I'm looking into getting a new head unit, and I was wanting some suggestions.. I'm looking for something simple, but quality. I need ability to play MP3 CD's, Have an AUX input, and a USB port that will work with iPod or iPhone (not a major need though). I have an XO vision something or other 3" screen DVD player type head unit that I got from wal mart online for like 100$, and I'm just not impressed with the quality or controls. In order to do anything on the HU you have to use the remote control, which is extremely annoying. The built in EQ is pitiful too. I'm just looking for simple, and quality, with the features I stated above. My budget is about 250-300$. I don't have a lot of experience with head units, so I'm simply just looking for a direction to look in when I plan on updating. Suggestions anyone?

I'd look for one with an interface for the iPod that YOU like.

Generically speaking I am a fan of Pioneer, Alpine & Eclipse although for your needs pretty much any real brand would do. The separation between units these days isn't so extreme and you could actually probably even shrink your budget unless you are looking for specific crossover or EQ capability.

Alpine iPod interfaces are great, and they have a decent size line to choose from.

i personally have an Alpine CDA-9886, and love it's iPod interface. it has usb as well, and has nice EQ options.

but, your best bet is to go to a bestbuy or audio shop and try em' all out for yourself.

Edited by mbarber25

Any High End Pioneer Or Eclipse Will Meet Your Needs, Not A Fan Of Alpine.

I'd look for one with an interface for the iPod that YOU like.

Generically speaking I am a fan of Pioneer, Alpine & Eclipse although for your needs pretty much any real brand would do. The separation between units these days isn't so extreme and you could actually probably even shrink your budget unless you are looking for specific crossover or EQ capability.

x2, I am a big fan of Alpine, i feel they look the cleanest but that's my .02..some would disagree

the alpine 9886 is what i would buy (oh wait... already did that)

you can get it for 299.99 online at crutchfield. or 269.99 on sonicelectronix.

but with cruthfield you get the wiring harness and dash kit i believe, which would cost you about another 30 anyways

The 9886 is super easy to use, super easy. The ipod controls are cool and it charges certain models of ipod (they list the ones they charge online)

the SQ is better than i expected. and i expected good things. It's a great unit if your not going to spend the time, or have the in-depth knowledge, to tune your entire system to absolute maximum.

if that's what your looking for... alpine 9887, eclipse 7200mkII. But understand that if you don't know what you're doing, and you buy those, you're just wasting your money.

only complaint about the 9886, is the USB hook up (separate from ipod control) is a unnecessarily short cable.

I bought it for its SQ and its user friendly-ness

Edited by Frostedflakejake

oh, also, alpine really seems to boast about this "bio-lite" display they got going on. and i do say, it never glares up and it's always extremely easy to read. a nice feature.

I'm a big fan of Kenwood and Alpine. My favorite lines would be The excelon series from Kewnood and for Alpine the IdA-X100-200-303 series, no CD but great great Ipod and USB support.