antonmiller

Got my 12" BTL and My BOlts and Tee nuts, But the Bolts dont fit..

So i got my bolts and tee nuts today, and i go to test fit them into the sub and to my shock the bolt doesnt fit in the hole on the basket! now i dont know if this is a common problem or not. but im just not sure how to handle this as i dont want to buy new bolts. I also bought extra bolts and nuts for my buddies 3 18" BTL's will this be the same problem? I guess i should say the bolts are 1/4-20 Socket Head cap screws. i know i could drill the hole out. and it is what im going to do, but i guess im just wondering if anyone else ran into this issue? I will post pics in a minute, i just wanted to get this on here soon as i wish to install this today or tomorrow. kinda frustrated...

oh i guess i should reference wher ei heard to get this size bolts:

BTL on order, What size bolts? - SSA Car Audio Forum - Page 2

Since you dont feel like returning the bolts and getting the size you need then it looks like you may have to drill the screw hole in the subwoofer a little bigger.

I used this size bolt for my Q and it was a tight fit but it was able to fit. I basically had to screw it through the hole first (didnt feel like screwing it out).

pics. just curious if anyone else has had this issue? i will drill it out. any suggestions on type of drill to drill it? it is just an aluminum basket right? i know these are bad pics. But im not sure how you show that something doesnt fit. lol. i can tell its close to going through. just doesnt wanna go.

PIC_0067.jpg

PIC_0070.jpg

PIC_0073.jpg

PIC_0074.jpg

this one was just for a good pic of this thing. lol

PIC_0075.jpg

good looking sub man, i cant wait to get my btl 12 on tuesday!

use drywall screws until you get a chance to return those and get some smaller.

I would not drill my subs.

I think im going to try it, im going to buy a 1/4" steel bit and see what will happen on one hole only. but i dont think removing .010" of material will make a difference will it?

I think im going to try it, im going to buy a 1/4" steel bit and see what will happen on one hole only. but i dont think removing .010" of material will make a difference will it?

Perhaps not if you do it perfect. Don't muck up the surround in the process, make sure you collect ALL the metal filings, and be really careful.

Hell, what I am saying. I think its completely stupid. Just spend the .08 each and buy new bolts. Get threaded inserts instead of t-nuts as well while you are at it. Absolutely no need for anything so large. Sort of like running 8ga wire to your sub. Overkill for all the wrong reasons.

I would just buy what fits. You would take a chance to have problems with a sub like that just because you didn't buy the right bolts?

Come on man!

Get some cash, save some on ...whatever you want...but buy smaller bolts !!!

You will use those big bolts for something else later.

ok, well i went ahead and drilled out the holes, if i would even call it drilling them out. i dont even know if i took and aluminum off or not. my guess is there was some glue in each hole that prohibited the bolt from going through. but i drilled the out and this is how i did it:

DSCN5521.jpg

DSCN5522.jpg

DSCN5523.jpg

DSCN5527.jpg

DSCN5524.jpg

DSCN5529.jpg

DSCN5526.jpg

DSCN5530.jpg

DSCN5532.jpg

DSCN5534.jpg

thanks for the advice on making sure you cover everything up, i didnt even think of that.

Im about to go thru this same thing with my 18" btl.. I bought bolts and tnuts just like you did, ill probably end up doing the same thing you just did. looks like it worked just fine.

Great job and I knew drilling the holes out bigger wouldnt of caused any problems as long as you did it right :fing34:

clean job...but i got a question, what is the point of doing bolts and t nuts? is it stronger? harder for thieves to get out?

thanks

clean job...but i got a question, what is the point of doing bolts and t nuts? is it stronger? harder for thieves to get out?

thanks

I dont know about stronger but I do know if your gonna take your sub out a lot it will come in handy instead messing the wood up by taking the screws in and out continuously.

thanks

I dont know about stronger but I do know if your gonna take your sub out a lot it will come in handy instead messing the wood up by taking the screws in and out continuously.

i see, that's a good idea, something i should look into

A bolt and T-nut is much stronger than just a screw in MDF. If you want something hard to steal her allen head bolts or even better, torx head bolts.