kryptonitewhite

4 Fi Audio IB3 18's walled off 15Hz tune in a VAN BUILD LOG

Wow man looks pretty crazy so far!!!! Some great fab skills you have also! And the twin towers, i would most certainly be killed if i even thought about putting those in my house!!! Congrats on that!! That cop didnt seem to bad, nothing out of the ordinary. But i hope you were able to get those fixed and done with. Well man i look forward to seeing more!! Should be a great build!!

Thanks man! hehehe, WAF? I don't have to worry about that.. had 4 different gfs help with the builds :D That cop was sweet as pie when he came back cuz he saw me taking pics of him when he went back to his car and put his reading glasses on. He was being pushy and trying to grill me when he first approached no matter how kind and courtious I was trying to be. In the vid you can see he never looks at the camera, never noticed it...cuz he knew it was there before he even came back :) but I didnt put it up as incriminating, just cuz it was interesting :) that vid gets 4X the hits all my HT tower vids get! lol

thank you again!

so I have a problem. I spray painted the 1st side's windows black so it just looks like dark tint. but I didn't spray paint the other side. Good thing. For the 1st few days it looked pretty cool... all the different layers of foam that all looked cured a different way.

Today, I can see it all collapsed!

so here you can see the outside edges where the foam was exposed to air turned out, you can also see I did some touching up this morning..some fresh foam in a few places, a few more cans hanging...but over all, very well

CIMG0783.jpg

CIMG0784.jpg

CIMG0785.jpg

some patch work

CIMG0786.jpg

CIMG0787.jpg

CIMG0792.jpg

see the dark yellow? thats old foam not yet cured... as I peel the duct tape away, foam not yet exposed to air is all gooey and starts to run and bubble when it gets air, so I try to press the tape back and let it cure more now that it has more air

CIMG0793.jpg

CIMG0794.jpg

AND THE FAILURE. COLLAPSED. no air? now what do I do?

CIMG0795.jpg

CIMG0796.jpg

CIMG0797.jpg

CIMG0798.jpg

CIMG0799.jpg

CIMG0800.jpg

CIMG0801.jpg

CIMG0802.jpg

the glass makes for terrible reflection I know...sorry

CIMG0803.jpg

CIMG0804.jpg

CIMG0805.jpg

CIMG0806.jpg

Have you ever tried using the 2 part expanding foam that has an A and B you mix together? That stuff cures much more evenly and doesn't require air since it's a chemical reaction. It can also be used for doing speaker pods. It allows you to shape the foam then cover it with fiberglass. It's just so much easier to work with then doing the wood and bondo method.

Here is a link to a truck I did that I used some 2 part foam on the door pods. Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

F150 Lightning build up. - SSA Car Audio Forum

Your off to a good start. Just figured I'd share whats worked for me to save time and labor.

Have you ever tried using the 2 part expanding foam that has an A and B you mix together? That stuff cures much more evenly and doesn't require air since it's a chemical reaction. It can also be used for doing speaker pods. It allows you to shape the foam then cover it with fiberglass. It's just so much easier to work with then doing the wood and bondo method.

Here is a link to a truck I did that I used some 2 part foam on the door pods. Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

F150 Lightning build up. - SSA Car Audio Forum

Your off to a good start. Just figured I'd share whats worked for me to save time and labor.

wow thats an impressive build! cudos man.

I thought about and priced up foam on my last build, but I just never got to ordering any. My reasoning back then was just I got tired of nopt knowing how much great stuff I'd need and running back to get more over and over again.

Where did you get yours?

Man you do nice work!

Picture010-1.jpg

That's pretty terrible speaker placement, honestly.

What's the point of all of the foam?

I thought about and priced up foam on my last build, but I just never got to ordering any. My reasoning back then was just I got tired of nopt knowing how much great stuff I'd need and running back to get more over and over again.

Where did you get yours?

Man you do nice work!

Thanks man. I'm lucky and have a fiberglass/composite supply shop 2 blocks away from me. I really like the stuff. It sets in a matter of minutes and is very solid yet easy to trim and sand. It is pricey though.

