gearstix

2005 Blazer.. Mach 5 SPL-12s..build.

I'm copying this from ***..

Well I guess I'll post up here too.

Here's the 'daily'.

DSC08910.jpg

2005 Blazer. 4.3 V6 Automatic. A/C 4x4.

Its got about 60,000kms on it.

My dad and I started on this box. I had wenn_du_weinst design this for me. Its tuned to 35hz, I can't remember if he told me the airspace.

Day one looked like this.

DSC08908.jpg

DSC08907.jpg

Knocked a little piece out..

DSC08906.jpg

Lookin down the port.

DSC08905.jpg

Bottom of the box..

DSC08904.jpg

Day two I glued the second baffle on, and cut out the sub holes. This is the second time I've used a jig saw, first time was yesterday when I cut out a mount for y CB out of some left over mdf.

DSC08959.jpg

DSC08960.jpg

DSC08961.jpg

DSC08962.jpg

I think the holes turned out okay?

DSC08963.jpg

Its all glued inside on the seams.

DSC08965.jpg

This is what I got to spray on the box. When its done.

DSC08966.jpg

Well, thats it soo far. I'm tire as hell lol. Its pretty warm for here, and I've been sitting in the sun all day.

What do you guys think?

I'll be getting my amp soon hopefully, and some Deka Intimidators eventually. Biggest I can get is the 9A34. But they'll work.

Todays updates..

I added some more scews to the top baffle.

Theres over ninety now on the top. I hope it won't come apart.

I also test fitted the sub. I may get this thing in paint once I take a break. Its hot out.. for here at least.

DSC08985.jpg

DSC08986.jpg

DSC08987.jpg

Ran a bit of Mono exterior around the inside of the box and around the base of the brace. I've never used it before.. its sorta a mess, but it'll work.

DSC08989.jpg

DSC08990.jpg

I also painted the box today.

DSC09017.jpg

DSC09018.jpg

DSC09019.jpg

Screws..

DSC09021.jpg

DSC09023.jpg

Edit: I ended up using 4 cans of the Speckle stuff. It doesn't last very long. But they did make it smell like vanilla. Now the garage smells like it too.

Well, what do you guys think?

I really am into it, would like to know how them Mach 5's treat you once you get them up and going! nice box.

Nice looking enclosure... I've seen a few shop jobs that did not come out as nice...

What are you going to push it with???

Post some more when you get it all in and wired up...

I dig any Blazer/SUV installs!!! For some reason I have a thing for'em... I know everyone wants 15s and 18s, but I kinda like 12s... Not sure why...

Hopefully, someday, I'll get to finish mine... (maybe if I win the lotto)...

The paint looks very nice. I have thought about taking the carpet off my box and painting mine like you did.

Good job, now hurry up and get a pic with the box in the truck. :fing34:

thats alot of screws!

Yea, on the screws, those are just to hold the second baffle tighter to the 1st right, not part of a hella long Vent???

Thanks for the comments guys, this is the first box I've built.

I staggered the screws. I put them in because I'm paranoid.

The first and second baffle is screwed and glued together.

The whole box is glued and screwed together.

I've been workign on the headunit in the blazer. It seems like its been going okay but there's no power to the headunit when the key is in accessory., Its weird, I've never had this happen and I've installed a few of these.

I may need to pull it apart again and check connections.

It's about time you got this thing going man LOL!

Keep us updated.

I've been workign on the headunit in the blazer. It seems like its been going okay but there's no power to the headunit when the key is in accessory., Its weird, I've never had this happen and I've installed a few of these.

Yea, rip it out right qick and peek at the connections.... If nothing looks funky, your going to have to pull it out and put it on your work bench and test it; Make sure it wrks right there...

If it does then break out the multi-meter and test light... Check all your fuses at the pannels, then power wires comming out of the dash...

I'm assuming you used a wiring harness kit... One that you solder on to the headunits wires, then plug in to the factory plugs and its not just butchered and spliced in....

Yea, rip it out right qick and peek at the connections.... If nothing looks funky, your going to have to pull it out and put it on your work bench and test it; Make sure it wrks right there...

If it does then break out the multi-meter and test light... Check all your fuses at the pannels, then power wires comming out of the dash...

I'm assuming you used a wiring harness kit... One that you solder on to the headunits wires, then plug in to the factory plugs and its not just butchered and spliced in....

I never soldered the connections..

I didn't butcher them either.

It was a harness that plugs into the stock harness, has a little module, and then the wires that come out that you hook up to the headunit.

I used these.

05-insulated_butt_splice.jpg

It's about time you got this thing going man LOL!

Keep us updated.

Haha! I will Mark.

Damn these subs are heavy.

It was a harness that plugs into the stock harness, has a little module, and then the wires that come out that you hook up to the headunit.

I used these.

Butt Connecters.... Yuck!!! Jus playin, but I never use those... Some people swear by'em, but everytime I've had a wiring problem, its been those...

So, I don't use'em any more.. When I put in a Headunit, I take the factory wiring harness adapter kit lay it out on the bench with the head unit harness and strip each of the connections, slip some heat shrink on, then twist them together and solder'em up, slid the heat shrink over the solder and shrink'em up...

Pretty much the same with any smaller guage wiring like that that I do...

Kinda nerdy, but I actually like to Solder and heatshrink... My dad taught me how to do it when I was going into Junior High, then I took a Electronics/Shop class in High School and we covered it again... Fun stuff...

I used these.

Butt Connecters.... Yuck!!! Jus playin, but I never use those... Some people swear by'em, but everytime I've had a wiring problem, its been those...

