porkchop

chop's build log

What is it tuned to now, since you have heard two of your friend setups, one with Xcon and one with Nightshade (which do you prefer, reviews on both if you dont mind since those may be my future subs). I also see you went from multiple 12"s to a 15" now, what can you say about that (all I ever had were 12"s and a couple of 10''s before but 9 out of my 10 subs were 12"s and havent went any bigger). Thanks for any input.

it is tuned to 35 hz.... it is said to have a fs of 24.5hz. , ........ i wanted to be loud, which it is, but it does not play the lows in a manner in which i am use to.

the Xcon still wanted more power... the SAZ-1500d definetly is a power horse but that 18" Xcon wantss even more.... I am old school in that 18"s were said to be sloppy...... ha ha ha , yeah right.... it does dam good at plating low notes.... the tried and true song, Bass I Love You is

represented beautifully.... the bass notes hit very loud and the lower ones, create quit the eye candy. the 18" SSA XCON has no problem being equall to a 12" subs reputation for tight accurate bass, only ou move aalot more air with this beast.... air, doors, roof panels, everything is moving, lol.

The Sundown Nightshade was a 12" sub, but let me tell you, the S.O.B. is bullet proof. With the right power behind it, wow, it does like magical sh*t to your music. the lows are very tight and the bass is crazy loud . We have played with it with some serious power going to it and it still just keeps wanging. I can only imagine the larger diameters and what thier output would be.

The 4 12"s we had in the F150 had more potential still. However for a cheaper brand , they did not disapoint me any. they were in dual prefab boxes stacked... needed a single enclosure speced out to thier needs....

uh, i guess by my experiances and todays technology the diameter is not a big issue...... cone area will equal more air being moved but it also matters more importantly having the right amount of air space and tunning with the right amount of power to back em up.

chop

It is hooked up in my Jimmy right now with my saz 3000d and it is insane, It is just as loud as my Xcon, without the getting low factor. But overall I liked them both. Very good companies with very good products.

Edited by mdizzle5472

Thanks for input fellas.

The NS are built to deal with heat, so bulletproof is right.

Not sure you know what you want. Why tune lower AND get smaller if it is lows you are after. That sub may even want a higher tuning. Hell if lord dipshit runs one you know it isn't going to sound good tuned low.

Two different thoughts. The NS is bulletproof.

The only one I know with the same woofer is someone whose advice is super useless.

So yes I know he doesn't have a Nightshade. It does amuse me that this was misread, everytime I see someone post NS in a thread title I get excited as I am a huge fan of the NS, but the NS that gets me excited is made by Aura.

I didn't know you had a WMD as well. I was referring to Lord Butkiss who knows about as much about car stereo gear as my turds, might even smell similar.

no chop does i helped him with the build im in the first pic.... so if chop raises the tuning you are saying it might handle the loads better ? is it possible that the sub doesn't have any loads?

I KNOW he has one. LB also has one. LB is a retard and everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.

I am CURIOUS as to why PChop thinks a smaller box and lower tuning will help his lows, ie normally those two do not go hand in hand.

As for helping them, it depends on what "lows" are to you guys. Most likely that sub will be happier tuned higher IMO not lower as it is a fart box sub. I could be off though as I have no experience with it and the only other person I know that has one is a dipshit.

i think he was complaning on the thermal handling of the sub, he thought a smaller box would help control that... i think he is looking for answers on that so if you could help us out ..

there is certain feel and sound that some of our music has, like jeezy, that this box/sub seems to be missing....... i does well with getting loud you just cant feel the bass the way it should be........................

IAK

the best way i can tell you is like getting hit in the ribs very hard....the pressure is more on your ears then on your chest ...maybe he will just have to tell you .......

Going to rebuild?

off of the specs and other reveiws read on the sub, it would be assumed that it would have the ability to do well in more of a musical enviroment than in a fart box. these reveiws where not from LB, I feel like it still has some potential to sound better.

i am not fully in the know about how the enclosure can help out, I though that i have read to get a lower bass response, you tune the box lower, lengthen the port.

