Sign in to follow this  
casedawg350

new weird sound

hey guys i turned on my sub today and got a new weird sound ive never heard before. everything has been fine the last few months, until today. it sounds like a lower pitched rattle of some sort. i listened and it seemed to be coming out of the port. i could smell just a hint of glue, and the cone was warm. anyone got any ideas? if you need any more info just let me know, ill do my best to get it. thanks.

Maybe you blew your sub, not 100% sure but sounds like it.

doesnt sound like he "Blew" it.

when you push gently on the cone, does it make a scraping sound?

pull the sub out of th ebox, and freeair it at a low volume, you may have warped the former just a little bit....

hey guys i turned on my sub today and got a new weird sound ive never heard before. everything has been fine the last few months, until today. it sounds like a lower pitched rattle of some sort. i listened and it seemed to be coming out of the port. i could smell just a hint of glue, and the cone was warm. anyone got any ideas? if you need any more info just let me know, ill do my best to get it. thanks.

C'mon give us more info than that if you want some help. What are you gain settings, did you use a DMM to set the gain, do you have bass boost on-I hope not, whats your sub sonic filter set at, What size box and tuning? Do you have the loud button or bass boost on your head-unit? This is what we need to know if you want accurate answers.

Edited by jay-cee

Also check for a loose panel while you have your subwoofer out. Also double check your settings to make sure your not sending it a clipped signal.

Check the sub for mechanical damage and take a DMM to the coils to make sure they still read correctly. Also check the box for air leaks, and take it out and play free air to see if the sound is still there, just to repeat others.

as far as settings... gain is around 2 o'clock, bast boost is off, sub sonic is non-adjustable but i think i remember reading 28 in the manual, the box is i believe around 1.5 cubes (too small i know) and 35 hz, as far as HU settings, the sub level was on 15/15 and bass on 0/7. when i used a DMM to set the gain when i first got it, you couldn't even tell i had a sub. it was so quiet. so i did it by sound. and everything sounded solid til yesterday. i moved the box around and knocked all over it real hard and didnt seem to be a loose panel anywhere.

no scraping sound when pushing on cone. and i noticed today sound is really only there from about volume 12-20/35. and i NEVER listen to it past 20.

sounds like i need to take the sub out. ill do that saturday and report back. thanks a lot guys!

Edited by casedawg350

well i took the sub out of the box. didnt see ANY hint of damage. spider all looked good. cone looked good. magnet wasn't loose.

free aired it at 15. could hear it even worse this way. it didnt sound so much like rattle when it was out of the box. it sounded like air coming out of a tube. its really hard to explain. almost like a distorted sound. sounded like it was coming from either the spider area, or the little gaps in the basket. (circled in the picture)

could all this be normal and me just being paranoid? or is something wrong that is just not obvious? thanks for all your guys help so far.

SSD12_170x356.jpg

Edited by casedawg350

can you make a video of it?

can you make a video of it?

yeah. ill get on that tomorrow after school.

after listening to it a little more, another way i can think to describe it is instead of the bass sounding smooth and crisp, its choppy and rattly sounding. maybe im clipping the heck out of it. but i dont smell glue. and theres no thud sound like its bottoming out. it just started happening randomly

Edited by casedawg350

i dont think u would be clipping it when u did the free air test.

The sub has more potential to bottom out first than receive a clipped signal from that 750.1 unless you were playing midbass notes only when you did the free-air test.

Well, i'll be looking forward to that video.

should i have done the vids of it free aired? i did them in the box. let me know if i should do a couple more with it free aired. the vids are uploading now!

can hear it decently in this vid under the camera distortion. it just sounds like choppy bass and not smooth. its a lot more noticeable in person and just sounds horrible.

th_100_3793.jpg

can hear it in the first part of this one where the camera is lookin at the port. its on the lower notes more then higher ones.

th_100_3792.jpg

Edited by casedawg350

i dident hear anything. did you try truning the frq dial down to the 50 dose it still make the noise. if you turn down all the gains on amp and head unit does it still make the noise

i dident hear anything. did you try truning the frq dial down to the 50 dose it still make the noise. if you turn down all the gains on amp and head unit does it still make the noise

im not sure what you mean by frq dial. if you mean the x-over yeah i had it set around 80. and with all settings down yes it was still there.

me and Chuck (ChicagoFan) actually tuned on it for 30-45 minutes tonight and its definitely hurt. i guess over time it just got to be too much. we got it to a happy medium where its not doin it AS LOUD but still there, as it was there no matter what we did. we got it to a decent level and we will see what happens from here, how much longer the sub lasts.

my box is actually a little smaller then what Fi recommends so i am going to get a bag of polyfill and throw that in my box and see what happens. i will try to do that tomorrow most likely. thanks everyone for your help so far.

Edited by casedawg350

im not sure what you mean by frq dial. if you mean the x-over yeah i had it set around 80. and with all settings down yes it was still there.

me and Chuck (ChicagoFan) actually tuned on it for 30-45 minutes tonight and its definitely hurt. i guess over time it just got to be too much. we got it to a happy medium where its not doin it AS LOUD but still there, as it was there no matter what we did. we got it to a decent level and we will see what happens from here, how much longer the sub lasts.

my box is actually a little smaller then what Fi recommends so i am going to get a bag of polyfill and throw that in my box and see what happens. i will try to do that tomorrow most likely. thanks everyone for your help so far.

yes the x over the first dial that you come to from the end i cant spell and i am not going to try it. but you got what i ment and thats good you got it to a happy meduim . i not sure on this but i think ,,,I THINK,,, if you fill the box with polyfill i would THINK that,, that would make the boxes airspace even smaller?. but like i said i dont know.

Incorrect smokeydog, it makes the enclosure seem larger and the tuning a little lower. These are both things Casey (casedawg) was trying to achieve. I am by no means an expert but I'm hoping it helps his overall response and sound. BTW- glad I could give you a hand today Casey, hopefully it holds up for awhile and sounds decent.

Incorrect smokeydog, it makes the enclosure seem larger and the tuning a little lower. These are both things Casey (casedawg) was trying to achieve. I am by no means an expert but I'm hoping it helps his overall response and sound. BTW- glad I could give you a hand today Casey, hopefully it holds up for awhile and sounds decent.

thats why i said "i think" i glad i know now. thanks for the info

i also think its great that people still take the time out of the life to help someone.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to be a jerk toward you smokey. I'm just trying to give you the right info for future reference. That's what's great about this forum, everyone is willing to help. I'm not an expert by a longshot and if I am wrong then someone will correct me.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to be a jerk toward you smokey. I'm just trying to give you the right info for future reference. That's what's great about this forum, everyone is willing to help. I'm not an expert by a longshot and if I am wrong then someone will correct me.

dident take it that way took it in a good way. i like to learn about shit i like you know

your an expert compared to me! BTW, i stopped at your daughters work on the way home.

I would suggest next time you build within specs and problems like these wont arise, when a box is too small it will make the sub sound real "peaky" (thats probably what you have going on over there.

I would suggest next time you build within specs and problems like these wont arise, when a box is too small it will make the sub sound real "peaky" (thats probably what you have going on over there.

sorry it was my first time and i had someone else build me the box.