gadgeteer123

Is it possible to be killed by bass alone?

I'm sure this has been talked about in the past, I just spent 20 minutes digging on Google for it, but I couldn't find any real results. I would like to know if anyone in all of history has been killed by extreme bass caused by a sub woofer. And not a heart attack from the startle of the sudden bass but being killed by the vibration alone.

the pressure could kill u, but that is only at extremely high spl levels.

Like how high? 170db, 180db? and has it actually happened to someone because I couldnt find anything on google about it, I could find references to it but no actual story about it.

hey there, dumb thread but i will say that if you sit in the passenger seat of a 180db vehicle sealed tuned at 60-75hz burped for 10 seconds if you dont die, you will have severe brain damage a nuts headache and youll most likely be bleeding somewhere outta your head.

well no im guessing it has never happened b4 bc there is a shit ton of pressure inside of a extreme spl rig. and i dont know exactly what db would kill u but im guessing anything over a 175 should probably do it.

if those numbers are true. its crazy to think that one sub can do that to a person :)

ya, thank god my stereo is only one xcon, otherwise i'd probably kill myself lol. Theres a guy who lives in the town next to mine who has 2 12" solo-x's professionally installed, and his ears have already bleed twice and he is only 22. Some people are a little dumb...

i doubt his ears have actually bled, it takes a shit ton of work to pull of a number high enough to do that and im pretty sure 2 solo x's wont do it beings that i dont think anybody with solo x 18"s is doing higher than a 160.

well I was just told this, I never saw proof, but I thought it was crazy. :shrug:

Well bleeding from the ears has alot to do with the person themselves also. I have known people who have had there ears bleed, and they were only doing like a 140+, but they have had ear problems all there lives. And i dont know if someone would be dumb enough to sit in a vehicle that is doing a 170-180 for a more than just one burp! But hey people are stupid!! I know i sat in a vehicle that did a 170, straight SPL car, for like 2 secs and my chest almost caved in!!!

At 194 dB the sound wave becomes a shock wave, at that point you might as well sound next to TNT because you're gonna rupture something internally.

202-198 (P) HUMAN DEATH FROM SOUND (SHOCK) WAVE ALONE. DEATH FROM: SCHRAPNEL AT ANY LEVEL ABOVE 165 DB IS LIKELY AND BEING THROWN (10 FEET PER SECOND) ABOVE 180 DB

from http://www.makeitlouder.com/Decibel%20Level%20Chart.txt

I've sat in a truck that does 58's on music, almost hard to move and breathe.

hey dvalue, your post kinda scared me.

The highest i have been exposed to has been 2 15inch L7s, so that means if I get into the Tahoe someday, I will experience nausea and chest pain? lol

This would be something the mythbusters should do. that would be a good show to watch. the stuff they do is very fun to watch

well they have already tried shattering a car window with a sub, but the said it was busted, which we know a window can break from bass.

IT's not the actual pressure of the bass that breaks the glass. It's the vibration from the frame that cracks it.

You have to remember, automotive glass is extremely resilient within it's frame. Once removed, it's a different story. Same thing happens when the frame is distorted, vibrated, etc. . . Auto manufacturers did not design them for the rigors of extreme SPL.

Yea i did not like the MB's test! It had way to many variables! And plus the vehicle they had was a piece!!! And here was the part for glass on the chart that was posted,

"163 (P)GLASSBREAKING LEVEL, MINIMUM, IT IS VERY HARD TO BREAK GLASS WINDOWS.

MANY STORIES COME FROM BREAKING GLASS BUT IT IS HIGHLY VARIABLE: IT IS

EASIER TO BREAK IF THE WINDOW ALREADY HAS A CRACK, IS VERY LARGE OR

OLD AND BRITTLE AND NOT CAR SAFETY GLASS WHICH CAN FLEX MASSIVELY

BEFORE BREAKING. AN OPERA SINGER AT 110 DB MAY BREAK A WINEGLASS BUT IT IS AN

EXAMPLE OF FREQUENCY RESONANCE, AND NOT HIGH SOUND DB LEVEL"

It'd probably be possible to have a seizure from all the vibration and noise.. imagine if your driving on the highway and that happens..

OR!

You're sitting in your driveway and giving yourself a demo then you have a seizure and no one if there to help then your tongue blocks your windpipe..

:trippy:

It's a trachea :)

it doesnt matter if u have 1 sub, lol.

If you guys were keepin up with the A team, they just posted a 177 with a single 15 and less than 13,000w of actual power.

On their power chart, they also produced a 154.x with less than 40w clamped.

It is an extremely modded vehicle to be able to do that, i bet many of you can't do those numbers inside the box itself!

Anyways, different parts of the body have their own resonance.

If you wanna be a db assassin about it... resonance is what i'd be researching on different parts of the body and try to produce pressure on those notes.

What will happen the day we can reach earthquake levels LOL

And plus the vehicle they had was a piece!!!

A little work and I would love to drive that old MB as a daily beater.