Slumpin

keep cracking mdf, what gives?

i just started building my first mdf box. im using 2 1/2 inch drywall screws and the proper drill bit. everytime i try to put them in, i split the wood. are these screws to long? not drilling fast enough or what? done it 4 times so far, and i dont want to keep wasting wood.

Sh it, probably not with those LONG ass screws. They're way too long and might be of a larger size. What does it say on the box?

Are you drilling the hole first then putting in the screws (sorry for not using proper jargan but I can't remember right now)

Wait....

are you even predrilling with a drill bit ( not a screw bit) ?

i'd say your screws are a bit long... use something thats 1.5" long or close. I used 1 5/8 drywall screws and they didn't split the wood at all. And remember to pre-drill with a bit just a little bit smaller than the screw itself. The glue holds the box together more than the screws themselves.

predrill with 1/8" bit, countersink with 1/2" countersink, screw with 1 5/8" drywall screws and you should be just fine

i ditched useing screws, i now use crown staples to build boxes. quick and easy. (gotta have air tho)

yes i drilled before i put the screws in, like i said the drill bit is the proper size. i guess i'll just have to go pick up some smaller screws tomorrow. thanks :slayer:

I dont use anything longer then 1.75" (#6 drywall) unless I'm using more then 1 layer of wood.

I dont use anything longer then 1.75" (#6 drywall) unless I'm using more then 1 layer of wood.

Hell, I still won't use anything longer if that's the case. I just lamintae one piece at a time.

You know what, I was thinking of broadside... not end joints. when multi layering, I have an interlocking method with the sheets, so I still use only the regular 1 5/8" on end. :blush:

i used 2 1/2" that i had lying around but i had to get a longer bit, normal dril bits wont reach 2 1/2"

back when we had a working air gun i would ise 1 1/4" brad nails :( it dies in the flood (storage cylender got full of water)

what kind of screws should i use for the subs?

Your avatar makes me cry....

because its to big?

Don't know, I use bolts :D

you can use the same drywall screws

Most manufacuers recccomend pan heads but it doesnt really mater as long as w/e you juse tosent let the sub loose :)