porkchop

chop's build log

some of my local comp buddies that use(d) trucks would have sub up port to driver side. Height and depth the same dimensions.

So, for example, if using a 12, height and depth would be about 15 inches external and width would be about 2.5-3ft long with external aeros.

Single sub design off of 3kw-6kw can give 146-150s off a single 12 if competing so this box design is quite efficient.

I will still try to do another,, wanna wait till i get electrical up to snuff

hey chop, yup did as you requested, I am now watching your build log :) let me know what you decide on the box. I read/skimmed through the log, did you say what numbers this is putting up?

BTW: I notice you said no mids/highs yet. Great budget 2-way active setup is Mach5 MLI-65's paired with seas prestige tweets. the tweets are like 25 bucks a piece from madisound. mach5's can be found here in the SSA store. there are other choices, but per dollar that setup is tough to beat, and of course paired with a sundown 4-channel :) If you decide on doing something for mids/highs then do tell.

hey chop, yup did as you requested, I am now watching your build log :) let me know what you decide on the box. I read/skimmed through the log, did you say what numbers this is putting up?

BTW: I notice you said no mids/highs yet. Great budget 2-way active setup is Mach5 MLI-65's paired with seas prestige tweets. the tweets are like 25 bucks a piece from madisound. mach5's can be found here in the SSA store. there are other choices, but per dollar that setup is tough to beat, and of course paired with a sundown 4-channel :) If you decide on doing something for mids/highs then do tell.

i am looking at that polyfill suggestion , that will indeed be the next move.

there are some pioneers thrown in the doors right now, no amplification, not sure of model number. (thanks Mikey)

i will look into your suggested upgrade, it will be a moment before it happens though.

i would like to use some horns in there somewhere and have been watching seliniums ( spelling) closely.

chop

not metered yet, will wait till i have the proper electrical and amp set correctly. perhaps in two weeks.

there are some pioneers thrown in the doors right now, no amplification, not sure of model number. (thanks Mikey)

i will look into your suggested upgrade, it will be a moment before it happens though.

i would like to use some horns in there somewhere and have been watching seliniums ( spelling) closely.

chop

I have those same ones right now Chop. Im in the middle of a build log for them in my doors but have been stalled on a lot of side projects and looking for work lately. Mdizzle was looking into them too. They are only $32 bucks a pop. I'll be sure to update.

The polyfill sounds like a cheap alternative to building another enclosure already huh? I would definately check it out too. I think I heard on another forum about using the stuff from craft stores as the same thing. Idk for sure though.

got a few friends who love loud obnoxious stuff, they use earthquake mids and sellenium horns like crazy. personally I'm not a fan, but I'm just not into all that loud obnoxious crap.

if done right, horns can be great for SQ, just not sure how the selleniums would fair.

got a few friends who love loud obnoxious stuff, they use earthquake mids and sellenium horns like crazy. personally I'm not a fan, but I'm just not into all that loud obnoxious crap.

if done right, horns can be great for SQ, just not sure how the selleniums would fair.

i would not know a true SQ sytem if it slapped me in the face...lol.... but i have heard those selleniums before and they sounded great to me....for what that is worth.

i am probably guilty of liking the loud stuff.... not sure where i am at in it exactly yet though.

chop

I have those same ones right now Chop. Im in the middle of a build log for them in my doors but have been stalled on a lot of side projects and looking for work lately. Mdizzle was looking into them too. They are only $32 bucks a pop. I'll be sure to update.

The polyfill sounds like a cheap alternative to building another enclosure already huh? I would definately check it out too. I think I heard on another forum about using the stuff from craft stores as the same thing. Idk for sure though.

that sounds good to me price wise.... i will look in to it.

will be trying the polyfill tomorrow.

OT,

i got the funeral tomorrow so it will help to get my mind back off of things.

I am sorry for your loss chop.

Isn't your box ported? If so, polyfill really isn't a solution. You should just build another box. I'd first do some measurements ((even if they are with your ear) at non-full bore levels) and see EXACTLY at what frequencies you start to hear a roll off and describe that in your thread. It will take you less than an hour and will give us way more information on how to help with your box. Faster than building another IMO.

good suggestion by M5 there. polyfill is def. more useful in sealed, little harder to keep it from popping out of the box. also maybe when you are listening to where this setup falls off, you can also get an idea of how low you actually want to be able to play. both will help us determine a better box choice for you.

Polyfill isn't like an option to fall back on if u make a mistake on a ported design, hehe.

You CAN use polyfill in a ported box by lining it securely along the walls and NEVER loosely but it's not a valid option to fall back on.

I'll show you my wall this saturday.. was hopin u could bring your setup down here so i could diagnose it, :(

good suggestion by M5 there. polyfill is def. more useful in sealed, little harder to keep it from popping out of the box. also maybe when you are listening to where this setup falls off, you can also get an idea of how low you actually want to be able to play. both will help us determine a better box choice for you.

