antonmiller

so its decisions time, sundown or AQ

ok so im going to be using the Fi BTL 12" sub D2 in a 2.5 cu ft box ported to 34 hz. in the trunk of a chevy cavalier. i want to run in DB Drag so the power needs to be there when the car is off. so it will be at around 12-12.5 volts. the battery will be a Kinetic HC 2000

so my decision comes down to this. a brand new AQ3500 for 550$ or a refurbished SAZ-3000 with new heat sink and B-stock (not sure what that is) for 575$.

i would like to know the pro and cons of each one. i know one uses a fan for cooling and one doesnt. is there an advantage to this? which one is more efficient at 1 ohm? which one will output more power at 12 volts? or any more things i should now about these amps?

I just want to make an informed decision and this is actually alot harder of a decision than i thought it would be... PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks,

Anton Miller

No question Sundown wins. Real parts versus cutting corners. AQ is overhyped.

No question Sundown wins. Real parts versus cutting corners. AQ is overhyped.

thats what i was thinking. but as soon as a buddy of mine told me about the crazy AQ sale going on. the 3500 popped into my mind and i just cant really tell which one is the better amp in this situation.

i mean i would have never considered the aq for 700$ compared to the saz-3000 but since they are about the same price now. i just dont know.....

If it were $200 cheaper I still wouldn't consider it a better deal.

you get what you pay for... motto always holds true.

well they are the same price..... so thats the whole delema... is which one is better for that price. refurbished saz3000 or a New AQ 3500.

Does any one have any pros or cons of each one? so far i have the pro of sundown using more quality parts. anything else?

Sundown Audio. Amps that come from DB-R are just as good as new, and B stock means that there may be a few scratches / defects cosmetically.

I personally love my 3000D and they continue to put out great power at lower than optimal voltages.

:)

edit: If you don't buy that thing from DB-R, it will be arriving at my door in about 4 weeks. :)

Edited by holley2346

Sundown FTW! Great owner, great product! Plus db-r as the authorized repair shop, It's a no brainer ... SUNDOWN!

If you don't buy that thing from DB-R, it will be arriving at my door in about 4 weeks. :)

LOL! seriously?

is DB-r a good company to deal with? and is there some sort of warranty?

and it looks like the saz 3000 will be the choice...

however if anyone has anything bad to say about either one it owuld be greatly appreciated. for example i love my RF 1500-1bd but i hate that it doesnt have an adjustable SSF. those are the things im looking for here. is there one or 2 little things about each amp that annoys you? like you hate that the rcas and the power is on the same side or vise versa? just little things like that. i know both amps will perform almost the same. its all about the little things i guess...

thanks

well they are the same price..... so thats the whole delema... is which one is better for that price. refurbished saz3000 or a New AQ 3500.

Does any one have any pros or cons of each one? so far i have the pro of sundown using more quality parts. anything else?

question? how do u know exactly what parts both amps use, or are you going by here-say. and i would get a brand new amp over any used amp, reguardless . until someone shows me pictures of the different parts and can prove it, i'll settle for the new amp. People always say, (this amp has better quailty parts) lol oh really

question? how do u know exactly what parts both amps use, or are you going by here-say. and i would get a brand new amp over any used amp, reguardless . until someone shows me pictures of the different parts and can prove it, i'll settle for the new amp. People always say, (this amp has better quailty parts) lol oh really

Read the test results and look at the pics! Results speak for themselves!

Sundown FTW! Great owner, great product! Plus db-r as the authorized repair shop, It's a no brainer ... SUNDOWN!

why does it need to be repaired, " remember it has more quailty parts" than the AQ. That alone should tell u that any amp can break, reguarless of what's name is on it. It's funny how when a Sundown amp breaks, it's user error, but when any other brand amp breaks, it's the manufactors problem. Get a new amp, and run it within specs, not at .5 ohms like other people do, and then they wonder why thier amp just blew up.

why does it need to be repaired, " remember it has more quailty parts" than the AQ. That alone should tell u that any amp can break, reguarless of what's name is on it. It's funny how when a Sundown amp breaks, it's user error, but when any other brand amp breaks, it's the manufactors problem. Get a new amp, and run it within specs, not at .5 ohms like other people do, and then they wonder why thier amp just blew up.

