master_jbb3

amp trouble with my sae 1200 :-(

Ok I've been having trouble with my amp shutting off and on when I would have a song with deep bass or I would turn my bass remote up with a song with less bass. I knew it was an electrical issue with my battery so I got it recharged when the system wouldn't come on (This was after about 8 months of play). My system played fine no problem after the battery was charged. So I got in the next day and b4 i could turn my radio up (The radio was only at 6 at the time) the bass came on and then it cut off and never came on. So I checked the amp to see if the red protection light was on. It wasn't only the green light was on. So I figured it was the battery again but I question that theory because I had the system going for a while before I had to get the battery charged and now all of a sudden after one day of play with a recharged battery it wouldn't work.

I took it to a shop and explained it to them and they checked everything. So the guy hooked up my amp and the red light came on when he tested it and he was like thats the problem its in protection. I told him that the light was never on when I checked it before I came; I was like wtf. So I hooked it back up in my car when I left and the protection light wasn't on like I had said. I was kinda skeptical of them saying that because they said the same thing about my sister oldschool autotek mean machine amp she took to them and basically got her to buy a cheap boss amp from them. Plus the fact that when the guys at the shop seen I had a sundown amp and a fi subwoofer they was like why you didn't purchase a known brand and I was giving them a insight on how good fi and sundown was.

So my question after all that is does it sound like my amp is really in protection mode. Only reason I'm questioning it is the light doesn't come on while it's hooked up in my car but it did when they tested it in the shop. Even after the shop and I hooked it back up still no protection light.

Thanks in advance to whom ever helps

what are you wired at, what car is it, stock electrical i take it also? is the amp warm after it shuts off?

Troubleshoot front to back, trace all your wires to the amp and make sure nothing is pinched, loose or shorting against any metal.

is the amp a v1 or v2 model, did you contact Jacob yet (that would of been my first step)?

what are you wired at, what car is it, stock electrical i take it also? is the amp warm after it shuts off?

had it running at 1ohm, 2003 civic ex, yep stock electrical was about to do big3 the day I took it to the shop but after he told me that I was kinda bummed about it, It was slightly warm which was after about 10-15 minutes of play but before I got the battery recharged it was shutting off before it would even get the chance to warm up (like get in the car, turn the radio up and it would shut off for about 5 seconds and come back on)

is the amp a v1 or v2 model, did you contact Jacob yet (that would of been my first step)?

it's a v1

Troubleshoot front to back, trace all your wires to the amp and make sure nothing is pinched, loose or shorting against any metal.

ok I'll try this tomorrow; I'm off work tomorrow so I'll have the free time

You should do the Big 3 regardless if amp is working or not, need it now and will need it in the future. Sounds like a power problem, grounding problem, ohm load problem or amp problem. Since you said it is wired at 1 ohm it is not a ohm load problem, your battery may be shot if you need to keep recharging it (get your battery checked and alternator as well).

first contact Jacob about this see what he says! get a dmm and MONITOR the input voltage to the amp. make sure to keep it at 12volts~

also have you done the big 3 upgrade yet? do you have a secondary battery in the trunk...do you have 1/0 going into the sae1200 *v1 i assume...

it's a v1

Supposedly these v1 were having issues, so I would check all my wires and send Jacob and email also (sundownz@sundownaudio.com).

umm the v1 i remember not to long ago on here some guy had a blown diode in his v1 and he send it into jacob and BAM like that fixed up and upgraded to a v2 lol!

when something goes wrong with an amp jacob is the man for helping ppl out! he is even know to help out ppl who do somethign dumb on accident lol!

umm the v1 i remember not to long ago on here some guy had a blown diode in his v1 and he send it into jacob and BAM like that fixed up and upgraded to a v2 lol!

when something goes wrong with an amp jacob is the man for helping ppl out! he is even know to help out ppl who do somethign dumb on accident lol!

ok I'm about to shoot an email to him before I have to get ready for work. Thanks all that helped; hopefully the issue can be found soon so I don't have to stress it anymore. I'll keep you guys posted on it just in case someone's able to pinpoint the problem

also another thing I forgot to add was after I got my battery recharged and my system stopped playin, I was at work on break with just the radio goin on about 15 or 16 vol maybe a week or 2 later and all of a sudden my system just came on randomly and started playing for about 3 minutes then it shut off again and went back to not playing.

also another thing I forgot to add was after I got my battery recharged and my system stopped playin, I was at work on break with just the radio goin on about 15 or 16 vol maybe a week or 2 later and all of a sudden my system just came on randomly and started playing for about 3 minutes then it shut off again and went back to not playing.

It really sounds like either a wiring issue or an amp issue but Im leaning more towards the amp.

Ok guys as I was telling jacob on my way to work yesterday my system was playing to my surprise, and it played the whole 30min trip to work. Then on my break it played, but on the way home when I got off I had no bass again. I'mma check over my electrical first then if it's not solved I'm going to send it to you jacob. Now I just gotta find where I put my warrenty paper :(

Now I just gotta find where I put my warrenty paper sad.gif

You can use your PayPal transaction record as well if you need to. I think Jacob will honor that.

Now I just gotta find where I put my warrenty paper sad.gif

You can use your PayPal transaction record as well if you need to. I think Jacob will honor that.

lol wow thats a good Idea I didn't even think of that :lol:

bummer man, can you just replace that part and resolder it on? Is it a fuse block?

bummer man, can you just replace that part and resolder it on? Is it a fuse block?

No there are two mosfets under there.

Well at least you did not have a cap explode and some resistors burn up like I did...........my trunk still has the smell of burnt electrical components, after three weeks.