jcarter1885

jay-cee's Build Log

nice to see you started the log. good stuff

and nice choice on the sub.

good luck!

nice to see you started the log. good stuff

and nice choice on the sub.

good luck!

Thanks man, it will be awhile before everything will be done but I thought this is a great time to start the build log.

I wanna see that bad boy when you get it

And that you will, I ordered sub yesterday (Monday) just got a tracking number that it was shipped today (Tuesday) and it will be here on Friday.

Jacob is the man.

Im feeling like :dancing::hyper::dance::gift: .

:popcorn:

Looking foward to your progress.

You should bump the tuning up. The Z15 is wanging pretty low and Im tuned somewhere around 35 or 36 hz. Just advice from a fellow Z15 owner.

You should bump the tuning up. The Z15 is wanging pretty low and Im tuned somewhere around 35 or 36 hz. Just advice from a fellow Z15 owner.

Why would I and everybody has there preferences, those may be lows to you but not to me (Im down 1hz from what is recommended and I prefer lows over output anyday). But thanks for your input, if anything I will go to 30Hz and no higher.

hey bro, my .02 about the tuning is on the same take as yours. I thought that the higher tuning would increase my output and give me a bettr apreciaton for my system. I tell you, around 40 to 44 hz., the thing is loud and everything shakes. ( thanks for the test cd chicagofan ) , but with my music, it lacks, i just don't like it. i want them lows back. If i was to rebuild mine or purchase a totally new set-up, i would go with a lower tuning. it is definetly a better choice for my preferances. the out put will still be there, perhaps a tad bit less, but i am am not competing in a spl bracket currently.

if i had the loot, i would get a couple of those subs coming my way too, that is the right price to get them moving.

chop

hey bro, my .02 about the tuning is on the same take as yours. I thought that the higher tuning would increase my output and give me a bettr apreciaton for my system. I tell you, around 40 to 44 hz., the thing is loud and everything shakes. ( thanks for the test cd chicagofan ) , but with my music, it lacks, i just don't like it. i want them lows back. If i was to rebuild mine or purchase a totally new set-up, i would go with a lower tuning. it is definetly a better choice for my preferances. the out put will still be there, perhaps a tad bit less, but i am am not competing in a spl bracket currently.

if i had the loot, i would get a couple of those subs coming my way too, that is the right price to get them moving.

chop

Yeah I felt as though I couldnt pass this offer up, but it felt like he was telling me hey you would like were I tune it (didnt ask or anything just made it seem like that was rule of thumb for there tunig like its no exceptions). Yeah I love the lows and could care less about ouptut becaue it will still be there regardless, now if I wanted to compete then I would take that into consideration to tune higher. I just came from a box tuned at 26Hz and to go up to 35hz or 36hz is ridiculous to me. If I do good numbers then I want it to be at a lower frequency (now thats impressive) cause anybody can tune a box in the 35hz - 45hz range and get good numbers on output.

What are your plans now Chop, dont give up on the sub I bet it will be where you want it when you get the right box for it that fits your preferences.

i am going lower.... i think i gave it a little too much airspace, .50 cube smaller @ 3.5 instead of 4, and i need to drop it to 32 hz. , my thing is, after chicagofan and i played some test tones in there, i might like 30hz. tuning. i have my eye on a battery in two weeks and a dmm is on the way from a buddy. that will get the electrical up to snuff. then it will be mdf. time.

what would you suggest? do you listen to jezzy? there is several tracks missing that "feeling" it should have.

chop

i am going lower.... i think i gave it a little too much airspace, .50 cube smaller @ 3.5 instead of 4, and i need to drop it to 32 hz. , my thing is, after chicagofan and i played some test tones in there, i might like 30hz. tuning. i have my eye on a battery in two weeks and a dmm is on the way from a buddy. that will get the electrical up to snuff. then it will be mdf. time.

what would you suggest? do you listen to jezzy? there is several tracks missing that "feeling" it should have.

chop

Yeah I think the 3.5ft^3 will probably suit it better, but the tuning is something you have to decide on what you want to lose or give up or comprimise. For example:

27-30Hz (great lows, ok output)

31-35Hz (good lows and good output)

36hz or higher (ok lows and great output)

After all this Im thinking I may rise my tuning to 30Hz and no higher (but 29Hz isnt that far off so it is still a toss up), we will see by the time it comes to build a box for it.

i have seen threads regarding the reasoncents ( horrible attempt at spelling) of the vehicle.... how it loads off of the different surfaces and how it sounds. i need to read up on this to understand it better. i know in short that your vehicles interior can alter the tuning. I think that the better lows have the best approach for me. I want the output, but like you said, i want it low. I will go for more output and better lows, just as soon as i get the dang lottery numbers right, and it will all be in a mid 90's wagon! lol.

chop

Yeah I think the 3.5ft^3 will probably suit it better, but the tuning is something you have to decide on what you want to lose or give up or comprimise. For example:

After all this Im thinking I may rise my tuning to 30Hz and no higher (but 29Hz isnt that far off so it is still a toss up), we will see by the time it comes to build a box for it.

keep in mind box size has just as much to do with hitting the lows as the tuning does. You can lose 2-3 db's on the low notes if box is just 1 cube too small to efficiently reproduce the lows. so if you tune lower, but don't increase box size or even decrease box size you may say opposite effect you are looking for. If you are really trying to bang the lows, I would recommend something in the 4cuft range. My favorite setup thus far is my single 15" Q in 4.8cuft after port and displacement tuned to 28hz. That thing was ridiculous, especially for only one sub, I have some vids of that build up on youtube. Never had the chance to make vid of my other setups. Once I get the SA-12's in there will def. be a vid though.

