KE1O

Zapco C2K 9.0 to BTL

I disagree, and the voice coil will not see the additive power, because they are separate coils. so if you send different signal to them it will break down over time and kill the sub. depending on how bad/how much power will determine how long it will take. I would never ever recommend to anyone to do it, especially someone that doesn't fully understand difference in bridging and parallel/series wiring.

and when that guy makes a post about his blown sub asking how it happened, then I will be there to tell him why.

Would someone like to do a video demonstration to settle this disagreement?

Would someone like to do a video demonstration to settle this disagreement?

I might do that Monday, work all weekend, I got an old sony sub sittin around I don't care about...lol

Is it a 15"?

look at the diagram, how many times do I have to say do not run separate coils to separate channels?

I don't know, how many times are you going to keep repeating this incorrectly?

I am interested to hear your technical explanation of how the voice coil will "break down over time and kill the sub."

I bet you would also say to never run only one voice coil of a DVC sub, too, right?

You say that the signal to the voice coils does not add together when wiring one channel to each voice coil, but what does bridging an amplifier do? Hint- It.............adds the left and right signals together!

Just thought I would throw this out there, the woofer is acctaully a quad coil woofer, as most big woofers are. With every 2 coils wired together to make it a DVC woofer.

There is a guy out here who runs 4 small amps per woofer in his truck, so he has 16 amps on 4 woofers. And he has NEVER had a problem blowing up woofers.

I see what he's saying. He's not saying don't put two amps a woofer. He's saying don't let two amps not linked together on the same woofer. As they would produced different signals, EVENTUALY leading to failure.

Just thought I would throw this out there, the woofer is acctaully a quad coil woofer, as most big woofers are. With every 2 coils wired together to make it a DVC woofer.

There is a guy out here who runs 4 small amps per woofer in his truck, so he has 16 amps on 4 woofers. And he has NEVER had a problem blowing up woofers.

I see what he's saying. He's not saying don't put two amps a woofer. He's saying don't let two amps not linked together on the same woofer. As they would produced different signals, EVENTUALY leading to failure.

exactly, and as long as you realize only running one coil on a DVC cuts the rms in ~half then yeh it's perfectly to do that, question still stands why would anyone want to do these things that are far less than optimal?

No, it would not eventually lead to failure. That is false. The woofer would be completely uneffected from a longevity or failure standpoint. The woofer would play the sum of the signals...nothing more, nothing less.

exactly, and as long as you realize only running one coil on a DVC cuts the rms in ~half then yeh it's perfectly to do that, question still stands why would anyone want to do these things that are far less than optimal?

Many people run a single coil and use the other as an RDO coil.

Or they run a single coil and leave the other open to raise the Q of the woofer, so it may fit better within their particular application.

I think we have all learned an important lesson here.

Just out of curiosity though, what is an RDO coil?

I love the internet. Everyone is an "expert."

gotta love this re-occuring fight :)

I've ran 4 pairs of amps to one of my quad coils....

Yes 4 pairs... so 8 amps but 4 seperate signals..

***it was louder when all the amps were signal matched but not by much, the old eyeball method was only .2 db down from the signal matching...

NOW doesn't that blow your minds :)

sorry just had to step in on the fun ! :)

I disagree, and the voice coil will not see the additive power, because they are separate coils. so if you send different signal to them it will break down over time and kill the sub. depending on how bad/how much power will determine how long it will take. I would never ever recommend to anyone to do it, especially someone that doesn't fully understand difference in bridging and parallel/series wiring.

and when that guy makes a post about his blown sub asking how it happened, then I will be there to tell him why.

They are on the same former. The different signals will get evened out because the magnetic field caused by the coils will not "fight" each other beeing on the same former.