onebadmonte

Term-lab Alternative

I'm all for measuring. The ear isn't quite cutting. There are many alternatives, believe me, I've used, tried and experimented with. Some of them are free, with save limitations. All of them are complicated with all sorts of calibration requirements and so-forth. Not to mention the mics and external sound cards add up quickly. I'd like something simple and fast. I dig the term-lab but the cost to play is serious. I came across this alternative .

It looks promising. I did a quick search here and saw it's been mentioned a couple of times here and there with no real follow up.

I'd like to hear the community's thoughts on something like this. If some one has one, please share your experience.

Looks a lot like TermLab. Someone needs to buy one. :)

I'm thinking about. Just hate to throw money away.

you could try to look out for a second hand termlab ...they don't come around very often and not planning ever getting rid of mine but worth a shot .

the russian system DOES resemble the termlab BTW .

Well I dropped them an e-mail just to see what they'd say. They responded promptly, and answered my questions. They even pushed their latest product. It seems they have their stuff together. The USB Bass meter seems pretty straight forward. It plugs directly into the pc. Open the software, which is included in a disc along with some test tone, and bam, your ready to measure. No calibrating required. Which is what I like about it.

I'm not keen on what sensor they are using for the USB Bass meter. They do mention a Panasonic mic capsule for their stand alone LCD Display bass meter. The last time I read about using one of these capsules to make your own measuring mic was for the measuring software HOLMImpulse. Which got me thinking. Another software you can use this capsule on is ARTA which is similar to HOLMImpulse. Funny thing is, all three come from the same part of the world, eastern Europe/Russia. I wonder if they are connected in any way?

Any who, coming back down to reality. All the mentioned programs are good at what they do, no doubt. My issue is one needs to know what they are doing. Especially when calibrating sound cards and measuring mic. Some thing I am not good at. Hence my search.

With easter coming up I am putting my search on pause for the weekend. I'll shoot off some more e-mails and see if I take the plunge. Post your thoughts, and lets see what we come up with.

Cheers

Well keep us posted and appreciate the information because everyone wants there own personal meter but dont want to buy the Term-lab. Hell I use my Epic-160 for now just to see if certain things I did somehow affected the score (I know it is not accurate). If they are legit then I wouldnt mind taking the plunge on one myself and by then hopefully someone will have tested it next to a term lab to see it's accuracy.

Vodka, nukes, and now SPL metering equipment.

Those Ruskies will stop at nothing for world domination ;)

I've been in contact with SPL-Labs. They offer this other product. It's their LCD Bass Meter. The USB Bass Meter and the LCD Bass Meter use the same sound pressure monitoring sensor as the Term-Lab. I'm kind of at odds of which to get. I have asked a few other questions in hopes of helping me make a decision. I figure since I'm going to be the guinea pig I might as well ask if there is any interest in the community for the LCD Bass Meter?

Just wanted to say I'm excited to see how this turns out :popcorn: If it goes well maybe I'll get one some time.

Just wanted to say I'm excited to see how this turns out :popcorn: If it goes well maybe I'll get one some time.

That looks sweet, you ought to check it out for the sake of letting the forum know how it performs.

I have decided to go with the LCD Bass Meter. For a few bucks more it give me the option of not having to drag out my laptop to meter my system.

Sometimes I'm only capable of seeing as far as my nose, so I'd like to here some suggestions as to what would everyone like to know and what to test. Don't be humble, share your thoughts.

Thanks for everyone to your input and support.

Cheers

Edited by onebadmonte

How much was this, $800?

Would be good to test it up against a termlab to compare readings.

How much was this, $800?

Would be good to test it up against a termlab to compare readings.

The LCD Bass Meter is $330 plus shipping on the SPL-Labs website.

If I can arrange some side by side testing with the term-lab I will.

Here is a link to SPL-Labs Youtube page. Clicky Linky

They have some side by side testing of all their products.

The use of a air compressor type device to test the pressure meters makes me raise an eyebrow. I'd like to see real world testing. Which, is what I'll be doing.

Yeah sounds good. $330 is a bargain if it's any good. I'm from the uk so about £200.

Is it plug and play?

Hope you post any results you get. I'm curious as well.

The LCD Bass Meter is a stand alone unit. You can plug it into a pc using the software that comes with it for a more detailed and visual reading.

The USB Bass meter is plug and play.

I am looking forward to getting this item. It seems my bad timing strikes again. My payment will not reach SPL-Labs before they close for a short time off. It seems they are a small operation / one man show. My item wont ship till later this month. It wont be till early next month before I post my review. Unless someone else has one and would like to chime in. Sorry guys. :(

I'm still open to testing suggestions.

We will wait :popcorn:

damn, I'd be really interested. Even used Tlabs are like 400+. If this is accurate enough, they may have a big boom in US buyers :D

i dont know who u have been talkin too but i have emailed them and this is the 4th day i've waited and still no answer to my inquiries.

They seem shady to me...

I'm glad i havent already done business with them because the DA wouldnt help me any, lol.

i dont know who u have been talkin too but i have emailed them and this is the 4th day i've waited and still no answer to my inquiries.

They seem shady to me...

I'm glad i havent already done business with them because the DA wouldnt help me any, lol.

Read his last post, he explains the reason for the lack of response on there end (seems like they are taking a break during this month for whatever reason).

yea i see... i guess i'll just go meditate til May.

yea i see... i guess i'll just go meditate til May.

LoL. I caught them right before they shut down for a small vacation. I've got about a week left before we resume communications. :) I relate this to those sci-fi space movies where the command station loses contact with the spaceship for a short period because a planet is orbiting between them. Hehe. I hoping to have this meter with time to spare for the South Texas Meet happening later in May. Not to worry, I'll have a review before then for all to read.

I'm still open to testing suggestions.

I cant wait till he receives his and gives his review on the product and the accuracy of its performance next to a TL meter, wouldnt mind having one of these in my possession.