podaddy

Subwoofer design software?

I have been scouring the net for a couple days, searching every form of the phrase "Subwoofer design software" and have found nothing but enclosure design programs and port length/size calculators. Anyone know of anything that would help me? Delving into the other side, designing and building my own subwoofer. I don't have the capability to press cones or mold baskets, nothing huge yet. But I'd like to choose my own magnets and construct a motor structure and my own voice coils. I would prefer a graphics-based type of program. And no point in telling me I can't pull this off.. maybe true but I'm the type that will try it anyway and eff with things until I'm defeated or I kick its ass. Let me know.

I doubt you will find one. Just look up tutorials or what not. However, its not easy to choose everything on your own and build it for the purpose you want unless you know some serious info on subwoofers and their parts.

If you need that much help in the process perhaps you should put your energy into something else.

If you have to have a graphical based program perhaps you should look more into theory to learn more about your quest and what it will actually take.

i dont know anything except this

talk to mach5audio and see if and what he uses and then, u will need to go buy that sub tester from partsexpress.com (which is a great place to start buying subwoofer parts) and get a real t/s parameter off of your sub so u can have some real info to go off of.

In order to do anything more than piss in the wind you are going to have to have a more methodical and mathematical approach than throw some stuff together and then use a Dayton woofer tester. Figure out the theory and how different things actually change the end result. Unless you have quite a bit of money and time to sink into this its not worth it. Don't mean to be raining on a parade here, but to actually do this with no aforementioned knowledge, it is NOT going to be cheap or easy.

i dont know anything except this

talk to mach5audio and see if and what he uses and then, u will need to go buy that sub tester from partsexpress.com (which is a great place to start buying subwoofer parts) and get a real t/s parameter off of your sub so u can have some real info to go off of.

The woofer tester won't help at all. In fact, I'd say if you can't figure out how to test drivers without the woofer tester then there is no way in hell you can design something.

Another fact for the OP. You may be able to design something that works, but it won't be as good as what you can buy off the shelf and the prototype alone will cost you more than 20x what buying what would work for you will.

I see no other way to approach designing a sub but methodically and mathematically..If I wanted to buy a bunch of parts and slap them together and throw it in the trunk of my car, not only would I be an idiot, but I would be wasting my time by talking about it in a forum such as this. I'm also fully aware that development of a prototype is neither cheap or easy; nothing worth doing ever is. The guys that started Fi and RE for example..they started somewhere, probably by taking a knife to some shitty driver they bought for $10. And then doing their homework. Sinking their money and effort into making something better. Now these guys make some of the baddest shit on the planet..you guys know this. I'm not trying to go for a get-rich-quick scenario or even a get-rich-at-all scenario. I just know it can be done.

///M5..you have seen many try this and fail no? You seem to be the expert in "you can't pull this off".. This won't be for me, I run Fi. In fact, nothing you posted here was of any help at all. Why waste your time?

Edited by podaddy

Have I seen failures? Yep, including by many professionals. Considering you didn't state any of the fundamental background required to either make this a good thread nor to show you could actually use the software I must assume that you too will fail.

Do you have any advice M5? For a bad thread it certainly keeps you coming back. If you were hoping you'd find a list of credentials that suggest that I know what I'm doing, you won't, because I don't. But your criticism isn't even constructive.

Edited by podaddy

Does he ever have advice? No just comes in and talks shit with rude comments about how dumb everyone is compared to him, cause he knows the other mods will jump someones ass if they talk back to him..

Edited by AlanHall

Does he ever have advice? No just comes in and talks shit with rude comments about how dumb everyone is compared to him, cause he knows the other mods will jump someones ass if they talk back to him..

Sorry, but that is just not true i've seen him give plenty of advice, good advice at that. If you abide by the posting guidelines then people can help. What is more annoying is threads that don't and then the first 10 post are asking about the needed information, then the advice comes.

Sorry, but that is just not true i've seen him give plenty of advice, good advice at that. If you abide by the posting guidelines then people can help. What is more annoying is threads that don't and then the first 10 post are asking about the needed information, then the advice comes.

X2 it gets frustrating that so few read the guidelines, all too often the "simple question" threads are the most complicated for this reason. M/5 offers great advice when asked a question properly, he has forgotten more about car audio then I have ever known. He can't answer a question that is impossible to answer.

so the OP didnt follow "guildlines" in this post? so that opens the door to be a jerk? ohhh ok i get it ..

Edited by AlanHall

I dont see anywhere where he was a jerk, he was telling the truth which may sound harsh.