Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Clinton

Dcon review

Posted up on DIYma:

After a few weeks, there's not much I can say other than this is the best sub I've ever owned. It's simply amazingly accurate. It's perfect for the setup I had envisioned for my car: single amp driving passives up front and sub with the rear channel. Small sub box, moderate power requirements. I bought the single 4-ohm version, which gets fed a healthy 400 watts from my Exile amp. Low-pass is around 90Hz, higher than I want, but my Alpine mids are the limiting factor right now.

These days I mostly listen to electronica, but I've had the Focal CD's downloaded for some time now. I finally got them burned to CD, and thought what the hell, it's been a while since I've listened to music recorded with real instruments.

This is almost as much a review of the Focal CD's as it is the DCON. Both are nothing shy of amazing. I'm on Disc 5 now, I believe, and I have run the gamut from shit-eating grin to laughing hysterically at how good it all sounds.

I can't pick any one song, or even a few... so many songs on that compilation are just incredible to listen to. Such wonderful recording quality, and some crazily good bass notes. I keep telling myself, "THIS is why I spend the money!!!"

But the bass... damn that is some sweet bass. I haven't owned very many subs, and up until I bought a pair of JL 10W6v2's I hadn't really ever owned what I'd consider a "quality" sub. But after having heard some good ones, I do understand the difference now. Hearing the accurate separation of tones in the bass frequencies is something that will never, ever get old for me. I literally cannot stop smiling sometimes.

Right now it's just a bit localized because of the high crossover point, but it's livable. I just can't get over how great it sounds.

The DCON is an unbelievable value, and I couldn't recommend it more, for a budget system that still demands quality sound. The only thing I need to do is move it to face rearward, but I need to get a wedge or something to put under the box since it doesn't have an angled back.

My final verdict: I need to grow an extra hand to give it three thumbs up!

Sweet review :fing34::fing34::fing34:

I'll be adding a review in a month or so ;)

Great review! Another happy DCON customer!

Still trying to get some stuff sold so I can pick up a 10". I'm actually scrounging around the house and garage looking for things to put up on Ebay and Craigslist. Pathetic I know, but I REALLY want one of these.

My girlfriend jus ordered one of these and I can't wait to install it for her!!!! She also bought the sundown125.2 to run it bridged

My girlfriend jus ordered one of these and I can't wait to install it for her!!!! She also bought the sundown125.2 to run it bridged

sounds like an awesome girl :P

Another happy ssa customer :D

my girl is just starting to get into audio stuff. After listening to my car for a while she cannot stand not having subs in her car, or the nice clear sound of component speakers. Cant wait to install stuff in her car

I need to put the final Dcon prototype in the wife's car eventually.

Me too! I put it in my truck and just can't seem to take it out! trink40.gif

Me too! I put it in my truck and just can't seem to take it out! trink40.gif

:jump:

Thanks Denim! I'll chime in, since I just noticed the copy-paste. :woot:

My car is my freedom. Since I live in an apartment I have to be respectful of my neighbors, which sucks! So when I'm out driving, I get to make up for being constrained at home, i.e. I get to turn the volume up.

I've always loved big speakers, and that's what I'll always have in my home. Multi-way towers with 12's or 15's is all I know. To that extent, you will have to pry my JBL CF150's out of my cold dead hands. And if I ever get rich, there's a set of Legacy Whispers out there with my name on them. ;) So, this being my first 100% DIY car system, some things were new to me. Like defining what "good bass" is. I told someone that it's funny how you can't really just listen to a sub by itself and tell much about it (unless it's really damn bad). It's how it plays with your music that gets your attention. I think that's why the DCON still amazes me every time I hit the road and crank it up. The low end sounds so natural. It's an incredible driver, and really is a steal for its price. I will not hesitate to tell anyone building a "budget" system to look into this because there really isn't much better bang for the buck when you consider MSRP. No doubt there are better subs, but they'll have to be on mad sale to match the DCON's value.

Thanks Denim! I'll chime in, since I just noticed the copy-paste. :woot:

My car is my freedom. Since I live in an apartment I have to be respectful of my neighbors, which sucks! So when I'm out driving, I get to make up for being constrained at home, i.e. I get to turn the volume up.

I've always loved big speakers, and that's what I'll always have in my home. Multi-way towers with 12's or 15's is all I know. To that extent, you will have to pry my JBL CF150's out of my cold dead hands. And if I ever get rich, there's a set of Legacy Whispers out there with my name on them. ;) So, this being my first 100% DIY car system, some things were new to me. Like defining what "good bass" is. I told someone that it's funny how you can't really just listen to a sub by itself and tell much about it (unless it's really damn bad). It's how it plays with your music that gets your attention. I think that's why the DCON still amazes me every time I hit the road and crank it up. The low end sounds so natural. It's an incredible driver, and really is a steal for its price. I will not hesitate to tell anyone building a "budget" system to look into this because there really isn't much better bang for the buck when you consider MSRP. No doubt there are better subs, but they'll have to be on mad sale to match the DCON's value.

Thank you for that. I'm still trying to get some of my stuff sold so I can pick up one of these. I'm getting antsy and my things aren't selling. :(

Will Dcons be good for HT sub? where should i tune it, 20 25hz?

Would be fine, tuning is all up to you and the response you want, but 20hz is probably lower then need be. :)

the guy who started this post is right.. i went and downloaded all the Focal demo disk.. 7 of them.. they all sound super good... i have the Focal 165 KRX2 and a Xcon, boy does these cd's sound good... song 15 on disk 7... double bass like no other, and it sounds so good ... never heard double bass in car audio that sounded like you were there !!!

the guy who started this post is right.. i went and downloaded all the Focal demo disk.. 7 of them.. they all sound super good... i have the Focal 165 KRX2 and a Xcon, boy does these cd's sound good... song 15 on disk 7... double bass like no other, and it sounds so good ... never heard double bass in car audio that sounded like you were there !!!

:drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40:

Try Pantera for double bass, download the 192kbs though.

Why 192kbps?

Get some vids of Dcons in sealed boxes playing tones 20-45hz. I still don't believe they get lower & louder than an Eclipse SW8200 that handles the lowlows with ease (LMS, 38mm x-max, 670W).

Edited by RE XXXv3

Higher quality than 128, double kicks can get muddy, I think 192 has better transitions or maybe it's just the timing. More information in a song means the sub will know exactly when to start & stop, which sounds like it can add to the SQ of a bunch of quick double kicks. Should get louder with less distortion. What's CD quality?

I look for 320kbps minimum or better yet would be FLAC, APE or WAV. Theseare the closest thing to CD quality without the original CD.

Get some vids of Dcons in sealed boxes playing tones 20-45hz. I still don't believe they get lower & louder than an Eclipse SW8200 that handles the lowlows with ease (LMS, 38mm x-max, 670W).

Nice apples to oranges comparison.

Zukini vs coconuts I still want to see it. I don't like hearing that my purpose built sub will get owned by a smaller one that's half the cost, what a great sub.

Zukini vs coconuts I still want to see it. I don't like hearing that my purpose built sub will get owned by a smaller one that's half the cost, what a great sub.

Show me specifically where someone said that about the Eclipse sub woofer? Both drivers you are talking about are purpose built, but their purpose is different. One is a long throw 3" coil driver, the other is a moderate throw 2" coil driver. Just on those specs alone, shows you they are very different sub woofers.