While sitting here thinking about how i keep reading about capacitor or battery topic.. this popped in my head.

So, i am curious...

With the new XS VCM, will this not only replace MLA but also capacitor use period?

For those that don't know what an XS VCM is, let me briefly describe it.

It is an add-on device for stock or aftermarket alternators that has an attached module that sits in your car.

This module is set to any voltage in 0.1v increments up to 19.5v if your setup supports such voltage.

When the VCM is used, whatever voltage is set, this voltage will NOT fluctuate...not fluctuate...not...ever(with slight exception below)

In testing, it is shown that, for example, when set to 14.9v, the voltage did dip down to 14.8v but that's it. The VCM is not effected by temp, regulator, computer or other conditions that can make your voltage fluctuate.

When pulling current out of alternator, the voltage will NOT dip below it's preset value unless the alternator is maxed out based upon rpm value. Once the alternator has reached it's maximum current output, the VCM can no longer keep voltage stable and will drop to battery voltage from there until demand is lowered or ceased to allow the alternator to control the demand 100% again.

So.. since this thing keeps voltage stable... Is this the end of automotive cap use?

By the way, this module is under $150 so it's many many times cheaper than a lot of capacitors out there.

Links to any actual test reports or info on these units?

To be honest, I would say I'm initially a little skeptical of the claims. The reason voltage sags is typically either 1) because the electrical system is not able to react immediately to an increased demand due to various electrical/mechanical reasons, or 2) because you are exceeding the amperage capabilities of the system. I would be interested to know how this unit overcomes limitation #1. I'm no electrical system guru, but it seems the unit would either need to artificially reduce (or limit) the amount of power demanded from/provided to the system or anticipate the future needs of the connected electronics prior to the increased demand in order to achieve what it claims. Especially with the transient and dynamic power demands the typical high powered audio system places on an electrical system.

Not to say it doesn't work as advertised, as I admittedly don't have the requisite knowledge of the product......so I guess this may be a fine time to learn something new :)

Why would you even compare a VCM and a capacitor?

A VCM's main purpose is to increase your alternator voltage. If you haven't noticed, when your alternator gets hot the voltage drops. A VCM eliminates this drop, thus giving you a higher voltage, effectively increasing the wattage capability of your electrical system. Think of it like an external regulator that you can add to your current electrical system without having to swap out alternators.

A cap's main purpose (when used correctly), is to support instantaneous bursts of current demand. It does nothing for voltage. Whatever voltage is put into the cap, it will put out that same voltage (unless it's a shitty cap in which case it will probably DECREASE your voltage)

Edited by tommyk90

i also like to know how it works... However, i was told i will have to wait until the patent is finalized before Powermaster can publicly announce how it does work.

i'll give u this link but i dont know if u find the info u want-

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18816

I can't find the original link that first announced this product, i'm still looking for it.

Tommyk- somewhere reading someone stated it maintains the set voltage until the alternator reaches it's maximum current output based on whatever rpm u are currently at of course. So, it supposedly will do more than just remain stable due to alt temps.

Caps are known around here as voltage stabilizers, that's why i had asked about the comparison since voltage does fluctuate on a typical system a couple tenths of a volt anyway at least.

Tommyk- somewhere reading someone stated it maintains the set voltage until the alternator reaches it's maximum current output based on whatever rpm u are currently at of course. So, it supposedly will do more than just remain stable due to alt temps.

Caps are known around here as voltage stabilizers, that's why i had asked about the comparison since voltage does fluctuate on a typical system a couple tenths of a volt anyway at least.

To be honest, I think it was a bit of a misunderstanding.

I think of the VCM as an external regulator that you can add to a stock/aftermarket alt with an internal regulator.

I don't believe it will keep voltage constant when there is a good amount of current being drawn, even if it's not the alternators maximum current capability.

A VCM's main purpose is to increase your alternator voltage. If you haven't noticed, when your alternator gets hot the voltage drops. A VCM eliminates this drop, thus giving you a higher voltage, effectively increasing the wattage capability of your electrical system. Think of it like an external regulator that you can add to your current electrical system without having to swap out alternators.

That sounds like a much more reasonable and obtainable description.

All this VCM does is turn your cars electrical system into a constant voltage variable current system instead of the constant current variable voltage system we all have now

i am awaiting the answer to your belief as i see u will see it too, hehe, when it gets posted, hopefully by XS and not by another user.

o wow for only 150$ this sound like everyone would need one! i woudl love to see some inital testing! to see how it fairs it out!

Well, just got the answer and it is confirmed by scottie J himself.

Example was-

If u have an alt rated for 270A and engine is currently revved to 2,000rpm.

If you have a constant load of 185A and VCM is set to 14.9v, your voltage will NOT drop at all as long as u don't have any belt problems, etc...

So, like i say before, the thing is geared to keep voltage stabilized until alternator maxes out... This is better than what any voltage regulator can do and more.

Uhm, so as I understand this will over ride the existing regulator. My issue is with my "Honda Fit" aftermarket alts are not available nor is there enough room inside my case to re wind the existing alt. The existing ECU and charging circuit is RPM based and therefore doesn't charge at idle and low RPM. Would the VCM address this issue?

Soapbox

either contact nathan or scottie at www.xspowerbatteries.com or contact the member phi on here as he has the same type of problem you have but he is getting a 270A alternator for his. He'd know more about it than i would.

I want to see some testing done on these. I was going to get an MLA but this is much better. My concern is will this kill the alternator? I don't know if it is smart to max out your alt like that. I might contact Dom over at Iraggi and see what he says.

lol, no, it won't harm your alternator.

If u want all the itty bitty details, contact xspowerbatteries.com or contact scottie J at Powermaster.