So, I don't use'em any more.. When I put in a Headunit, I take the factory wiring harness adapter kit lay it out on the bench with the head unit harness and strip each of the connections, slip some heat shrink on, then twist them together and solder'em up, slid the heat shrink over the solder and shrink'em up...

Pretty much the same with any smaller guage wiring like that that I do...

Kinda nerdy, but I actually like to Solder and heatshrink... My dad taught me how to do it when I was going into Junior High, then I took a Electronics/Shop class in High School and we covered it again... Fun stuff...

I don't know how to solder. I'll just redo it tomorrow..

I don't have a work bench, lol. We're moving so I'll have a garage bay of my own.

I don't know how to solder. I'll just redo it tomorrow..

Its ok... Its time to learn.. :) and its easy...

Just a few steps

Buy a soldering gun kit that has the gun, the flux, solder (rosin-core best for electronics, I think), etc... Not that expensive and once you have it, you'll always have it

take two wires to be soldered together, strip about 3/4 inch or so of each end to be soldered, everyones got a different opinion on length... twist all the strands of the wire the same way together, so the individual little wires don't fray...

Now is the perfect time to slide a peice of heat shrink on and several inches up the wire away from the soldering joint...

Now twist each of the wires to be soldered together, together, see that they are together pretty good...

Heat up the soldering gun, hold the soldering gun tip on the two wires till they get hot enough to melt the solder,

Then Unroll the solder coil and dab it between the wires your soldering and the tip of the gun till the silver solder covers all the bare wires... Use just a bit at a time...

The idea is to cover all the bare wire, but not use to much... A shiny Solder joint is a good happy Joint... A dull dusy looking joint is a cold joint that will be broken easy...

After soldering, slide heat shrink tube down over the new solder joint, heat slowly with a lighter or heat gun, carefull not to melt the heat shrink to much or the wires jackets....

(not sure if this pic will show up)...

Wire%20splice.solderikng.jpg

Also, here is a link to a decent how too...

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/how_to/solder/index.html

I dunno, why but I think its fun... I guess its because I'm not good a much and when I find something I can do pretty good, I dig it...

I don't have a work bench, lol. We're moving so I'll have a garage bay of my own.

I didn't always either.... I recently built one out of 2x4s and Plywood... Nothing fancy or store bought...

For many years I used the kitchen table as my workbench... Actually, still do, depending on the project... Wife hates it, but what are ya gonna do...

I cannot get a harness that will work with this blazer!

ARRRRGH.

???

Do you mean you can't find a harness to buy that will fit or you've bought several for that vehicle that are for it, but do not work some some odd reason...

Does the factory H.U. have onstar and all that crap in it??? I seem to remember one of my old car club buds having an issue, where he had to get this adapter that let him put the factory H.U. in the back or somwhere and put an After market H.U in the dash...

I think he got the adapter from Parts Express.com...

I cannot get a harness that will work with this blazer!

ARRRRGH.

???

Do you mean you can't find a harness to buy that will fit or you've bought several for that vehicle that are for it, but do not work some some odd reason...

Does the factory H.U. have onstar and all that crap in it??? I seem to remember one of my old car club buds having an issue, where he had to get this adapter that let him put the factory H.U. in the back or somwhere and put an After market H.U in the dash...

I think he got the adapter from Parts Express.com...

No onstar, no steering wheel controls, no RDS. I ordered a Metra 70-2003 harness yesterday, should be in tomorrow. Hopefully it works.

The stone paint looks really good. I want to do the same for my box. It's bare MDF right now.

All those screws aren't going to split the MDF are they?

Is that paint smooth or does it have a texture? I ask for a couple reasons but mainly because I see you painted the inside of the port. I had always thought you want the port and its edges as smooth as possible. Of course for daily that doesn't really matter, but for me an SPL competetor, every tenth means alot. I have never used or seen the speckled paint in person so I dunno if its a visual effect or they used something in the paint to give it that texture. Same thing with that "hammered" looking paint, has any1 checked that out?

BTW I do like the enclosure, its obvious you took your time, nice subs too. I have always loved blazers, as much as I love my scion I miss my blazer everyday, wish I could have both.

Nice job!

I too used the same Speckled paint on my port. But mine was the Granite color. You are right the stuf smells Yummy. I dont know what they do to make it smell so good but I know Mark gave me a few odd looks while I was painting it. I was enjoying it WAY too much. But I think I paid $8-9/can...that stuff gets pricey fast.

Edited by Puggsley456

It does have a slight texture, it isn't much.

I could always sand it down and repaint the port. No big deal. Its mostly overspray.

I hope all the screws didn't split the mdf. I spaced the rows by 3" I think, and I staggered them.

2x2 brace between the subs.

Garage still smells like vanilla.

The Metra harness came in but wont be unpacked till tomorrow.

Edited by Gearstix

Looks great! :)

Well, my Metra harness was ordered last Monday. Was supposed to be in Wednesday. They got a shipment Wednesday and they never got it unpacked until Thursday. Friday came along with another shipment.

My harness wasn't in the Wednesday shipment, so it was coming Friday. They get the Friday shipment in and unpacked, no harness.

The warehouse people forgot to put it in. So I didn't get the harness for the headunit so I could wire it up like I wanted to, over the long weekend.

Anyways. We're moving so I laid the box in the Blazer, then put the subs in the box. There just sitting there, there not screwed in. I've still got to wire them up. Amp should be on its way.

NO HARNESS!! ARGH!

DSC09042.jpg

Cobra 29 WX NT BT install.

DSC09043.jpg

DSC09040.jpg

DSC09039.jpg

DSC09038.jpg

DSC09037.jpg

DSC09036.jpg

DSC09059.jpg

DSC09058.jpg

DSC09057.jpg