jcarter1885

jay-cee's Build Log

I will be buying the wood sometime this week or next week, I will get it cut to save me some time and trouble (it will also be easier to fit in my trunk). I need to go buy some screws and clamps, I also plan on attaching the board that the battery will sit on to the piece that will seperate the two batteries from touching one another. I gotta have my sub in by the end of January (a B-day present to me myself).

Whats the hold up? I know its not snowing in the metroplex area like it is here right now. Oh yeah, bump.

Nothing much just getting things sold, finally got all my speakers sold besides 3 of them. Just purchased 60 ft. of speaker wire, distribution blocks, finally got all my rca's. I just want to make sure I got all the small things taken care of so once I start I wont have to stop and put things back together just for something small. Once all the small pieces are acquired then I will be getting the big things done, but right now Im looking for a job also so this build will have slow progress but I will get pictures up of the goods I have so far real soon.

Naw I definitely havent, but headed to Home Depot (to get my t-nuts and bolts so I can mount my subwoofer on the box) right now. Im putting off building the box right now and decided to make sure I get some things done to the car first before I jump into it, but it wont be too much longer.

KnuKonceptz Karma SS 16 gauge wire (60ft.) came today and installed one run of it for my front doors, very easy to work with and love the outer jacket that is wrapped around the positive and negative wires. This will keep the wire from damaging (getting pinched, squished, etc.) and it looks better also.

I definitely didnt get any pictures since it was dark when I did the install, just got done doing it about 20 minutes ago. The only light I had was a flashlight but it was easy, the jacket even went through the door grommet with ease and no problems what so ever. Sorry for not installing earlier to give you guys some pictures, I actually though about that during the install (I was like no pictures to show but I will still tell).

I seen they have that Karma wire in 8ga. I might have to get some.

Edited by j-roadtatts

I seen they have that Karma wire in 8ga. I might have to get some.

Yeah I just purchased some KnuKonceptz Karma SS 10 gauge wire (9ft.) for my subwoofer after installing this wire since I liked it so much.

Went to Home Depot this morning (mid 20's outside) and got me some wood cut, they didnt charge me for the cuts :woot: (which would of been $2.50 extra but oh well). Nothing special just a few pictures, I want to put the enclosure together but dont want to deal with the cold weather.

Cut Wood & extra pieces:

gallery_7913_319_17454.jpg

Distribution Blocks:

gallery_7913_319_58575.jpg

gallery_7913_319_68031.jpg

Car Audio Accessories Briefcase:

gallery_7913_319_14617.jpg

I have one quick question for you fellas, what is the best solution for a sealant (I know most will say silicone since that is its main use)? Would Titebond Wood Glue II or Liquid Nails suffice (is it a lesser grade alternative or higher grade alternative compared to silicone)?

Thanks just curious as to what I should use.

I think its preference more than anything. I am using the titebond ll because its sooo cold out I think it will be easier to work with. Otherwise I would of used subfloor glue. you could silicone the inside when done just to be safe just let the silocone dry so you don't have any fumes left. Me I am going to fiberglass the inside So I will not be using silicone.

I couldnt get this box perfectly straight for nothing but all pieces are cut to right dimensions so its just me bad at finding ways to keep a mock box up on its on (first time trying this).

gallery_7913_319_968.jpg

jc35530.png

After I figure out if I want to use brad nails or screws, then decide on how I want to seal it (liquid nails, titebond II or silicone) and go buy some clamps then I will be in there like swimwear. I would of made it today but damn sure didnt want to in 20 degree weather.

Seal it with Titebond, MDF is porous and Titebond will actually penetrate the wood. Not just bond the surface.

I built the box today, the only thing I have to do is put the top piece on, seal around the top piece once I screw it in and make the cutout hole for subwoofer. I would of finished but the drill died on me and the asshole who let me borrow it didnt tell me he didnt have the charger with him but at least it died in between drills then when I needed it the most. The enclosure did not come out as good as I expected since I like things perfect but it was my first time building an enclosure by myself and not helping like in the past. It is a temporary box and it only cost me around $40 after it is all said and done (wood, screws, titebond II, t-nuts and bolts). Enough of the jibberish on to a few pictures (I didnt take a lot of them, I was to busy rushing since I knew I had limited amount of drill battery time).

gallery_7913_319_1776.jpg

gallery_7913_319_14579.jpg

gallery_7913_319_28851.jpg

The box is looking good!!!trink40.gif I bet your excited to get done, I hate cordless drills when they leave you hangin'. I cut my box pieces today before work so I am felling you!!!

The box is looking good!!!trink40.gif I bet your excited to get done, I hate cordless drills when they leave you hangin'. I cut my box pieces today before work so I am felling you!!!

Thanks it is just a temporary box for now, will make another one during the summer but at least wanted something for now whenever I decide to throw it in the car.