Sign in to follow this  
shakes

Dumb question about strapping

I've been reading and reading and I guess I haven't really seen it explained in a way that I understand 100% so I must ask.

Let's say I have a dual 1 ohm sub, If I wire it in series to a pair of strapped amps each amp will be seeing a 1 ohm load right?

When I wire it I simply sire in series to the 1st amp and just run the RCA to the slave amp?

Edited by shakes

Yes, each amp will see a 1 ohm load. And no, you don't wire it to the first amp, there's a lil more than just rca's...May I ask what amps you are strapping. Not all amps can be strapped.

If im correct you will be actually seeing a 4 ohm load, usually when strapping you go up in ohms and not down.

Read this link:

Sundown Audio - Frequently Asked Questions

If it's a d1, he can wire to 2 ohms to the pair, so each see's 1 ohm?

First you have to check of your amps can be strapped if they can you will want to know what is the lowest impedance the amp can go to....EX: 1 ohm per amp SO if you have 2 amps and each can handle 1 ohm your final load will need to be 2 ohms, each amp seeing 1ohm. Now as for wiring you will connect the ( - ) of both amps together and the take the ( + ) from one amp to your speaker and the ( + ) from the other amp to the remaining lead

If im correct you will be actually seeing a 4 ohm load, usually when strapping you go up in ohms and not down.

Read this link:

Yeah I noticed that after I read it again, fixed. Just woke up from a nap reading > me.

Read this link:

First you have to check of your amps can be strapped if they can you will want to know what is the lowest impedance the amp can go to....EX: 1 ohm per amp SO if you have 2 amps and each can handle 1 ohm your final load will need to be 2 ohms, each amp seeing 1ohm. Now as for wiring you will connect the ( - ) of both amps together and the take the ( + ) from one amp to your speaker and the ( + ) from the other amp to the remaining lead

This is pretty much what I was gonna say when I found out what amps you had. Wire the negatives of each amp together. Then your "master" amp would be your positive, and the "slave" your negative amp. Meaning that the positive on the master amp would be your positive output, and the positive on the slave amp would be your negative output.

Read this link:

Yeah I noticed that after I read it again, fixed. Just woke up from a nap reading > me.

It happens, I know you probably know a good deal more than I do. That's why the ? was there lol.

Edited by rmzsuzuki89

Read this link:

It happens, I know you probably know a good deal more than I do. That's why the ? was there lol.

I doubt it on the knowing more but that is why were all here to catch each other slipping. How are your build logs coming along, havent seen an update in a minute?

To the OP yeah it will also depend on your amps as well if they can be strapped like said earlier so make sure you have amps that can be strapped unless this was a general question.

Read this link:

I doubt it on the knowing more but that is why were all here to catch each other slipping. How are your build logs coming along, havent seen an update in a minute?

To the OP yeah it will also depend on your amps as well if they can be strapped like said earlier so make sure you have amps that can be strapped unless this was a general question.

Just waiting for some funds to get two more amps, some more 1/0 and batteries. I can't wait to get it started, definitely gonna be a fun build...The two 10"s are in my gf's car and doing well, just want to find some better subs to throw in.

Thanks guys. I am now a little smarter.

I don't have the amps or the sub at the moment. It's just a theoretical question to help me with planning my system. I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do. I was just considering going with one dual 1 ohm sub so I can get maximum power from the amplifiers and still be able to upgrade to a second woofer while maintaining the ability to run at 1 ohm.

if u have 2 amps that are not made to be strapped, you can purchase a Maxxlink and let it do it for you.

Basically from what i've seen, the Maxxlink controls the signal processing to allow amps to be strapped just like any other strappable amp.

The speaker wire combination remains the same, just the rcas are processed through the Maxxlink.

I suggest reading the manual to the Maxxlink so you can understand. Read it again if u have to until u understand it.

If you want to strap 2 amps that are dual channel Class D amps, the speaker wire configuration must be configured into a single output per amp before strapping...

What does that mean?

When strapping, you connect all - terminals from both amps together...

Usually, the master amp handles the + connection and slave amp handles the - connection.

So a dual channel class d amp, you need to bridge BOTH amps making them single output per amp.

Then run single negative wire connection to\from both amps, leaving one + on each amp, one for + and the other(slave amp) for -.

Just remember this-

For every pair of amps that get strapped, the minimum recommended wire load doubles.

So, for example-

1 ohm stable per amp = 2ohm strapped.

2 ohm stable per amp = 4ohm strapped.

4 ohm stable per amp = 8ohm strapped.

Thanks guys. I am now a little smarter.

I don't have the amps or the sub at the moment. It's just a theoretical question to help me with planning my system. I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do. I was just considering going with one dual 1 ohm sub so I can get maximum power from the amplifiers and still be able to upgrade to a second woofer while maintaining the ability to run at 1 ohm.

Why not just get one big amp? What subs are you planning on getting, or what power do you need?