I didn't recommend no polyfill for that reason, but the fact that he has a response he doesn't like but stuffing will alter the Q and the "perceived" box volume but not in a way that he can calculate anything from it.

man , so much info here, i gotta go sor a while longer, it will be at least tomorrow before i can do this,

i will re-read it later on.

i will take the step by step approach on it....

i will ensure it is not loose.

i need to warn chicagofan of the same.

note: it does not mention this warning in the thread titled " a technical understanding to polyfill"

thanks for all the input, i assure you i will address all these aspects first .

thanks again.

chop

oh, off of a very brief summary, aroung 44 os 45 hz. it seems to start to become less output.... is this the roll off?

well, if u are right, i havent read the entire log but i am assuming you are tryin to figure out why it rolls off so quick? I dont know.. but i'll see what happens when i say this-

It may be tuned too low because... the box is in a volume that is too large for the expected outcome...

Low pass set too low.

Resonance peak in car is in the low 40s which is extremely exaggerating output before you audibly hear a "roll off."

unfortunately your vehicle may not like the lows....but if your tuning is 35hz, then I am not really surprised you would peak ~40 hz, that sounds about right. add a cube of space and tune down to 30hz, that would make a huge difference. still need an idea of how low you are trying to go?

well i thought i would have my head shoved up my trucks ass all day , but as it turns out, i am hanging with Alex all day. way more fun.

the lows: i have attempted to describe what i feel like is missing. i will try to get a battery in there , then put the dmm to work.

from there i will get it micced. this will take two weeks. money issue.

i will attemt to report back with any and all info that i can.

small vid of it in my sig. i will have more, later.

i am trying to read up on the following;

* setting the amp properly

* the use of poly-fill

* and basically, a better understanding of the volume and tunning of an enclosure , as in how it can benifit my install, like output and solid lows.

any links, or input of your own experiance is appreciated,

meantime i will be burning up the search button.

thanks

chop

I might get hammered for this Chop but, Ive heard some about using chicken wire or some sort of wire mesh to hold the polyfill in the place you want and still allow air to pass through. Please someone correct me if Im wrong because Ive heard this many times before, just never used it or recommended it till now.

I just saw the video and I want to see that sucker in the light dude! At least you can hear the vocals too. My 18 is killing my truck and all the vocals. Thats was some serious movement with the 15hz tone! I heard somebody say there was a smell? Ooops! Just warmin em up!

i too have heard of the chicken wire, it seems as if this is one of those times where it is two definitive groups, yeah and nays, both are sure of what they are suggesting. i am being cautious and doing some reading on it. the broke ass side of me wants to give it a shot, ( the poly-fill ), and let that just be enough, but i also really enjoyed building the box, so another one would be cool too. it would be even better, " I swear to god man" < in a Donnie Baker voice.

i will get some better vids up soon. i got a friend who does these things now!

yeah you can get a little carried away with a test tone cd and 30 people looking at your ride saying it is some sick shit and all, i am guilty of giving the ol' volume knob a little extra torque. so she warmed up a little, sorta like blushing from the attention perhaps. lots of stuff gets to moving on the lower notes, and the low 40hz. range is impressive, gotta find a song that is in that range for a while.

hey look in off topic and you can see that burn out a little longer, not very visible at all, but you can see some of the smoke and hear a little of it. he missed the begining of it.

you cannot compare your set-up to mine though, there is a reason you cannot hear the vocals.....your 18" ftw.

I dont know it if it was me or the camera but it sounded like it might of been bottoming out a little bit on certain notes on the second song. What is you SSF set at on your amp?

I dont know it if it was me or the camera but it sounded like it might of been bottoming out a little bit on certain notes on the second song. What is you SSF set at on your amp?

Are you talking about the test tones or the video with the dome light? If its the dome light one, thats not his truck. Its spleddys 12" Fi BTL.

Are you talking about the test tones or the video with the dome light? If its the dome light one, thats not his truck. Its spleddys 12" Fi BTL.

Yeah I was talking about the one with the dome light, ok thanks for the correction.

i too have heard of the chicken wire, it seems as if this is one of those times where it is two definitive groups, yeah and nays, both are sure of what they are suggesting. i am being cautious and doing some reading on it. the broke ass side of me wants to give it a shot, ( the poly-fill ), and let that just be enough, but i also really enjoyed building the box, so another one would be cool too. it would be even better, " I swear to god man" < in a Donnie Baker voice.

i will get some better vids up soon. i got a friend who does these things now!

yeah you can get a little carried away with a test tone cd and 30 people looking at your ride saying it is some sick shit and all, i am guilty of giving the ol' volume knob a little extra torque. so she warmed up a little, sorta like blushing from the attention perhaps. lots of stuff gets to moving on the lower notes, and the low 40hz. range is impressive, gotta find a song that is in that range for a while.

hey look in off topic and you can see that burn out a little longer, not very visible at all, but you can see some of the smoke and hear a little of it. he missed the begining of it.

you cannot compare your set-up to mine though, there is a reason you cannot hear the vocals.....your 18" ftw.

Cant hurt to build another box if you got the wood already. Plus its fun too. And a little practrice never hurts either.

I am guilty of the same. :D With my old system of 4 12s, it happened here and there. But since Ive had the BTL, I dont think Ive reached any limits so far. The excursion on this is nowhere near what I see on some of these videos. I keep finding new vibrations with every brave click of the volume knob!

I see that smoke only for a second. Is that the dodge? GEEDEE UP!

Plus I have shitty 4x6 coaxal plates in the dash with old 4x6 POS in the rear that I cant get to. I cant wait for the MLI65s.