Thewes

(2) SSA Xcon 18'' Review

So last night I took around an hour or so to write up some huge review on my new pair of 18'' Sound Solution Audio Xcons. Unfortunately there was a url glitch and the thread is gone, so I will try to sum up my product review instead of another 5000 word essay.

The SSA Xcon is an amazingly solid driver that has absurd amounts of low end output (on little power might I add) and still acts incredibly responsive, the sound quality of this sub does not hold back its ability to "get loud" one bit. I feel that the Xcon is a very under appreciated driver in today's market, so luckily for you all interested in this sub, I'm taking more time to write this second review.

My enclosure is 14^3ft, all 3/4'' birch ply doubled up all around. Its tuned to 27hz.. Originally I had a pair of 18'' nightshades (3kw versions), and all though I highly recommend all sundown products,i shortly realized the nightshades were too SPL oriented for my application. After switching to the SSA Xcons and only powering them with an AQ 1200d at .5ohms, I blew my trucks sunroof off its hinges @ 30hz and it sounded pretty damn good while doing it. These subwoofers are amazing, I still can't believe something can sound this tight and get so loud at the same time. At first I was a bit hesitant at the single slug design, but the first note that dropped completely took all my doubt away. (and took my sunroof away) The icing on the cake would have to be the sub is down right attractive due to the concave cone and textured 12 spoke basket.

As far as cons go, I haven't ran into any big ones yet. But from an unbiased point of view I have to reach up in my ass and bring something out. One thing would be the push terminals couldn't fit my 8 gauge, but not too many drivers take wire that thick. The only other thing would be some might consider the power handling a bit low at 1750 RMS, but oh boy, after only giving them 700 a piece, I am somewhat scared to hear them with any more power.

So all bullshit aside, if you are looking for a driver that has incredible low end output, and still enough precision to make an audiophile shit himself, then the SSA Xcon is what you want. I'll post some pictures below, and when I get some more power I will throw up my numbers and videos.

the drivers

IMG_0531.jpg

the enclosure

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

gave it some foam and vinyl...

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

DSC02852.jpg

Man I bet those are eargasmic, look's SUPER clean!!!smile.gif

Copyright Duran Industries 2010.

:)

I like how you went subs up port forward.

Looks great! Very clean.

Why did you run sups up port front? I have always run the port back. Just curious if you have tried both before.

My 18's should be here tomorrow. :woot:

Have not even started on the box. :suicide-santa:

Glad you bumped this topic, I re-read this, and love this review even more! It will indeed make it to the review section on the home page.

Thanks again for taking the time for this review.

Glad you bumped this topic, I re-read this, and love this review even more! It will indeed make it to the review section on the home page.

Agree, it was well written.

Wish I could have read the one he lost to the glitch.

Great review on an unknown great brand in SSA!

Install and box look excellent!

Man I bet those are eargasmic, look's SUPER clean!!!smile.gif

Copyright Duran Industries 2010.

:)

I like how you went subs up port forward.

looks like sub up port back to me.

thanks for taking the time to spread the word... infact you may have just helped me look into grabbing a pair.....

vids fosho!

Great review and the subs are up and port back..... :drink40: