jcarter1885

jay-cee's Build Log

I decided to start the Build Log finally, unlike most it isnt complete and wont be finished in a month or two (as Im still making decisions and buying gear at the moment). I am going to start the build with what has been done in the trunk so far.

Bare naked trunk, starting battery factory location (2 - 1/0 AWG Kicker Hyperflex, soon to be 2 - 3/0 Welding Cable runs of ground wire).

med_gallery_7913_319_2475.jpg

Trunk with Carpet

med_gallery_7913_319_35946.jpg

Sundown SAX-125.2 (for mids - all wiring will be upgraded to KnuKonceptz Kollossus 4 Gauge and KnuKonceptz Karma 16 ga. speaker wire).

med_gallery_7913_319_19999.jpg

I have a board that cut to make a 3/4 lid for the old spare tire area, now the new battery storage area when I get two new batteries. The board covers up most of the area, leaving some room in the back for wires from amps and car (I havent decided how I will throw 2 - 90AH batteries down there yet but thats were they will go). Should I leave lid above carpet or undercarpet (Option #1 or Option #2)? Thanks for input fellas.

Unpainted storage lid

med_gallery_7913_319_9654.jpg

Painted storage lid

med_gallery_7913_319_23717.jpg

Carpet over paint storage lid - Option #1

med_gallery_7913_319_35946.jpg

Storage lid on top of carpet unpainted

med_gallery_7913_319_17507.jpg

Storage lid on top of carpet painted - Option #2

med_gallery_7913_319_28499.jpg

Which route would you go with placing this storage lid, if its above the carpet I will attach enclosure on top of it but if not it will go undercarpet?

The Batteries will need vents to breathe

but i say carpet the top but separately so its still easy to access the batts

Edited by dtcharneski

Im not gonna carpet the lid, it is sprayed with speckle paint and will stay like that. Thats exactly why I didnt make the lid take up the whole storage space and the box will be wider than it is deeper so air will be able to get down there. I just want some suggestions on if the lid should be under the carpet or on top thats all.

Im not gonna carpet the lid, it is sprayed with speckle paint and will stay like that. Thats exactly why I didnt make the lid take up the whole storage space and the box will be wider than it is deeper so air will be able to get down there. I just want some suggestions on if the lid should be under the carpet or on top thats all.

hmmmm.....I would say underneath for a uniform look. When I put some of my painted stuff in, it had scratches on it because of sliding the box in and out so many times.

Coming along nicely. :)

i think i would put it under the carpet , looks better in the pic.

nice area for all the power to be in.

chop

hmmmm.....I would say underneath for a uniform look. When I put some of my painted stuff in, it had scratches on it because of sliding the box in and out so many times.

Very good input on paint being scratched off so that will be a good idea, I wont put the board in the car until I finish painting the other side and putting some type of dampening down to keep it from scratching up the paing (really taking my time with painting this time unlike other things I have painted in the past cause I always tried to finish in one day).

i think i would put it under the carpet , looks better in the pic.

nice area for all the power to be in.

chop

Appreciate ya Chop, I like that idea as well (that was were I was wanting to put it also, great minds think alike but just thought I would ask my SSA Family).

Yeah its not the room I like to have, but its bigger than most cars my size so Im cool with it (wish I had room for 2-15"s).

I agree with Chop, covering it back up with the carpet for a stealth look....FTW!

keep it coming Jay-cee. :ehh:

I will follow dis one!

Seems like a good start for a big install!!!!!!clap.gif

hey bro..... what is your plans with the wiring?

am i reading it right that currently you have the the 2 runs of 0 gauge and will be adding three runs of 3/0 gauge for the ground?

Is your current electrical wiring all 0 gauge? like all the big three is done with it already?

just wanting to get a feel for the electrical....

any subwoofer brand or makepicked out yet?

i have already scratched, (marred), the bejebbers, (lol @ me spelling that), out of my enclosure..... a textured or speckled finish =FTW.

chop

hey bro..... what is your plans with the wiring?

am i reading it right that currently you have the the 2 runs of 0 gauge and will be adding three runs of 3/0 gauge for the ground?

