RaTtLz

Question for competitors

Hi everyone, just had a question about competitions. Is there a general rule where you cant sit in your vehicle at a certain db level? I'm talking about hearing safety. I may want to carry that over into my daily driver practices.

There many many rules that go over these types of safety requirements. Because there are so many different leagues to compete in they all have their on rules. In mine if you are competing and sitting in your vehicle they require protection no matter how you are. I know in Meca at one point if you were over 149.9 db you were not allowed to be in your car or you would get Disqualified.....Search for Meca's Rules, Iasca, and the one I compete in is FCBC. I typically would not go over 140db for long periods of time with out hearing protection.

I've seen people setting in their vehicles at 150 db + ... some wearing earmufs ... also seen some with a head unit set up outside the vehicle (remote) ...

Don't know of any rules for USACI ... after all, its the loudest sport on earth.

USACI does have those rules ... I'm looking them up ....

Edited by Cablguy184

Lol oops, my upper 40's music must be messing me up.

I think in USACi you can sit in it into upper 60's, but only a fool would. I know I sit in my friends trucks and vans that do 161.x burps and 160's music.

SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL TESTING:

All occupants of the vehicle under test shall have proper hearing protection placed over their ears

if remaining in the vehicle for testing. Refusal to wear properly placed hearing protection or

removal of it during the test shall be cause for immediate disqualification from the event and no

score or refund will be given. Neither the competitor nor the judge will be allowed to be in any

vehicle in the Super Modified class. Competitors in Super Modified will be required to control the

audio system from outside of the vehicle and the microphone/sensor will be placed on a

microphone/sensor stand to be provided by the competitor. Only the registered owner of the

vehicle or his/her attorney-in-fact may be inside the vehicle during SPL testing. The SPL

microphone may not be placed on the same side of the vehicle as the competitor. Competitor

must remain in the front of vehicle (forward of “B” post) during testing. (Updated 12/23/2008)

USACI spl rules ...

As far as hearing safety goes, I believe your ears have a tolerance around 120dB. Past that, you will start to lose your hearing.

I don't smoke, so I use my ashtray as an earplug holder. lol

If you want to carry it over into your daily driving practices for the sake of your ears, keep a set of plugs around for when you want to show off for friends and whatnot.

my girlfriend keeps a set in my glovebox.

My truck really doesn't get loud enough to need ear protection. at best ... 132db at 28 htz ... :drink40:

Fcbc Lol ed and Mindy suck btw but to the question at hand you can't sit in a car in meca if it is over 145 db and if you do up to that point you have to wear ear muffs

I keep disposable plugs and ear muffs in my car for passengers, there is a technique to listening to loud low frequency sounds that will dramatically reduce the chances of hearing loss as well.

I keep disposable plugs and ear muffs in my car for passengers, there is a technique to listening to loud low frequency sounds that will dramatically reduce the chances of hearing loss as well.

Wanna talk about this technique? :)

Wanna talk about this technique? :)

if you're worried about your hearing... dont :fing34:

It's similar to a yawn, when you yawn you open your eustachian tubes to equalize pressure on both sided of your eardrums. When you open your mouth slightly and yawn your neck muscles tug on your eustachian tubes and open them slightly letting pressure hit both sides of your tympanic membrane, so it will not rupture. SCUBA divers normally practice that technique as well.

It's similar to a yawn, when you yawn you open your eustachian tubes to equalize pressure on both sided of your eardrums. When you open your mouth slightly and yawn your neck muscles tug on your eustachian tubes and open them slightly letting pressure hit both sides of your tympanic membrane, so it will not rupture. SCUBA divers normally practice that technique as well.

Sounds cool, If I ever meet Steve Meade and go in his tahoe I'll be sure to yawn (then he"ll think im being a dick =/ lol)