elblako91

Elblako's SA-8 build log

Well haven't posted up here in a while so i thought id post up what I'm doing lately. I already have 2 SA-8's on the way and I'm going to pair it up with a SAE 1000d amp or an SAZ 1000d amp (not really sure what to get at the moment). I will be wiring both of them down to 1 ohm. It's all going in a 1992 toyota pickup extended cab. Here are the specs of the box I'm designing at 32 hrtz. In the 3D photos the length should be 40" not 36". Any comments, help, or info would be appreciated.

Thanks-Blake

Picture7.png

Picture6.png

Picture5.png

Picture4.png

Picture3.png

Picture2.png

Picture1.png

First off congrats on the purchase! I would look into the SAZ-1000D if you are ever planning on strapping and increasing your power. SAE-1000D have been discontinued unless your looking at buying used.

Take a look at this box tuning calc to determine how accurate the RE program is. I have heard from to many people that it is off and doesn't account for subwoofer displacement.

PORT Size Calculations and Formulas for WOOFER and Subwoofer BOXES

Thanks for the reply OldSkool. A member is selling a SAE 1000d for $175. I'm still waiting for a response. Is there a reason I should be looking at the SAZ 1000d instead of a SAE? Is it worth the extra $100?

Thanks for the calculator. I'll mess around with it and see what's up. I can't seem to find the Xmax for the SA-8. Can someone shed some light on that? Thanks

Ok so i punched in the numbers in the calculator that Oldskool gave me and it says my port length needs to be 41.05 inches long instead of 27" like the RE calculator said. WTF?! can someone help me out here :ehh:

Picture9.png

Edited by elblako91

That is total length and does not account for the bend. Remember to keep the port at least 3.5" minimum away from the back wall.

Thanks for the reply OldSkool. A member is selling a SAE 1000d for $175. I'm still waiting for a response. Is there a reason I should be looking at the SAZ 1000d instead of a SAE? Is it worth the extra $100?

Thanks for the calculator. I'll mess around with it and see what's up. I can't seem to find the Xmax for the SA-8. Can someone shed some light on that? Thanks

Upgraded casing and components inside and the ability to strap.

Cool I think the SAE will do fine then as i wont be daisy chaining them.

As for the box if i add the port length up including the bend i come up with 36.75 inches which is closer to 41.05 inches but not on the dot. Am I still doing something wrong or is this RE calculator at fault. I am taking into account 3.5 inches between the back and the port.

If you look at the RE calculator it says

Square Port length 1 = 9.75

Square Port length 2 = 27

If you add those to up you get 36.75 so why does it say total port length is equal to 42.75. I'm probably overlooking something. :/

Got it. Thanks!

Well now I have to wait until I get out of college to go back home so I can get started on building my enclosure. I hate waiting.... :suicide-santa:

I'll keep everyone posted once I start building.

Got it. Thanks!

Well now I have to wait until I get out of college to go back home so I can get started on building my enclosure. I hate waiting.... :suicide-santa:

I'll keep everyone posted once I start building.

please do, with pics! :D

my SAE1000D booklet says they can be strapped to make 1800w @ 2 ohms.

my SAE1000D booklet says they can be strapped to make 1800w @ 2 ohms.

Mine says the same and jacob has confirmed it before. They dont have the upgraded internals, casing or the ability to handle 16v (speaking about the SAE1000D obviously)

Just an fiy the SAZ-1000D is not designed to operate above 15 volts or run below 1 ohm.

Learned something today as I was not aware the older SAE-1000D could be strapped. peepwall.gif

The SAE-1000D will be a great amp for your project.

Just an fiy the SAZ-1000D is not designed to operate above 15 volts or run below 1 ohm.

Learned something today as I was not aware the older SAE-1000D could be strapped. peepwall.gif

The SAE-1000D will be a great amp for your project.

Thanks for the help everyone. I got a new camera so it will be pictures galore!

As for the subs Jacob is freaky fast. Put my order on Monday and he already shipped them out wed and I'm expecting to get them this coming Sat. Order to subs in Less than 5 days! :fing34: Now I just need an amp. Looks like the member on the boards that was trying to sell his SAE 1000d fell through because he hasn't responded to my PM's

Sigh oh well the hunt continues....I'm also considering 3/4 inch plexiglass just for looks.

Heres an enclosure me and my bro built with plexiglass. (He's a member on the boards)

109_0195.jpg

Almost time to build. Just 12 more days or so. I'm excited plus I received a new camera for my Birthday a couple of days ago so there will not be a shortage of pictures!

Anyways I'm just looking over my box design and someone mentioned this to me for advice:

"hey i just saw your box your planning on building and it look great but if i can give u a piece of advice move the port from the outer edge to the middle or top. the way its configured now will have the sub noise waves mashing into each other and will result in a odd sounding system. also if you can run a individual port to the opening for even greater quality. good luck erik"

What is yalls opinion on this?

Just don't listen to him, he doesn't knows what he's talking about.

I'm surprised he didn't said that you need round ports for round subs and square ports for square subs, because if it's a square port the waves will mess themself up... :suicide-santa:

Just don't listen to him, he doesn't knows what he's talking about.

I'm surprised he didn't said that you need round ports for round subs and square ports for square subs, because if it's a square port the waves will mess themself up... :suicide-santa:

^x2 :P

Sweet thanks guys! I'm also wondering about another thing. On my design i have the amp (the black thing) in between the port opening and the two subs. Where is the optimal location for the subs to be? Should they both be closest to the port opening or furthest away from it? Hope that made sense.

:o

:suicide-santa:

Ok guys i finally got home and started building my box. Good thing too seeing how it will be raining for the next week or so. Anyways I will try to get a video tomorrow. Now on to the pictures.

The subs-

DSC00549.jpg

DSC00550.jpg

Starting to cut the MDF ( I used a skill saw with a guide as my table saw sucks!)-

DSC00537.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

DSC00539.jpg

DSC00540.jpg

Laying out everything for a test fit-

DSC00541.jpg

DSC00542.jpg

Starting to put glue and screws-

DSC00545.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

Counter sunk all the screws and sanded all the imperfections-

DSC00552.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

Finished Product-

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00555.jpg

DSC00556.jpg

DSC00557.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

The box, She lOoks gOod. Pat your self on the back Brother, you kicked its ass.trink40.gif

You will be very impressed with those little monsters :fing34: Looks like you did a great job on the enclosure brother :drink40: