XTRMEASURES

basket ideas

im looking for some idea's on what would be the best type of basket.

what is the main job of a sub basket besides holding the sub together.

give me the flaws of basket designs and what would you do/need to fix them.

im looking just for the perfect basket design, so all you guys that know the ins and outs of a sub please reply with your comments...

thanks

jamie

well part of it is that it needs to be able to vent through the basket so you cant have a soild thing of metal due to the fact the vc has to breath and get cool air from the spider etc. So basicly you need a bunch of thin spokes for your best design...anything that will get air where it needs to be is best though. Like take the brahma mk1 vs brahma mk2....mk1 is 4 spoke and mk2 is 12 spoke, mk2 stays cooler and can handle more power safer. :slayer:

im looking just for the perfect basket design, so all you guys that know the ins and outs of a sub please reply with your comments...

thanks

jamie

you making subwoofers? :ph34r:

It is hard to just throw a basket out there and call it the best. Differant baskets will work well for differant applications. As far as a huge throw high powered driver, the 12 spoke is great. For medium powered and stroked drivers the Venezualen 4 spoke is great.

In fact, the 4 spoke was great on the MKI Brahma. Unfortunately, the basket limited excursion due to spider/cone/tinsel collision in severe stroke playing. But this was only really evident on the 12, as the 10 had lower roll spiders and the 15s had more cone/spider clearance because of the basket depth. But I threw 1700 watts to mine in ported and sealed apps alike, with no heat issues at all. There is no doubt the 12 spoke is better for the driver overall because of the additional throw and the additional cooling. Thermal BL compression is reduced, but not vastly. But just because it is a better fit for 1 driver doesn't mean it is for another.

Too deep a basket means a longer former, which to me is not a good thing. I'm willing to bet ED's choice on the Ven 4 spoke basket for the As was for that reason exactly. They had used the 12 spoke with the old cone design drivers, but the new piston drivers reverted to the Ven 4 spoke. IMHO, it was likely the best choice for the application.

Blah, blah, blah. I go rambleing again... bottom line is, it really depends on what the driver in question is all about. Figure the design goals and a starting point, and build around it. Build it smart, not big.

What is it for? Structural integrity. Motor alignment. Motor support. Mounting. in some instances cooling.

Think of how often it gets slammed around, the varying temps, the constant beating with the weight of the motor on there.

It is more than just a basket, it is the skeleton. The human skeleton is often overlooked as uniportant too, but the average footfall of a 150 pound human exerts over 2 tons of stress on the bones and joints in the leg. Never overlook the seemingly simple things, they are usually the most important to the integrity of the final product ;)

then what do you guys think of the Orion H2 basket?

its a POS imo lol. The only reason it is like how it is, is that they needed a basket that would hole the ENTIRE thing tight while they charged the magnet cuz DEI does not know how to use XBL^2.

Aside from a side view picture of it I have no idea :unsure: .

I've never actually had my hands on one. It looks awful bulky, looks like a big heat trap too. But as I say, I have never seen any close shots, or anything other than a side view, and I haven't been up close and personal with it. Even their site does a poor job of portraying the basket.

Often times just a pic cannot display all the facts.

But it is ugly :blink:

And, AV man, you got some solid hate for Orion don't you? Wanna share why so much hostility? Orion and DEI make some great products. I am investigating a DEI 2500D to power up a pair of B12s actually.

crap I did not mean to stir up some stuff here,I was just mentioning it because it was one of the more different ones out there, because the old HCCA's were 4 spoker's :huh:

crap I did not mean to stir up some stuff here,I was just mentioning it because it was one of the more different ones out there, because the old HCCA's were 4 spoker's :huh:

Stir up crap? Nah, you wanted an answer, and the only way to get one is to ask a question ;)

the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked

I love that, as it is the truth.

Aside from a side view picture of it I have no idea :unsure: .

I've never actually had my hands on one. It looks awful bulky, looks like a big heat trap too. But as I say, I have never seen any close shots, or anything other than a side view, and I haven't been up close and personal with it. Even their site does a poor job of portraying the basket.

Often times just a pic cannot display all the facts.

But it is ugly :blink:

And, AV man, you got some solid hate for Orion don't you? Wanna share why so much hostility? Orion and DEI make some great products. I am investigating a DEI 2500D to power up a pair of B12s actually.

lol yeah...i came across wrong. I dont HATE the h2. I hate DEI for what they have done to PPI, Orion, and even viper and cliford. These companies were beter off before DEI started making them all use the same parts and stuff.

as far as I know the Viper amps were un touched, I am so pissed I did not grab on that deal on Sounddomain :thud:

ok guys lets keep this on topic, i didnt ask about what company did what to another company. LOL j/k :finger:

yea the buy of ORION and the other companys that DEI bought has its good and bad sides.

sandt38 your right on the money about the basket being the heart and soul of a sub, its what keeps everything together. id like to hear more of your ideas about the baskets and such. please email me with ideas and your thoughts on what a basket needs and dont. thanks

jamie

thanks

jamie

SHHHH dont let the cat out the bag just yet. LOL

im throwing the idea around, i have a machinest talking to his drafting guy whos talking to his engineer about the idea. but as of yet its just ideas.

im going to start with something simple and see how much it cost first. then go from there and MAYBE just MAYBE start biulding subs or just supply baskets to sub companys.

wish me luck

jamie

sandt38 your right on the money about the basket being the heart and soul of a sub, its what keeps everything together. id like to hear more of your ideas about the baskets and such. please email me with ideas and your thoughts on what a basket needs and dont. thanks

jamie

YGM. Please note the address I sent in the mail for future contact. It will make communications easier and quicker ;) .

thanks

jamie

im throwing the idea around, i have a machinest talking to his drafting guy whos talking to his engineer about the idea. but as of yet its just ideas.

im going to start with something simple and see how much it cost first. then go from there and MAYBE just MAYBE start biulding subs or just supply baskets to sub companys.

wish me luck

jamie

Do you work at eD? I see you have components by eD and they aren't even selling them yet.

thanks

jamie

wish me luck

jamie

Do you work at eD? I see you have components by eD and they aren't even selling them yet.

no i dont work at ED (i wish i did)

and i dont have them YET but as soon as they are out im getting them.....

but as you can see above all that i have UNDER CONSTRUTION ;)

jamie

Well one of the things I always noticed on high excursion drives is the lack of lateral stabuility at long throw. The problem is that the spider only holds the former in place at either one place or two places really close together. Why not have a spider in the standard position and one at the end of the former? Then you could make a sub put out as much travel as the spider would allow without cone walk. Hold a broom with one hand and see how well you can hold it still. now hold it in the middle and at the end and you have a much stronger hold. Same concept. Sure it would make the former longer but not that much. It could be done similar to placing another basket upside down where the pole peice usually is.

Like this

spider|former|spider

| |

| |

Magnet Magnet

| |

| |

spider| |spider

The dual spider design similar to that has been tried. Unfortunately the difficulty in the motor design made the driver a short run. We need to allow for spider travel within the motor with this design. Now we are facing 3 additional points of failure (glue joint at the former, glue joint on the outside of the spider within the motor, and the extra spider), and the elimination of any possibility of a typical recone should failure occur.

With the typical location of a spider we rarely see issues with lateral controll, unless a buildhouse error occured, even amoung extreme excursion drivers.

I don't see how it would make it more difficult to rebuild. The way I see it this would make it easier. I didn't know how well the cone walk problem had been dealt with. The old Ti drivers and GZ Plats would walk all over the place. I also have a neat idea for a surround that would allow much more cone area and still have high excursion. You want me to email it to you?

474691_36.jpg

this is one of the basket designs i worked with... also notice the unique magnet housing... replacable mags

and yes its patent pending so dont replicate! but the basket design is all yours if you want... i dont think you would though thats not my final bakset design