7 members have voted

1. 1. Is it worth 550 + shipping?

Well I have been talking about this and other head units on another forum but i want to get peoples opinions on this one.

Eclipse CD7200 mk II

Would you use this one for the price? If not which one would you go for?

What do you think about it?

On a scale 1 to 10 what would you rate it?

If it could be out done by another head unit what is it (equal or lesser price)?

If you would get a cheaper one, which one would you get?

What is it missing?

and last what are you guys using? I am looking for blue tooth and and iPod connection. I don't care about hd audio and all that stuff.

All of this is going into a 2002 VW Passat without a Monsoon system. So the deck isn't quite a double din but its just shy so a double din will not work.

Edited by Hell-Razor

Crutchfield is overpriced on their equipment. You can get that headunit over at Sonic Electronixs for 399.99 plus shipping. Now with that price their are 2 other great active headunits, Either the pioneer 800Prs or the Alpine 9887.

The Eclipse is a dead head (a headunit without an amplifier built in) meaning you have to have amps for all the speakers

Crutchfield is overpriced on their equipment. You can get that headunit over at Sonic Electronixs for 399.99 plus shipping. Now with that price their are 2 other great active headunits, Either the pioneer 800Prs or the Alpine 9887.

The Eclipse is a dead head (a headunit without an amplifier built in) meaning you have to have amps for all the speakers

I have this head unit. It is avery good peace of equipment. Sq. Is very good. Has a 8 volt ouyput,bluetooth,jumpdrive capabilty. Staging is very manageable. Has online down loads. Remote control does not have a great range,tho. Over all a goodhead unit. I rate it a 9.

X2. This unit has no built-in amplifier for door speakers, so only if you're using amps to power all speakers then you should get it. If not I'd look into in Pioneer Premier 800PRS at SonicElectronix.

You are going about this backwards. Instead of telling us what you won't use, perhaps share what you will. Silly to spend that much if you aren't using the active crossovers IMO. Also if you aren't sure what a parametric eq is that stereo could easily have your system sounding worse than if you had something much cheaper.

You are going about this backwards. Instead of telling us what you won't use, perhaps share what you will. Silly to spend that much if you aren't using the active crossovers IMO. Also if you aren't sure what a parametric eq is that stereo could easily have your system sounding worse than if you had something much cheaper.

What I wont use? I haven't really said anything about what I wont use. I am all for unknown companies when it comes to anything cause I believe in helping them start out. Yes it may turn out to be junk but I understand that fully. I am just looking for a head unit.

And I don't know what speakers I want yet for my front end so its hard to say what amp I am going to get. I am 90% sure I will be amplifying my front end though.

What I wont use? I haven't really said anything about what I wont use. I am all for unknown companies when it comes to anything cause I believe in helping them start out. Yes it may turn out to be junk but I understand that fully. I am just looking for a head unit.

And I don't know what speakers I want yet for my front end so its hard to say what amp I am going to get. I am 90% sure I will be amplifying my front end though.

Have you looked at speakers for the front??

If so are you looking at componets??

Edited by sqjeep

only option other that that would be the P800PRS...

also on that same situation... havent decided yet. seems to me both are good, but have diff. sonic characteristics... P800 having i think the warmer sound, while the eclipse having the more neutral sound... better check your list of equipment... and see possibilities of it complementing the entire system...

Components come with a crossover and a tweeter right? I am looking for speakers for the front end here trink40.gif

Yes componets come with a mid, tweet, and crossover. So if you go with that headunit and use componets you wouldn't use the deck to its fullest potential and like ///M5 said it will be a waste of money. Have you ever used an eq?? If so which one??

how about a JVC AVX77? I have that h/u installed and i jsut love it!! the awesome touch screen and easy to use ipod features! plus the abiltiy to put your own pics as back ground is awesome! PLUS you can even watch movies and play DVD MP3 disk on it!!! it has all the bells and whistles plus looks awesome!

like i say i own it and i love it and i am glad i purchased it! but i purchased mine off of EBAY b/c it was much cheaper (bnib of course)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDAVX77/JVC-KD-AVX77.html?search=jvc+avx77&tp=20217

check it out! it is the h/u i own and i have owned about 3 head units as of now and this one is my favorite! (i usd to have a pioneer 880phr, kenwood 817dvd (flipout), and some other single din kenwood back in the day!)

If you don't know what an active crossover is, how are you going to use it?

You mistook my post. STOP asking about this or that and instead describe your goals. So far all I can tell is you have read a bunch on audio boards and have been completely misled by reading posts from the wrong people. You aren't a 7200 buyer, you probably aren't a BTL buyer, and you surely shouldn't be looking at the Hertz set you defined. Can they all work? Sure, but for what you want they will all just cost you extra money.

I also didn't know what an active setup was so i posted a question! so i hope this answers your question!

how about a JVC AVX77? I have that h/u installed and i jsut love it!! the awesome touch screen and easy to use ipod features! plus the abiltiy to put your own pics as back ground is awesome! PLUS you can even watch movies and play DVD MP3 disk on it!!! it has all the bells and whistles plus looks awesome!

like i say i own it and i love it and i am glad i purchased it! but i purchased mine off of EBAY b/c it was much cheaper (bnib of course)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDAVX77/JVC-KD-AVX77.html?search=jvc+avx77&tp=20217

check it out! it is the h/u i own and i have owned about 3 head units as of now and this one is my favorite! (i usd to have a pioneer 880phr, kenwood 817dvd (flipout), and some other single din kenwood back in the day!)