Read the link on the previous post! As far as an amp breaking there are many issues when an amp breaks! Remember these amplifieres are shipped from overseas. There are more "User" errors than "Manufacturer" defects. I know for a fact Sundown has great "QC" and test each and every amp before it leaves Sundown. Not saying AQ doesn't do the same with their products. But having db-r as the authorized "Warranty" repair center is an added bonus. If you have an issue with a Sundown amplifier you send it in to Sundown, they check it out and will most likely swap it out for a new one. The"faulty" amp will go to db-r electronics for warranty repair and will be sold as "Refurbished".

I think we have an AQ lover here.

Db-r amps must be good deals : I saw they give warranty as for brand new amps.

I always thought refurbished or repaired amps should be better, because they passed in "human hands", they're manually tested.

New amps just come out of the assembly line, with maybe just a quality control on some of them.

But I must admit all my amps have been bought brand new !!!

(You'd better listen to ///M5!)

Im not a fan of buying refurb anymore but I have in the past and they all worked like brand new and didnt mess up unless I messed them up. I like Sundown amps and they do rated power at 12.8 volts unlike AudioQue ams do at 14.4 volts (unless you can keep your voltage steady at 14.4 you wount be getting optimal output from amp). But I personally would buy a Sundown Amp from db-r.com since he specializes in amp repair and not just Sundown amps plus nobody who has gotten one from him had a major problem and if so he fixes it for no poblem. Just my .02 and good luck in deciding.

Comparison information-

Sundown can be ran between 10-18v.

AQ can be ran between 7.5-18.5v.

Sundown = ~$650

AQ = $549 (keep up with the news.. they on sale!)

Low voltage scenario-

Sundown should pull ahead in power output over the AQ but the AQ can still operate on insanely low voltage levels if u tryin to save money and not use any extra batts.

Sundown has a higher resell value

AQ's repair center is www.amprepaircenter.com

AQ physically tests ALL amps that come in from overseas before packaging them up for customers.

They pay extra burn-in fee for the builders overseas to test their amps before they are shipped to the USA. They could save money and not do this but they pay for it anyways.

Then again, once it's here, they are retested for QC before being shipped to people like us.

It is very rare for an AQ amp to be damaged. The repair rate for defects covered under warranty is xtremely low. Only warranty work i know of done to amps is due to UPS failure to properly handle amps but, of course, we all know those horror stories.

The AQ amps also come with e clipping indicator light on the remote gain control so u can monitor your amp during playback to ensure you are not potentially causing harm to your sub(s). This helps all those who don't have the right equipment to setup amps do it a lot easier.

I have personally tested their clipping indicator tolerance and it will dimly come on before you can visually see a square wave on an o-scope so it's very cautious.

Comparison information-

Sundown can be ran between 10-18v.

AQ can be ran between 7.5-18.5v.

Sundown = ~$650

AQ = $549 (keep up with the news.. they on sale!)

Low voltage scenario-

Sundown should pull ahead in power output over the AQ but the AQ can still operate on insanely low voltage levels if u tryin to save money and not use any extra batts.

The price of a refurb SAZ3000 is like 566$ so the price is vurtually the same. and the reason i want the power at 12 volts is for db drag events. (the only type of comps in my area) and i can only have 1 battery for my class... but from what im seeing and reading the sundown is probly for me. being as it will put out more power at 12 volts...

thanks shizzzon for your input.

didnt know the sundowns dropped again like that.. then I'd also recommend Sundown too.

Sundown will outperform the AQ on low voltage for sure.

didnt know the sundowns dropped again like that.. then I'd also recommend Sundown too.

they are on sale at db-r for like 25% off... i might even pick up a mids and highs amp as well.. cheap enough.

they are on sale at db-r for like 25% off... i might even pick up a mids and highs amp as well.. cheap enough.

for sure db-r has awesome deals right now and i know in the future i will be getting a 125.2 lol!! and Sundown FTW ;)