I also am having trouble with the coil being warm..... i have the amp at about 35/40% gain. i am only guessing there is no clipping, there is no distortion, i have turned up the head unit a little too high a few times, it is hard not too though,

i was guessing that if there is no clipping, creating the sqaure waves that take away the thermal handling ability that it must be that the sub is in too large of an enclosure.....

I am not sure and am looking for input, advice, reading material, relitive links, etc.

I want the bass response to equal that of the many systems that i have heard in sound......

I know i will not be the loudest amongst us, that is fine, i just want it to sound "right" to me.

I still need a dmm from mikey.

I still need to add a battery.

I really would like to have as much power as i can to throw at this sub.

Is a higher tunning really a option for receiving lower bass notes.....not sure i understand that thought process.

when you say, ///M5 , that it could be a fart box sub, what would point this chararestic out?

I assume that the fact that LB had one is not the only scientifical way of identifying these subs that you speak of.

If the amp is set properly, by the dmm, and the head unit is set up correctly, what other attributes would cause the sub to get warm?

sorry for all the questions, but hey, that is why i am on here and not over on that other forum......

thanks

chop

Going to rebuild?

Denim, I am using this install as a tutorial for myself, I want to re-learn everything this time around, the correct information.

so, yes multiple rebuilds are in store.... i want to learn habds on, i believe the mistakes i make will only teach me more...

more experiance and hands on to pass on to others....

I am not sure this box is the best box.... i will build several and see where it leads me.

the crazy part is,,,,, information, WOW, there is so many opinions out there that do not even corespond to eatch other at all..... who is right? who is full of sh*t?

it is a challeng, to have a sub with only a few reviews and to try to determine the outcome of each senario.

Chop

the higher notes will typically make you feel it poundin ur chest, like in the 50hz range.

The high 30s to 40s will typically start to hurt your ears first or at least mine.

So.. if u want the low lows.. you better be pushin a LOT of power to be able to get the higher range to output enough pressure to pop your lungs out, lol

it could simply be just the way the sub is loading.

Does the passenger side seem louder to your ears\body than the driver side?

It don't matter.. bring that setup down here, we'll put it on a meter and see what's up. Maybe even get you to gain a db or two before you leave, :)

the higher notes will typically make you feel it poundin ur chest, like in the 50hz range.

The high 30s to 40s will typically start to hurt your ears first or at least mine.

So.. if u want the low lows.. you better be pushin a LOT of power to be able to get the higher range to output enough pressure to pop your lungs out, lol

it could simply be just the way the sub is loading.

Does the passenger side seem louder to your ears\body than the driver side?

It don't matter.. bring that setup down here, we'll put it on a meter and see what's up. Maybe even get you to gain a db or two before you leave, :)

Man i wish i could bring it down.

it is not plated or insured till i get back to work.

gotta take the soccer van or steve's ride.

will be early spring before i get it down to you.

i will throw some more gas in it this weekend and do some more testing..... hunting another battery still also.

chop

we are taking my car down there ........

looks like we are taking steve's ride.

Sucks you already want changes. I know the feeling when its just not right. You dont even want to hear it until you change it. Do you feel the port loading off the side wall is better than the roof would have been?

Sucks you already want changes. I know the feeling when its just not right. You dont even want to hear it until you change it. Do you feel the port loading off the side wall is better than the roof would have been?

I think that i will do the third box that way.... port and sub up....

If i really had my electrical up to snuff, then i could feel comfortable turning her up some and seeing what is in there.

I think i will get the best results from firing to the side but will not truly know until i can build the other boxes.

I really want to use this a opportunity to get a feel for building and designing boxes, so it is all good for now.

I only regret painting it, was a waste, perhaps.

I am second guessing the head units ability to deliver what i want and like i said the power is lacking still.

Time will tell

So are you thinking about going bigger or smaller with the next box? Ive never had any experience with that driver so I dont really know anything about it to comment on what would work better for it. Do you have the specs on it offhand? What is the recommended ported enclosure size?