Sign in to follow this  
stylezzz8o8

sundown 1500d's strapped

how much will each amp do at 0.5 ohms? i heard 2200 each, and strapped they would do around 4200. is this correct?

also, has anyone wired it to 0.5 ohms and ran it daily? if so, did you have any problems with it?

some people do, but it's not covered, and you really don't gain all that much. wiring to .5 ohms is really more used for squeezing out that extra SPL for burps. in a recent test, the 1500d put out over 1900 watts at just under 13 volts, with an impedance rise of just over 1 ohm. For a daily setup no need to really worry about impedance rise, and the risk of problems versus the rewards for wiring to .5 ohms I just don't see justice. A lot of people think they can just wire to .5 ohm and if amp survives they will be louder than ever, if that was the case, why would anyone waste money on a 2000d to run at 1 ohm when they could run a 1500d at .5 ohm? because it's not a good idea.

now to let you know though, for SPL competition, the amp is capable of 2600 watts possibly more with proper electrical (16v) at .5 ohm. not to mention you drop efficiency by a considerable amount dropping to .5 ohm.

don't do it! 0.5ohm for a dialy system isn't worth the risk. just get a bigger amp! besides think about all the stress on the amp at 0.5ohm! doulbe the current and fast it will heat up over longer periods of time!

so don't do! jsut play it safe!

I would only run an amp at .5 for SPL purposes. Daily? To hard on the amp plus the current draw will be heavy on the electrical.

Do I need to post the article to why daily systems don't need to count on impedance rise again?

Do I need to post the article to why daily systems don't need to count on impedance rise again?

you should! it is one of the best reads on SSA forums lol!! and writen by an even better guy!! ;)

Booyah!

The amps will handle 0.5 daily just fine but current draw goes up so you'll need a good electrical to keep up. Actual output varies from setup to setup.

Yeah, but wouldn't it just be better to get an amp that did that kind of power at 1 or 2 ohms?

I have been running my SAZ-2000 at .5 daily and it loves it. Never gets more then luke warm. :)

Yeah, but he's also talking about strapping them and doing it.

To simply put it for everyone, yes you can run a Sundown amp at .5 ohms but you lose your warranty on amp. The amp will work fine if you have the proper electrical to keep up with it and know what your doing (if you want to take a chance on it then run it at .5 ohms and call it a day, if it works for you then it does and if it doesnt then good job on damaging your equipment). Can we sticky a thread where we dont have to keep asking about running an amp at .5 ohms since it is asked weekly.

Yeah, but he's also talking about strapping them and doing it.

Won't be any difference. I had two SAZ-1000's strapped at .5 each. They didn't get hot either.

Yeah, I feel like I've had this conversation 4 times already.

I was so scared of running an amp at 1 ohm only !!! I do it now with my saz 1000, but it gets hot like fire after a long listening session.

And I see people asking for 0.5 ohm very often. Damn...

I was so scared of running an amp at 1 ohm only !!! I do it now with my saz 1000, but it gets hot like fire after a long listening session.

Got a build issue or is your amp just a freak?

That is weird........ Are you clipping it bad? Bad voltage drop?

You need to make some upgrades to your electrical if your amp is getting hot (check your grounds out man or get a better air flow around your amp).

No issue, but it's minimum 30° C (86° F) in the shade down here, so all amps get hot but they do work as they should!

Yours never get hot? Damn...!

No issue, but it's minimum 30° C (86° F) in the shade down here, so all amps get hot but they do work as they should!

You either need a better air flow or fans since outside weather is more of a problem, since no issues your cool now.

A friend of mine has 2 saz 1000 strapped at 2 ohms on a 15DVC1 Xcon, and it went into protection recently. But he was testing/beating them so hard, and for a long time. But no problem after some cooling , I think so.

Yersterday he was asking me for fans !!!

We will think about it soon.

Thanks

BTW : I have no voltage drop, always above 13.4 v with a/c on, and I have not done the Big3 yet! :(

But I know I will upgrade the electrical system someday, with new batt(s).

Edited by Notorious from FWI

I live in Louisiana, I know all about hot weather. And my amps never get to hot to touch.

I live in Louisiana, I know all about hot weather. And my amps never get to hot to touch.

Yeah, I'm in Mississippi, my amps will go on playing for several hours in direct sunlight and not get hot.

Yeah, I'm in Mississippi, my amps will go on playing for several hours in direct sunlight and not get hot.

Wow, difficult to believe.

But I will check that.

How can you play for hours , in the sun, and your amp never gets hot?

There's a trick? :)

Sign in to follow this