gadgeteer123

12" spl subs for cheap??

This is for a friend of mine, he doesn't care about SQ that much, he just wants an ok sound that is extremely loud, so i'm basically looking for a cheap 12" spl subwoofer. He would like to keep it under $150 per sub. He wants it really loud, i'm talking 140db loud if possible, th cheapest sub that you guys think can hit that, he wants two 12" subs.

Well, cheap can be defined differently by everyone.. and dbs are install dependent

Some cheap 12s are:

BTL12 - Price: $ 364.00

BL12 - Price: $ 274.00

Didn't notice the price OP.

Also, it would help us to know what subs he listened too and wanted louder in comparison.

Good luck

P.S. If he's not competing 2 12inch Alpine Type R's sounded amazing for 250 a pair new (ebay)

Edited by BanginGMC

The sundwon SA 12's are 190 each in the SSA store.

But 2 type r 12's should have no problem hitting over 140db.(in the right box)

My suggestion would be type r's. Maybe throw 600 watts at each of them but be careful with the gain.

I hate the fact I never had my Type R's metered!! :suicide-santa:

BUT

If he does get the Alpine Type R's, give them 2-2.5 cbft for each driver.

get 2 kicker l7s u can find them on ebay for around 100-150 each. get about 800watts to each sub or more and u should be good with the right box

get 2 kicker l7s u can find them on ebay for around 100-150 each. get about 800watts to each sub or more and u should be good with the right box

Alpine > Kicker

Kicker > Alpine

fixed

The older Crunch ground pounders. They used to be around $110 shipped. I know two ground pounder 15's hit a 155 in an spl setup, with each sub getting over 3k a burp, If I recall correctly. If that isn't what you want then overpower the mess out of some L7 kickers.

Edited by mr.sagat

Kicker > Alpine

fixed

Alpine > Kicker :D;)

NOTE: From personal experience

Edited by BanginGMC

Kicker > Alpine

fixed

Judging by specs alone, type R's will not get as loud as L7's

The L7's have more cone area, are more sensitive and handle more watts. The type r's do have more xmax, but that isn't the deciding factor.

On another note, I'd like to say that I've ran L7 15's before and didn't think too highly of them, but I think mostly my install was the mistake, not the sub choice.

Kicker > Alpine

fixed

Judging by specs alone, type R's will not get as loud as L7's

The L7's have more cone area, are more sensitive and handle more watts. The type r's do have more xmax, but that isn't the deciding factor.

On another note, I'd like to say that I've ran L7 15's before and didn't think too highly of them, but I think mostly my install was the mistake, not the sub choice.

Trying to figure Alpine vs Kicker?

Every thread i go to seems to turn out like this one.

To me.. Kicker seems to produce ghetto dirty bass and response to music, dont get me wrong.. it does get loud but... Alpine seems to have cleaner bass and response to music and get loud doing so.

I am aware of the shitty terminology

Edited by BanginGMC

l7>type r

type x>l7

if i just wanted to get loud, i'd get the l7 over the type r anyday...

l7>type r

type x>l7

if i just wanted to get loud, i'd get the l7 over the type r anyday...

I have owned a type R and heard an L7. Both were in box to specs. The type r had good SQ and was still able to get loud. The L7 got louder but just did not sound as good. In my OP if you want output L7 is your choice. If you want to get good SQ and get decently loud go towards the type R.

well this guy just wants output, i like my sq, but he doesn't car, just as long as its loud, and doesnt sound like its a sub from the 80's

well this guy just wants output, i like my sq, but he doesn't car, just as long as its loud, and doesnt sound like its a sub from the 80's

Then the dirty L7 is his choise.. :suicide-santa:

EDIT: Show him this video -- Shook the shit out of everything.. i usually play volume at 24-26.

Edited by BanginGMC