c0rrupted0ne

amp turns on, but will go into protect mode

hello guys i have an ap15001d, ive been running it at 1ohm feeding 1200-1400 watts to a lvl 4. recently the amp kept on going to protect mode, i use a dmm to measure voltage, shows a result of 0.00 fuse seems to be ok, so is grounding. does anyone know how to find out what's going on? thanks

Something is just downright not connected if it's showing 0.00

Something is just downright not connected if it's showing 0.00

yea but why is it going to protect mode?

Hmm...I don't have much experience with protect mode since it's only happened to me once, but did you put the DMM to the fuse?

Hmm...I don't have much experience with protect mode since it's only happened to me once, but did you put the DMM to the fuse?

no, fuse looks normal so i didnt

Well check to see if you're getting power before the fuse.

Your meter wasn't correct, if has to show SOMETHING if the amps even turns on at all.

1. Check your ground

2. Check all other connections to make sure they are secure

3. Check you woofer, make sure it isn't blown

4. Open amp up to see if there are any burns.

Do all this in order then come back to us and tell us what you find :)

AND.....Christian stop trying to give advice you don't know what your talking about.

Your meter wasn't correct, if has to show SOMETHING if the amps even turns on at all.

1. Check your ground

AND.....Christian stop trying to give advice you don't know what your talking about.

x2

Mmm. Deal with it. What's the worst that's going to happen? I get banned from a forum?

Mmm. Deal with it. What's the worst that's going to happen? I get banned from a forum?

No you cause some one to damage their stuff, costing them money. Take this to the iHop so I can insult you there

Why even make a loser remark like that, who cares what happens but if your not giving good advice your not helping anyone (Im glad you wanna be tough over the internet, shows how cool you are). :banhim:

By testing to see if the fuse works? Chances are if you damage your stuff doing that, it's not my fault.

:noob:

also check that there are no loose power/ground wire freys of wire at the terminals. it's something simple that can screw things up. same for wire freys on the speaker wires at subwoofer or amp terminals.

1. Check your ground

And the pot calls the kettle black. . . .

Putting the meter on the fuse is not incorrect. Many times I have had a blown fuse, but looking at it, you can not tell. The only way to properly test a fuse is with voltage. Continuity will tell you nothing.

1. Check your ground

And the pot calls the kettle black. . . .

Putting the meter on the fuse is not incorrect. Many times I have had a blown fuse, but looking at it, you can not tell. The only way to properly test a fuse is with voltage. Continuity will tell you nothing.

I never said it was incorrect.

No, you stated he didn't know what he was talking about. There was no reason to tell him not to give advice, especially considering it was good advice.

Seriously, it's done.

so back to the matter at hand! did you determine anything c0rrupted0ne?

did you double check everything and or pull off the back of the amp?

question what size wire are you using and fuse TYPE / AMPERAGE? ANL 150-200amp fuse? agu 80amp

Try setting your DMM to measure resistance and hooking it up to the voice coil(s) of the sub. If that's normal, try swapping out the amp for another one. Your amp may have gone poof.

using 4 gauge wire cuz the 2 gauge didnt seem that much bigger. and by 0.00 i was measuring the output voltage (for the speakers). hook up my re se that is known to be working to the amp, no sound. protect light stays on =(.

Edited by c0rrupted0ne

using 4 gauge wire cuz the 2 gauge didnt seem that much bigger. and by 0.00 i was measuring the output voltage (for the speakers). hook up my re se that is known to be working to the amp, no sound. protect light stays on =(.

ya 4 guage should be ideal but 1/0 would have been better. and yes it doesn't look THAT much bigger but really it is!

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

so do yuo have another battery in the rear? or just off the front? (sorry if you answered this already)

also have you tried swapping amps? jsut simply plug in any amp and hook the sub up to it and turn the volume down and if that amp goes into protect them you know somehting is up on your end but if it works then you know that something is wrong with the amp and you should pull the back off it and look for something out of the ordinary!

also 2/0 and 4awg is HUGE differences lol!!

also 2/0 and 4awg is HUGE differences lol!!

there's not a huge difference from 2 to 4 gauge atleast not if you're just looking at it... he didn't say 2/0 he'd see the difference.

***The AP amps can power up in protect without a 12v constant signal. check your input voltage.. they'll come on in protect with just the remote line powering up.

i just have one battery, i would hook up another amp but i dont have one lol. i think my amp is fried..good thing it is still under warranty. thanks for all the help guys appreciate it.