REVpuggie

Looking for a good component set

Hi all ,

so I've been looking around for component sets ,

My goals are , more than decent sounding , and get reasonably loud for those moments I want to sing along and not wanting being able to hear myself (cause my singing isnt all that) .

want my EQ'ing to as straight forward as possible so a 2-way will be for me , no intention entering comps but I've got high standards for my own .

kicks will find their place high in in the doors and the tweets in a-pillar pods , highs freferably on-axis or close to it .

amplification will be a good 200watts @4ohms per kickdriver and 90watts per tweeter by 2 seperate amps

as for sound I'm looking for what everyone wants , smooth laid-back highs/highmid and tight,clear energetic lowmid/kick

I've been looking at the seas/lotus reference line , dynaudio esotec and the CDT eurosport 620 ,but I can't seem to find shops where I could listen to eighter of those

I'm open to all suggestios and hybrid combinations , looking to buy second hand or budget up to 600 USdollar

thoughts and suggestions are welcome

thanx .

Are you looking at amplifying the mids and tweets with a seperate amp? If so you may wanna look at going active. A passive comp set will only require 1 amp!

sorry bout that , yes I'm going active , thought that was obvious/clear .

sorry bout that , yes I'm going active , thought that was obvious/clear .

Just wasn't sure...trink40.gif

What size can fit in the door?

Look at the MLI65 from Mach 5 Audio ....

MLI-65 [MLI-65] - $27.00 : Mach 5 Audio

Check out Madisound for tweeters ....

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_245_313&products_id=1466

LPG 25NFA 1" Textile Dome neodymium magnet Tweeter from Madisound

Vifa D26NC05 1" Textile Dome Autosound Tweeter from Madisound

So, you're looking for separate speakers, on specific amps.

Do you want midbass, midrange and tweeters, or juste a mid and a tweeter?

2 way or 3 way ?

Difficult to help you : we don't what kind of speakers you like, which ones you don't like and why.

That could help a lot!

Ask M5 for advices, but do it right if you want helpful answers !

How large of a woofer can you fit? How large of a tweeter can you fit (ie large format okay?)?

What processing will you have?

kick/mid , I'd say 8inch max , tweeter/mid up to 3inch maybe 4 could work not sure though, I'll make anything fit if needed .

T/A , level and x-over on HU and/or amps , no external processor

(pioneer deh-p88rs2)

only real requirement I have is that it's 2-way ... I've been thinking about a dedicated kick + small wideband tweet/mid idialy x-ing on 200hz or so ... havent found a real option yet , planning to mount the kick/mid fairly high up so that might not even be necesary

I've listened an worked on some systems , all were 7channel setups , morel elate , hertz HSK and soforth , listend to a bunch too , best thing I ever heared was a dynaudio 3way setup on genesis DM amps ... never really did anything with 2-way setups

Can I assume that the 88 is our 880? I couldn't find crossover specs for your headunit.

Are your "tweets" on axis or off and if they are off how far off axis?

A-pillars are yet to be made , you're right about the pioneer .

I assume those sets i've been looking at are not your choise of sets ?

edit : I've been working on many other peoples installs for more than 3 years ... I pretty much have to start from scratch ....again

Edited by BASSmaster

I cannot give my opinion on either 3 sets. Since I have no exprience with them.

Dynaudio has always been on my wishlist.

Seas/Lotus look to be of very good quality and CDT all I have heard was the "Classic Series" and they are so, so imo.

I had hoped on a little more feedback , I apriciate oldschools and M5's input allthough it has not yet really helped .Am I lacking in providing info in any way ?

wondering what drivers M5 has got up his sleeve !

are the rest of us (10.000+ members) only focussing on the sub-stage ?

Each of us individuals will differ from what sounds good from one to the other. To help decide or get an idea of what you think you might like when you're not able to listen to them then go here: zaph audio

Once you find a combo you might like then look up any reviews on them.

More information would be great. For instance a response to my axis question. I realize that they aren't made yet, but I don't know the limitations.

As for the "sets", it NEVER makes sense to buy a set when you are going to run active. I realize exceptions can be the rule, but you really should pick your drivers based on your listening needs and your mounting locations (since processing is already decided...)

tweeterpods will be made on "ear height" full on-axis ,mids will be mounted aprox 40cm (15 inch) to center below that at the same distance aprox 30degrees off-axis on the leftside and very near to on-axis on the right side

as for limitations ,no problem mounting big faceplate tweeters , I can't (wont) cut up my dashboard , for a good reason : its a one piece dash and I have to move my engine (take out) to get to the bolts its mounted with .

dont think the build will be a problem , just a series of challanges

I know I dont need any kind of passive equalisation therefore dont need to buy them ....

I'll post up a drawing shortly to remove all doubt .

I was off by an inch but yes I can make that work .I've made more difficult things

this is about the way it ought to be , maybe I can get an inch here and there to align a little better butt this is pretty much how it will be.

Foto-CGFDZZUE-D.jpg

thanx .

If I were you and I could get a full ranger on axis, I'd do a 2 way with an 8" midbass and a 3" full range driver. Sure you lose a little top end, but hey its in a car and I'd make the trade to have most of the frequencies coming from a single driver. I wouldn't hesitate to not run a tweet. What are your thoughts on that?

If I were you and I could get a full ranger on axis, I'd do a 2 way with an 8" midbass and a 3" full range driver. Sure you lose a little top end, but hey its in a car and I'd make the trade to have most of the frequencies coming from a single driver. I wouldn't hesitate to not run a tweet. What are your thoughts on that?

read a few posts of mine back . I'll give finding a suitable driver another shot geussing 18khz would be enough .

thanx .

Take a peak at a few of these:

Fostex FF85, Fountek FR88, TangBand W3, or the Vifa TG9

I enjoy the Fostex enough that my office is going to get a set of full range monitors for my computer. :)

I'd pick the top end first and perhaps even install it. Just really want to insure that you get a mid that will blend with it, usually the better a drivers midbass the less the extended midrange.

Well , I made my choice .

first one to be tested is going to be the tangband W3-1401sd .

lets hope it will perform good enough in the top end .. if it doesnt work out I'd might try the Markaudio allpair6 gold round or the Tangband W3-1231SN

Edited by BASSmaster

turns out the ones I want aren't in stock ...then the waiting game began ,

... posted some other stuff in a topic here:

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/Guys-Pandas-t36748.html&p=629281&fromsearch=1#entry629281

not my own car but hey , gotta keep busy !

I'll email the guy where my 3" are !and will get back to ya

Edited by BASSmaster

im sure you'll love the fullrange and big midbasses. i know i do! good to see someone else playing around with this setup.

Looking forward to more updates on your progress!