I was actually looking at this one when I first started my head unit search...makes me happy somebody suggested the one I really liked!

I was actually looking at this one when I first started my head unit search...makes me happy somebody suggested the one I really liked!

what turned me on to that h/u was when i had my flipout 7inch monitor! i was really happy with the touch screen and the ability to watch movies and playback dvd mp3 disk on it! so when i went searching for a similar one that 5.4inch monitor just pop out like a sore thumb and i had to have it! I got rid of my 7inch flipout b/c it blocked my vents and the h/u itself wouldn't retract. sure i spend 450 on ebay for it (CAD around 400USD) but i am over it and i love this h/u! OO AND worthy of mension is it's bluetooth feature! keep in mind though it is bluetooth 1.2 (comonly used on LG cell phones) this is not bluetooth 1 or 2 but 1.2 the inbetween bluetooth! also beable to change my backgroudn to anythign is always hot! i can make the pic of me and my gf or a pic of some other girl(s) if you catch my drift lol!! ;)

happy h/u hunting and if you get the avx77 it is killer h/u i recommend it!

If you don't know what an active crossover is, how are you going to use it?

You mistook my post. STOP asking about this or that and instead describe your goals. So far all I can tell is you have read a bunch on audio boards and have been completely misled by reading posts from the wrong people. You aren't a 7200 buyer, you probably aren't a BTL buyer, and you surely shouldn't be looking at the Hertz set you defined. Can they all work? Sure, but for what you want they will all just cost you extra money.

I know I am probably not the best at all of this and I am trying to figure it out. My goals are... to get the best damn system I can. I want something that plays death metal loud and clear but can also play classical just as well and then everything far and in between. As for the head unit (speaker conversation is here) I want something with blue tooth and able to work with my iPod touch first gen. If the head unit has an active crossover / whatever I will read up on it once I get there. Same with installing all this stuff, I have posted in the how-to section for a little help because I am starting to get things organized and put together...

Now the reason why I put the Hertz is because thats what I heard at my local shop and I thought they sounded awesome. Sense its a waste of money sorry, that I did not know. I am just basing everything I figured out about those speakers sense I was able to touch them, to hear them, to mess around with some of the settings on the deck that's why I picked them. Also same with the deck, the deck that was connected to the hertz speaker was the 7200. The shop guy moved the wiring from one deck to another and I have to say the 7200 is the one that made a huge improvement and all that he did was move the wiring from deck A to deck B, nothing tweaked. Yes it may be a marketing scam to get us to buy the best one but I dont know and that is why I am on here to find a head unit.

What do you guys think of http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDAVX77/JVC-KD-AVX77.html?search=jvc+avx77&tp=20217 now? yes? no?

Also. please take into account that when I start to learn more about tweaking and putzing around with stuff I would like to not think to my self "oh this was a waste, why did I buy this when all I had to do was spend 20$ more...) I would like some growing room. Thats why I want the BTL, thats maybe why I took into account the 7200....thats why. Simply put, I want speakers for a street beater and a comp car on the side. Am I expecting to blow people out of the water? Well kind of... Will I? probably not the first or second or third time, but I would like to. I am trying to tackle this project head on and so far I am getting run over...

Edited by Hell-Razor

Ok lets take a step back here.

What equipment do you physically have/all ready ordered??

Cause to me if you are getting/have the SAX 50.4 I wouldn't worry about a headunit that has active crossovers cause that amp has them on it. That gives you the ablity down the road to try active if you would like. I have a kenwood KDC x692 and it does what i need it to do. It has a 24 dac, a 3 band parametric eq, cable for ipod, all you would need to buy would be the bluetooth adapter.

Cause to me if you are getting/have the SAX 50.4 I wouldn't worry about a headunit that has active crossovers cause that amp has them on it. That gives you the ablity down the road to try active if you would like. I have a kenwood KDC x692 and it does what i need it to do. It has a 24 dac, a 3 band parametric eq, cable for ipod, all you would need to buy would be the bluetooth adapter.

i dont have a single piece of equipment yet...not even wire

i dont have a single piece of equipment yet...not even wire

What is your budget for your entire system??

well cheaper the better obviously. I am hoping to stay under 3000 but if need be I can stretch it a little more.

I know I want at least a 2500 watt amp, a 18" BTL, at least 1 Powermaster XS DC3100 battery and the biggest starting battery I can fit inside my car. I will probably upgrade my alt after I pay this all off.

Edited by Hell-Razor

so you are looking for SPL application, cause you say you want to compete so you a looking at putting up numbers on a TL right??

so you are looking for SPL application, cause you say you want to compete so you a looking at putting up numbers on a TL right??

Correct. I would like to compete eventually. But I dont want a system that just "burps". I want to also use this car for a daily driver and street beater.

Whats a TL?

Correct. I would like to compete eventually. But I dont want a system that just "burps". I want to also use this car for a daily driver and street beater.

Whats a TL?

A tl(termlab) is the meter that is used to get your numbers

What vehicle are you planning on using??

Whats a TL?

A tl(termlab) is the meter that is used to get your numbers

What vehicle are you planning on using??

2002 VW Passat Sedan style