UndercoverPunk

ported doorpods

dam i wish u was in new york or jersey or ct ........i really wish i could hear them.......how about making a vid.....i'm thinking about doing the same thing to my car.....i'm sure your midbass is loud as hell

I will be making quite a few Hi-Res videos, just gotta get a mini dvd-rw. There will also be a clusterfudge of photos, as well as a head to head review of the Extremis and XXX mids.

Don't worry, between me and Noah, we'll have you covered.

I havn't really tested them in car as of yet, so I don't know fully what to expect, but I will tell you this...

I had just the drivers pod hooked up, tuned with a 4" long port to ~46hz, powered off an Audiovox shelf system head, and you could easily hear the bass in the basement, over the TV. It also vibrated my trash can to a point that I had to put a pillow on top to stoop the lid from rattling.

Tirefryr?  Squeak?  anybody, except Jim... (cause I already asked him)

Do you think this would do the trick for absorbing the mid frequencies off the back of the speaker that are then being reflected out the port?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=260-516

I doubt you're experiencing standing waves in that small enclosure. Now as far as reflections, I imaging that may work, But I would try some cheap poly fill first. The batting kind where it can be stapled or glued to the enclosure walls would be my first choice.

I've done exactly 2 vented midbass enclosures and had this problem once. The poly did very well, but on my next go at them, I placed the vent under the driver and had it firing towards the front of the vehicle. I had excellent results with this setup. Of course, I never leave the bare glass finish inside the enclosure. I always have some form of deadener and clay along with some type of polyfil. Just my own $.02.

I have some leftover b-stock spectrum, and some "polyfill" aka pillow stuffing I'll give it a shot!

Edit, thanks by the way!

Life hates me right now... no comparison this weekend, I'm hoping for next weekend. The damn extremis mids move to much pucking air. I can't believe that 1.5"s is too small of a port for these things, MAD MAD MAD port noise. So I've gotten some 2" ID PVC. and honestly, if this doesn't work I'm going to be forced to seal up the drivers pod and just run them as such. But if the 2" PVC works I have to cut the driver pod up and glass a bigass bump onto it to accomidate it. it's driving me nuts.

Noah came up and we tore out the Blaufuct and wired up the kickers. 9835 comes thursday. I couldn't test the new ports cause it was too late and such, so first thing in the morning before I go to work I'm firing that female dog up, and if there's noise, I'm going to be late for work on account of me chitting all over myself. I'm growing tired of these problems....

Picture

aug070017je.th.jpg

[/female dogfest]

can u fit a 2.5inch port if not.......why dont u try and slot vent the port....sad to say but u might have to re fiberglass the round hole 4 a square or rectangle hole....just a thought u might want to consider......dont bug out just yet.....u have options..

the anticipation...

hope all turns out well

They are like subs

13MM x max idnt exactly nothing

They are like subs

13MM x max idnt exactly nothing

:+1: which means port area needed...lol...

i hope the 2" works out well!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

So far, it's not. I fired it up today before I left and there was noise with the 2" had noise too, I'm going to bust the dremel out when I get home and round the edges, but I highly doubt that's gonna help, and at this point, I'm not willing to fabricate slot ports or anything like that, any larger port area and I'm going to be getting into huge port lengths

In the name of having sound in my car again I'll just seal the drivers pod and be done with it. maybe I'll feel like messing with it later or just trying a different approach, but at this point, it's just not worth it. I just want music again.

damn..that sucks...

maybe the rounding will help...sure u don't wanna try 3" before u seal?

but i understand ur dilemma....i'm about to throw the s18x back in the truck...the rl-p jsut isn't the same..lol...me wants big beats again..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

A 3" would require me to redo the baffle, not to mention the increased port length. Had I known going into it that they would require such ginormous port area, I would have designed them as such, but the way they are now, the biggest I can fit is 2.5" OD.

I did some listening on my lunch and I'm actually much more optomistic about the rounding than I was before. Even if it doesn't, I'm sure I'll have great midbass with just the pods sealed. So either way I'm happy, I'd just be more happy if they were ported.

No matter what I'm not sealing the pod till I get it in car with the crossovers on it.

Put the vent on a different plane. Seal up that hole on the front and run the vent firing forward. Also, go to a craft store and get some cardboard tubing. Much thinner walls with great stiffness. It's also easier to manipulate.

ahhh well :(

sux, was looking forward to vented extremii. *crosses fingers* for rounding edges.

I'm thinking gung--ho for ryans idea, I already have some 3" ID tubes, my dad has a bunch laying around. All I gotta do is seal the old port hole, make sure there is enough room infront of the pods so I don't ppick up noise from it venting right on something, and use the measurements I took to get the exact port length I need.

ch-ch-ch-check it out! (not the most exact, but it'll do.)

aug080012po.th.jpg

Drivers side: .5264

Passanger: .5347

gotta throw some extra resin in the pass pod to get it closer to the DP and I'm set.

you could mount the tweeter in the old port spot now if you really wanted to

3'' port..........u should be fine

if not i'll break something

3'' port..........u should be fine

if not i'll break something

Exactly what I'm thinking. All I gotta do now is figure a good way to mount the mouth of the port to where it doesn't

a) come too close to the plasitc chit right infront of the door.

b.) change the port length (if I flush mount it on an angled surface)

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do just yet.

you could mount the tweeter in the old port spot now if you really wanted to

my thoughts, exactly...

and good luck!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I don't want to mount the tweeters on the enclosure itsself because I plan on switching to horns in the future and I don't really want a big ole tweeter flush mounted on them if I'm not going to be using them.

not to mention I'm going to put the tweeters where ever they sound the best. They probably won't even be mounted permanently for a few months if at all in this caprice.

I wouldn't be too overly concerned about the interference with the plastic. As long as it's not totally blocking the vent, you'll be fine. If anything, it'll act as an extension and lower the tuning, but I highly doubt it.