loondizie52

home depot MDF

does anyone know what grade home depot or lowes MDF is. ive got a few ganahl lumbers and reel lumber by me and they use grade a. ive used the A before and i liked it better and it seemed to be better quality than HD while still bein only $25 a sheet

No idea. My HD only sells one grade. It has the 5 gold stripes on one end and it's the same thing that Lowes and Menards sells. I don't see what any difference could be aside from density, which of course you want more of for an enclosure.

hmm weird my HD and lowes both have the ends painted green.

i know grade A uses better glues and it just sounds and feels different. it feels more solid

as far as longevity or strength, that is my reason for asking

Not sure about home depots grade. . .

But i am sure than you should NOT let them cut the wood.

I gave them an exact print out of the dimensions i needed. Everything listed and diagramed.

Somehow they managed to screw that up and half the pieces that were right, didn't fit properly with each other and the box leaked.

That's because they only 'guarantee' 1/4" accuracy. I like my boxes to be better than 1/16ths.

If you have them rip only the major dimension though you can usually compensate.

I told them to cut outside of the line they mark on the wood so I can get a more accurate cut but no they go and cut in the middle of the line on some and right next to the line other times. I wish I had their cutting machine.

I keep mine within 1/16". Which in an assembly line of any product is the same.

I told them to cut outside of the line they mark on the wood so I can get a more accurate cut but no they go and cut in the middle of the line on some and right next to the line other times. I wish I had their cutting machine.

I've got a portable version of the one they use, :) I have practically every tool u can think of for projects like this and some odd projects...

We even have a plasma cutter... doubt i'll ever need to use it though.

my HD sells the 3/4" with 5 green lines also. dont think it has to do with the grade, its just an easy way for them to ring it up. they have a bunch of colors in the system and different line quantities on different products.

I never knew there was grades. I had heard someone mention LDF and HDF before (low and high) but I thought they were just full of it.

I didn't know there were grades within MDF either. But I know there are low and high, as ppiflat said.

my lowes sell a cardboard like mdf and my menards carries a better grade of MDF (don't know what it is-redish color)

the grade at lowes has a yellow color to the wood---it's worthless... you can peel it apart...

I went to homedepot today to get my mdf board and they had a huge sign saying 'only APPROXIMATE cuts, no grantee of accuracy'

My dad works at home depot (in the tool rental section), so he warned me that they would probably do a terrible job cutting it.

I added an extra inch to the dimensions I told them to cut so I could cut it when I got home.

I just had them cut the 4x8 board into 36'' // 32'' // remainder.

Just so I could fit it in my car....

Is a sphere the perfect shape for an enclosure? I have a machine that can make spheres // oval shaped spheres so I've been thinking I could make an enclosure for my midbass woofers in my custom door pods and make it a sphere for super sq :)

do tweeters need an enclosure?

A sphere enclosure would be badass. How does it make it? Is it out of like a solid wood and then in hollows it out? I remember when I went to home depot and bought their entire inventory of 3/4" mdf. They were stunned.

i live in so california and we have ganahl lumber and reel lumber that are the quality wood places. what is similar to those near you guys?

we do not really have any big time places just small time stores.