Is your current electrical wiring all 0 gauge? like all the big three is done with it already?

just wanting to get a feel for the electrical....

any subwoofer brand or makepicked out yet?

i have already scratched, (marred), the bejebbers, (lol @ me spelling that), out of my enclosure..... a textured or speckled finish =FTW.

chop

For electrical:

Big 2 of 3 done (only upgraded ground wires so far, will upgrade battery positive to alternator during this build or when I get my h/o alternator but it came with stock 4 gauge so its cool for now).

-engine block to cars frame is currently 1 run of 1/0 AWG Kicker Hyperflex and will be replaced/upgraded with 1 run of 3/0 or 4/0 AWG welding wire.

-battery negative to cars frame is currently 2 runs of 1/0 AWG Kicker Hyperflex and will be replaced/upgraded with 1 run of 3/0 or 4/0 AWG welding wire.

As for subwoofers I am learning towards 1-15" since I never had one and want to try one out, so if I go that route I will get a Sundown Z15(D4) on the Sundown SAZ-2000D at 2 ohms and maybe upgrade in the future to a nightshade if I want more or just to switch between two. But then again I dont want to leave the 2-12"s option and get 2 Sundown SA-12"s and see how they treat me, its all a toss up but for some reason im leaning towards the 15" option. The enclosure will be no more 3.5 for either box tuned at 30Hz. Looking at keeping it an all Sundown trunk for now (subs,amps) for now but time will tell.

single sub setups=ftw!!!

Yeah I ended up flipping a coin and the Sundown Z15 won, so it will be one 15".

single sub setups=ftw!!!

Yeah I ended up flipping a coin and the Sundown Z15 won, so it will be one 15" in 3.36ft^3 @ 29hz with 50.75in^2 of port area.

Thats some low tuning. It should rumble pretty well. The only thing I was thinking about was the vc configuration though. If you got a dual 2ohm, it might be easier to resell. You can wire it to 1ohm and back the gains way down. Most people dont have amps that put out 1krms at 2ohms. Just a thought since you know youve been eyefuckin that NS!

Overall though it looks like a good start. All Sundown sounds great! Id put that board under the carpet as well. Keep the pics comin dude.

so you finally decided on the sub setup. nice choice.

Yeah Im working on getting a board so I can start making my battery tray in the spare tire well. Yeah I like low tuning and Jacob said the lowest I should go is 28 so I decided to go 29hz. Well yeah your right but Im cool on that, this may be a temporary sub or may be permanent sub but regardless of what amp someone has the sub will resale if I want it too. I am looking at the Nightshade v2 and if I do purchase it I will have 2 subs in case something happens or dont like the Nightshade v2 or whatever. But thanks for the info.

so you finally decided on the sub setup. nice choice.

yeah it came down to me flipping a nickel since at the time a quarter wasnt available, the Z15 won best out of 3 and 5. The board will go under carpet also.

If you need any help let me know I'll come help ya since we are in the same area. Plus would like to meet a fellow forum member. I'm off 75 and Mockingbird don't know if thats close to you or not. But a small drive is always fun.

If you need any help let me know I'll come help ya since we are in the same area. Plus would like to meet a fellow forum member. I'm off 75 and Mockingbird don't know if thats close to you or not. But a small drive is always fun.

Not a problem man, I will definantly take you up on that offer (we can have some beers and relax and talk audio, pick each other's brain on this hobby/addiction). I stay right across the street from new Cowbosy Stadium and down the street from the Rangers Ballpark. This build log will be slow and decisions and designs are slowly changing so I could use someone else's input also since I have been sending everybody PM's lately just for their crtique.

Sundown Audio Z15 ordered a second ago, :woot: .