make it buble and make it all like this :suicide-santa:

Anyone reading disregard this. You won't harm your sub if you don't break it in.

I have a few questons i would like for you to answer bro, it will help every one out for sure

1. What ohm sub's do u have and how are they wired?( you can check the ohm load with a dmm you put the + on the + side of your amp and the - of the dmm on the - on the amp)ps its a up side down u on your dmm and put it at the lowest number it might say 200k or so

2.What radio do u have, is it 2 volts or 4 volts that will effect how your gain should be set

3. The shop you went to do they know about fi subs

Here is what i think they wired it up put it in a box to small , turned the deck up and said ok ok ok turn the gain up ok thats good. i would like to know on a side note do they do big jobs or do they try to sell there own subs ( jbl kicker mtx you get the idea)

One last thing its not a shoot at you but bro come on you paid all this money and you have no idea wtf is goin on. You have to get your sh it together i doubt Fi will do anything for free for u cuz u have no info to give them. You might need a recone bro good luck.

they r dual 1 ohm and wired parallel. i have a cda 9886 its 4 volts. and no they did not know anything about them so i told em to look it up lol. as for big jobs im not really sure. i only went there to get my cda and my subs put in. they did an ok job. the finish wasnt great but it sounded awesome so i wasnt complaining. i was eventually going to do something with the finish though bcuz it was bothering me. nothing major im just picky i guess.

and to duran, if 3/4 is to high then how high should it be set. or how can i figure out how high it should be set.

you need a dmm to check the ohm at the amp, and u need a dmm to set your gain the RIGHT way.u can use a 50 hz test tone and u can even do this with out havin your subs connected.most people can do it by ear and some amps will let u know if your cliping the hell out of your amp. Audio q amps have that. And do u have any kind of bass boost on as far as your deck setings go?Or even a loud seting on u dont wana use any of that stuff try to keep it flat as possible.