Sign in to follow this  
SynCity

what is the deal with BXI2610d?

okay i had my mind set on getting these amps 2 of them. after hearing my friends 2010d powering 2 15" ssd's it sounds really really good. every "expert" i've talked to said those are the best amps for the buck right now and HIGHLY recommend them. and i've seen a 2010d power 8 12" AQ's for a long time (5 months) before it overheated/blew.

i've always heard (a few years ago) that they have overheating problems. but then again i heard the 2010 models have a different circutiy.

i'm really confused on this i do not have the money to spend on "testing" amps anymore and i'm tired of blowing money on low end equipment.

so anyways i had my mind set on 2 bxi2610's for about a month. but now that i keep looking on here i keep seeing people bashing hifonics making me second guess my future purchase.

after looking at DB-R i see they got a 3500 sundown for about 620. and i've heard at 12v they throw out 3800w+ .

but

the whole "refurbed" thing sounds not as good as new.

so if someone could please clear up this whole hifonics thing and exactly why they are not a good buy for higher end equipment please oh please tell me.

i know why people say SUNDOWN FTW. the customer service and 12v ratings and ect.. so this is not doubting SUNDOWN in anyways.

Edited by SynCity

They have the same board as the American Bass VFL 400 but the VFL uses cheaper parts so the rail voltage it lower. The Hifonics can run at .5 ohm all day with a nice fat supplemental battery and chubby Big 3 without running and upgraded alternator.

However, you are inclined to run a pair of them. This may require more than the above mentioned current upgrades, seeing as how you will have the potentional current draw of 500A( 250 each amp) you should look at a larger alt as well as larger batteries.

You will not be wasting your hard earned dollars on these amps.

The newer boards do not get as hot as the 08 series and have up-graded the boards to such a degree, the 08s and the 10s do not share the same heatsinks.

Futhermore, the amplifiers efficiency has been increased to such a degree, you can run the newer model of an amplifier of the same specs, (1608 vs 1610) and see the fuse size decrease but the output remain the same. Apply this to the 2610...

It seems that you want a reliable amplifier. Sundown FTW !!!

I've never used Hifonics amps, but I've read too much bad things on them. Maybe the new models are better.

I would choose a refurb Sundown from db-r rather than a new Hifonics. db-r gives you a one-year warranty and a rally good and tested product.

BTW these amps are on sale right now at Sundown, at the SSA store, and at db-r !

It's up to you now. Do the right move!

They have the same board as the American Bass VFL 400 but the VFL uses cheaper parts so the rail voltage it lower. The Hifonics can run at .5 ohm all day with a nice fat supplemental battery and chubby Big 3 without running and upgraded alternator.

However, you are inclined to run a pair of them. This may require more than the above mentioned current upgrades, seeing as how you will have the potentional current draw of 500A( 250 each amp) you should look at a larger alt as well as larger batteries.

You will not be wasting your hard earned dollars on these amps.

The newer boards do not get as hot as the 08 series and have up-graded the boards to such a degree, the 08s and the 10s do not share the same heatsinks.

Futhermore, the amplifiers efficiency has been increased to such a degree, you can run the newer model of an amplifier of the same specs, (1608 vs 1610) and see the fuse size decrease but the output remain the same. Apply this to the 2610...

I very much doubt the Crapfonics shares something with the 400.1. Post some pics to back that up. I'm curious.

The price of the components does not determine the voltage rail. It's vise-versa. You have a high voltage rail (which is obtained from the power supply transformers), you need expensive components to work with the higher voltage.

And it is not going to determine if you need a very stout electrical system or not. You need power to make power. It can have a 30v rail voltage or a 60v rail voltage, if it makes 600w it uses the same current.

On the refurb amp question....

considering the work db-r has done, I would trust him.

Hifonics has a failure rate that I wouldnt want to deal with or take a chance on to see if mine would be one of the ones that fail or not. Plus you say you hear bad things about them so why by something were this is mixed reviews on it, that would be a sign too. I also was in this boat myself thinking about buying Hifonics or Audioque over Sundown but glad I choose otherwise. If your tired of wasting your money on low end products then why are you even talking about spending your money on Hifonics, that is being hypocritical right there. Id rather buy new myself over refurbished but I would buy refurbished Sundown anyday over a brand new Hifonics amp. Just my .02

ya i would take sundown or AQ all day over hifonics. i used to have 2 and both took a shit. they heat up really fast. and dont put out rated. i would stick with AQ or sundown just based on the fact they dont get bad reviews, not to mention you get great customer service with both.

My bad I am trully sorry for misleading everyone, I was in fact mistaken. After review I see I was fully intent on mentioning the Crunch GP4000, I am sorry if this confused anyone. OP, my bad.

Sundown is the way to go! Even though AQ has reputable products and good customer service. Sundown is just a better designed product!

yeah i know sundown is far better... i was just wondering about hifonics and why everyone bashes them.

i have a little more research to do. Thank you for your help.

now i think i may go with 2 2000d sundowns or you think 1 3500d would be enough for 4 15" icons.

Edited by SynCity

yeah i know sundown is far better... i was just wondering about hifonics and why everyone bashes them.

now i think i may go with 2 2000d sundowns or you think 1 3500d would be enough for 4 15" icons.

A SAZ-3000D or SAZ-3500D will fit the bill also, you wont hear the difference anyway.

A SAZ-3000D or SAZ-3500D will fit the bill also, you wont hear the differnce anyway.

x2 a 3500D would be perfect, you can get a damn good deal on those at db-r

every amp breaks, thats why DB-R keeps a good supply of refurbished amps.!!! I know plenty of people who's had great success with hifonics, when installed correctly, and also i've heard bad things too, but none that was DOA. and when the amps do have a problem , they're quick to blame the manufactur instead of themselves. To the OP, i see nothing wrong with getting a 2610, but ask yourself this question, they keep bashing on hifonics then 1) why would db-r be selling so many refurbished amps. 2) why did they break 3) was it user error 4) was it DOA . This happens to the best of them, no matter what name is on it.

Edited by corrie3232

Hifonics has a failure rate that I wouldnt want to deal with or take a chance on to see if mine would be one of the ones that fail or not. Plus you say you hear bad things about them so why by something were this is mixed reviews on it, that would be a sign too. I also was in this boat myself thinking about buying Hifonics or Audioque over Sundown but glad I choose otherwise. If your tired of wasting your money on low end products then why are you even talking about spending your money on Hifonics, that is being hypocritical right there. Id rather buy new myself over refurbished but I would buy refurbished Sundown anyday over a brand new Hifonics amp. Just my .02

X2

i've used a bxi 1208 before, one crapped out on me about a month using it, and the second didnt last much longer. so i got a refurb. from db-r a couple months ago, and it is still working perfectly. he has amazing CS and cant beat the price ;) i recently got a brand new sundown 125.4 and that is an amazing amp as well. either way you go with sundown you will NOT be let down, just check out all the customer reviews!

every amp breaks, thats why DB-R keeps a good supply of refurbished amps.!!! I know plenty of people who's had great success with hifonics, when installed correctly, and also i've heard bad things too, but none that was DOA. and when the amps do have a problem , they're quick to blame the manufactur instead of themselves. To the OP, i see nothing wrong with getting a 2610, but ask yourself this question, they keep bashing on hifonics then 1) why would db-r be selling so many refurbished amps. 2) why did they break 3) was it user error 4) was it DOA . This happens to the best of them, no matter what name is on it.

Well said. I caught alot of flack from the keyboard commando's too when I decided to get a HiFonics amp for my mids/highs but i've yet to get a single complaint about the SQ of my system.