I wasnt trying to tell you how to tune. Ive always been told 35 35 35. Maybe its just the guys I learned from.

I had a 22hz box for about 6 months. Lows are nice but I hated how it would just die and get flat anywhere above 40hz.

Its hitting pretty close to where that box was. But its your car.

Edited by TheSundownFire

i have seen threads regarding the reasoncents ( horrible attempt at spelling) of the vehicle.... how it loads off of the different surfaces and how it sounds. i need to read up on this to understand it better. i know in short that your vehicles interior can alter the tuning. I think that the better lows have the best approach for me. I want the output, but like you said, i want it low. I will go for more output and better lows, just as soon as i get the dang lottery numbers right, and it will all be in a mid 90's wagon! lol.

Yeah man just so it will be easy to search here you go (resonance), but yeah Im still learning all this tuning and how your car affects it but the range I posted a minute ago is my understanding of tuning frequencies for a ported enclosure. I dont think your the ultimate low fan so I think 32Hz is a good place to start for tuning and go from there.

chop

keep in mind box size has just as much to do with hitting the lows as the tuning does. You can lose 2-3 db's on the low notes if box is just 1 cube too small to efficiently reproduce the lows. so if you tune lower, but don't increase box size or even decrease box size you may say opposite effect you are looking for. If you are really trying to bang the lows, I would recommend something in the 4cuft range. My favorite setup thus far is my single 15" Q in 4.8cuft after port and displacement tuned to 28hz. That thing was ridiculous, especially for only one sub, I have some vids of that build up on youtube. Never had the chance to make vid of my other setups. Once I get the SA-12's in there will def. be a vid though.

I am glad you posted this.... i thought i had read something to that effect before. it would not bother me a bit to just, lower the tuning , as long as it changed it to the good. my thoughts of the smaller enclosure is based on it seems to get a liitle warm on the test notes. i still have to set my amp the correct way. so it could be the amp as opposed to too much air.

thank you for the input.

chop

Keep it under the carpet itll look better

I do know that box size does play a role into the tuning equation but since nobody can give Chop a good box size to go with for that sub and he said the box seemed to big so I recommended going a little smaller. The reason why my box is so small because thats what Sundown ask for their 15"s and mine is .15ft^3 bigger than the biggest recommendation.

Yeah man just so it will be easy to search here you go (resonance), but yeah Im still learning all this tuning and how your car affects it but the range I posted a minute ago is my understanding of tuning frequencies for a ported enclosure. I dont think your the ultimate low fan so I think 32Hz is a good place to start for tuning and go from there.

right on. well then, until someone else talks me out of it, 32hz. @ 4 cubes will be the next box.

on the back burner, i have a pair of 15" IA LI's wanting me to adopt them.

perhaps i will, lol.

I wasnt trying to tell you how to tune. Ive always been told 35 35 35. Maybe its just the guys I learned from.

I had a 22hz box for about 6 months. Lows are nice but I hated how it would just die and get flat anywhere above 40hz.

Its hitting pretty close to where that box was. But its your car.

Thanks for your advice and I will raise the tuning to 30hz and leave it there, time to design a new box.

Keep it under the carpet itll look better

I appreciate you and I definantly will, now Im making my battery rack (which wont happen over nite so people grab your :popcorn: and :drink40: and stay posted).

which woofer is it? the WMD2 from Pierce Audio? I see that in your sig...but I know sometimes ppl upgrade/change without changing sig. if it still that PA WMD2 then I would say it is your gain setting. that sub should be able to handle everything from the 1500d. Unless you are running a 16v system....I don't personally have the program, but I have worked with Mr. Atwell before on figuring out what tuning I want, or what space I have and what tuning is optimal for size box I could fit. I see ppl all the time try to tune a smaller box to 30hz or lower and it is just a waste. They don't understand then how it still can't hit the lows, and somehow is even louder in the mid 40 hz range....I do see your tuning is awfully high, 35 hz? I mean awfully High for me, I like to stay around 30 hz. If it was me I would tune that woofer down to 31 hz and add a half cube to the box..

Man i would love to see everything the 1500d can do at say 18volts .5 ohm....I would bet 3kw. anyway was just thinking out loud there.

Hey, hey you guys are cluttering my topic with all this :bsflag:, just playing I wanted to raise my post count some.

Hey, hey you guys are cluttering my topic with all this :bsflag:, just playing I wanted to raise my post count some.

oops, sorry.

lol @ your flag.

which woofer is it? the WMD2 from Pierce Audio? I see that in your sig...but I know sometimes ppl upgrade/change without changing sig. if it still that PA WMD2 then I would say it is your gain setting. that sub should be able to handle everything from the 1500d. Unless you are running a 16v system....I don't personally have the program, but I have worked with Mr. Atwell before on figuring out what tuning I want, or what space I have and what tuning is optimal for size box I could fit. I see ppl all the time try to tune a smaller box to 30hz or lower and it is just a waste. They don't understand then how it still can't hit the lows, and somehow is even louder in the mid 40 hz range....I do see your tuning is awfully high, 35 hz? I mean awfully High for me, I like to stay around 30 hz. If it was me I would tune that woofer down to 31 hz and add a half cube to the box..

Man i would love to see everything the 1500d can do at say 18volts .5 ohm....I would bet 3kw. anyway was just thinking out loud there.

if you would, check out my build log and post on the subwoofer, i would love to continue receiving any advice that you may have..

sorry for the jacking jay-cee.