Here is a random link I found for referance

Urethane Foam , Expanding Marine Polyurethane Foam

Where did you get yours?

Man you do nice work!

Thanks man. I'm lucky and have a fiberglass/composite supply shop 2 blocks away from me. I really like the stuff. It sets in a matter of minutes and is very solid yet easy to trim and sand. It is pricey though.

Here is a random link I found for referance

Urethane Foam , Expanding Marine Polyurethane Foam

I guess the main reason i never got into it was you need to mix it, then how do i get it inside? I'm sure I could get giant syringes and tubes...but that won't take long to gum up!

Kicker is fixing 2 of my 4channels for $115!

KX200.2 used to blow fuses immidiately. someone started repair, now green light but no sound

KX850.4 crossover on 1 channel doesn't function properly

This build is looking awesome. I was thinking of doing some very similar things with an Astro. Good luck and keep the progress/pics coming.

This build is looking awesome. I was thinking of doing some very similar things with an Astro. Good luck and keep the progress/pics coming.

i like the idea for the front stage. It looks sweet. Im tuned in for the rest of this build :drink40:

Thanks guys! Im at a stand still though, expanding foam

Screw the foam! Finish now!! HAHA!! Just playin man! I hope you can figure it out and get it fixed!! So is there room left in there now, where you could put more? Or are you just gonna give the cure process some more time?

i like the idea for the front stage.

Don't.

Don't.

i just think it looked cool, its different but im never going to anything quite as exotic as that...or anywhere near that actually

This build log has really got my attention, and I think you are doing a great job from what I can see, but the problem is I can't see much! It may be just me, but there are like three pages of "bandwith exceeded" photobucket warning things.

Either way, good luck, and I hope I can at least see the finished pics.... :drink40:

Don't.

i just think it looked cool, its different but im never going to anything quite as exotic as that...or anywhere near that actually

Looks cool, poor acoustical design.

Don't.

Looks cool, poor acoustical design.

yeah im just putting mine in my doors for now. Someday ill make some door pods but that will be the farthest i will go

Screw the foam! Finish now!! HAHA!! Just playin man! I hope you can figure it out and get it fixed!! So is there room left in there now, where you could put more? Or are you just gonna give the cure process some more time?

your answer below, and thank you very much for the inspiration!

Don't.

thank you for the kind words.. and that IS NOT BEING DONE THOSE PICS ARE 4 YEARS OLD

it says that, it says doing something similar to what I did years ago. and then theres more pics of where the new build is going to be

This build log has really got my attention, and I think you are doing a great job from what I can see, but the problem is I can't see much! It may be just me, but there are like three pages of "bandwith exceeded" photobucket warning things.

Either way, good luck, and I hope I can at least see the finished pics.... :drink40:

thanks man! I created a new photobucket account last week cuz I ran out of bandwidth, and that has never happened to me before! I just made another one today LOL!

so, the foam did cure, it did collapse so to speak...more like it left giant voids. But it also left a huge skeleton structure... it looks like an under ground tunnel labrynth by moles and the like. Some of it is very concentrated and sturdy looking. I think this is a blessing in disguise.

I'm just gonna drill and fill.

CIMG0826.jpg

CIMG0827.jpg

CIMG0829.jpg

CIMG0831.jpg

CIMG0836.jpg

CIMG0837.jpg

CIMG0841.jpg

CIMG0842.jpg

CIMG0844.jpg

Cool man!!! Glad it worked out, for the most part, not how you wanted but you can work with it now! Did you ever post how you were thinking of doing the sub design? Any kind of sketch design?

Cool man!!! Glad it worked out, for the most part, not how you wanted but you can work with it now! Did you ever post how you were thinking of doing the sub design? Any kind of sketch design?

just a wall as big as possible... looking to be about 100 cubic feet give or take 20 for now... probably a 20" sonotube port about 50" long... about a 13Hz-15Hz tuning

Oh ok, i thought you were talking about doing a 2 chamber setup, thats why i was asking.