deernet

Thinking about getting a small to midsize Japanese car, reccomendation

After I get the credit card bill for all my audio equipment payed off, I think I'm going to get a loan on a small Japanese car. Budget will be around 10k, I'd like to get something '02 or newer with less than 70k miles.

I really like this Accord, it seems like a pretty good deal, and I like the 2-doors. My friend has a newer (I think its an '05) Maxima and I like it pretty good too. I'd like to get a manual transmission, but they seem to be fairly rare. I've always wanted a WRX, but I'm thinking that would be out of my price range.

I guess Toyotas are out due to the whole unintended acceleration mess. I've always heard good things about Toyotas, but have lost a lot of faith in them lately. I know that every manufacturer has their recalls, but Toyota tried to cover it up, and this is pretty major. If I could find an awesome deal on a Corolla or Camry, I might go for it. I'm pretty confident that if the situation ever did arise (I'm sure I've got better chances of winning the lottery) that I would be able to handle it (just put it in neutral, duh!). My main concern with Toyotas would be the resale value after all this has gone on.

I'd like to hear opinions on what you think is reliable, sporty, will hold its value, and can be had for around my price range.

Edit: I also like this WRX wagon, although I wouldn't get that one due to the miles, maybe I could find something similar. I like the fact that I could probably take out (maybe half) the back seat and fit me BTL 18.

Edited by deernet

My brother has a Nissan Altima SE-R 6 speed he got it for 11,000 with about 68,000 miles. That car is good al the way around it is bone stock look it up.

2006 Nissan Altima 4dr Car 3.5 SE-R

It's like this one but there are cheaper ones out there. They are a bit rare. I love my bro's car way better than that accord. Or look into the altima 3.5 SL

My brother has a Nissan Altima SE-R 6 speed he got it for 11,000 with about 68,000 miles. That car is good al the way around it is bone stock look it up.

It's like this one but there are cheaper ones out there. They are a bit rare. I love my bro's car way better than that accord. Or look into the altima 3.5 SL

Yeah, thats exactly like my friends car except hers is a regular Altima, not an SE-R, and hers is dark gray. (I was wrong, she has an Altima, not a Maxima.) I wonder how they stack up to the Accords and other imports performance wise? I'll have to look up some horsepower numbers and 0-60 times. Nice car though, I'll add that to the list.

Edit: I didn't even know they made Altima SE-Rs until I saw this, I thought it was only the Sentras. Glad I made a topic, maybe I'll get some more good ideas.

Edited by deernet

Scion tc's run pretty cheap, they get hella loud too.

Yeah, thats exactly like my friends car except hers is a regular Altima, not an SE-R, and hers is dark gray. (I was wrong, she has an Altima, not a Maxima.) I wonder how they stack up to the Accords and other imports performance wise? I'll have to look up some horsepower numbers and 0-60 times. Nice car though, I'll add that to the list.

Edit: I didn't even know they made Altima SE-Rs until I saw this, I thought it was only the Sentras. Glad I made a topic, maybe I'll get some more good ideas.

It can go to 0-60 in about 5 secs. In second gear it pulls you back alot and rubber burns from the transition from 1st to 2nd yeah it a pretty sweet car. And he had a 3.5 SL that one was fast too but he Liked the SE-R better

EDIT* I really like the gauges ontop of the H/U and the interior and the RIMS

This one is a little modded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYvpMw-9sAQ&feature=related

Edited by cheese20323

Mk III Supra .. ?

Get a manual one with the turbo motor. You could throw 1000hp at the stock bottom end.

Edit: Sorry I forgot you wanted something newer

Edited by Dutchie.

Mk III Supra .. ?

Get a manual one with the turbo motor. You could throw 1000hp at the stock bottom end.

I love the last generation Supras, but I'm sure I couldn't find one with low miles that was in my price range.

Mk III Supra .. ?

I love the last generation Supras, but I'm sure I couldn't find one with low miles that was in my price range.

Yeah, the Mk IV's usually start around 20K with the better engine. I've looked into that as well.

This Sentra SE-R Spec-V is local to me, has 50k miles for $7,500. That seems like a killer deal to me, for an '06 anyways. If I can find something like that once I get my bills paid I'll snatch it up.

Those are nice too. Just make sure everything is running properly if you do buy it.

I've been doing some research, and I think I've got it narrowed down a little bit...

-VW GTi, possibly VR6, I know I said Japanese, but I really just need a smaller car, kind of sporty, in my price range. I like these because its a hatch and I could take out the back seat and fit my BTL 18, probably with the same box I'm going to use in my Explorer

Specs for '02-'06: 1.8T has 180hp, VR6 has 200hp

-Subaru Impreza, possibly WRX if in my price range, preferably a hatch for reason stated above

Specs for '02 Impreza: 2.5L 165hp, WRX: 2.0T 227hp

-Nissan Sentra SE-R: 2.5 170 hp, Spec V: 180hp

-Nissan Altima: 2.5 175hp

-Honda Accord 2-door: 2.3L 135hp

As for the specs, I've listed everything for the '02 model year to keep it on a fairly level basis. Right now I'm leaning towards the GTI, since the ones I've looked at thus far seem to be priced lower than the WRXs, and even the base model 1.8T is the most powerful out of my list save for the WRX. The Accord, which I was origionally looking at seems to be the most anemic of the bunch, so I guess its out.

Anything I've left out someone thinks I should consider?

Too bad the Altima SE-R isn't in your area and they are a little over budget. And they only made them in 05 and 06. I like GTI's too very fast but a BTL 18 would be hard to fit but if it does it will knock so hard Good Luck

Too bad the Altima SE-R isn't in your area and they are a little over budget. And they only made them in 05 and 06. I like GTI's too very fast but a BTL 18 would be hard to fit but if it does it will knock so hard Good Luck

Hopefully it will work without the backseat. Even if the Altima SE-R was in my area I wouldn't get it right now, I need to get my credit card bill paid off first. It'll probably be a few months before I end up getting something, I just wanted to get some research done first so I know what I want. Maybe by then I'll find an Altima SE-R around here, I definitely wouldn't be able to fit the 18 in that, have to be a hatch. Whatever I get, its going to be a manual though.

That's good. Whatever car is good as long as you like it. But an 18 is going to be a pain in the ass to fit. inside a car . My local RE dealer had a Toyota yaris hatchback with an RE Mt 18 and it fit good and it was still a five seater. Just didnt have no more trunk. An 18 would be cool in there

Edited by cheese20323

Well if it doesn't have to be jap. What about an srt4? They make 225 hp at the wheels do 0-60 in low 5 sec range and run the 1/4 in 14 flat. And they're cheap. For the money you won't find anything FWD near that fast for the price. But it's not jap or German.

Well if it doesn't have to be jap. What about an srt4? They make 225 hp at the wheels do 0-60 in low 5 sec range and run the 1/4 in 14 flat. And they're cheap. For the money you won't find anything FWD near that fast for the price. But it's not jap or German.

I've test drove one before, and they are fast, but its still a Neon. It just feels cheap. Also, for the money used, I think I can find something as fast, if not very close. I've been reading up on the GTi's, the '06s have 200hp stock, and you can get the ECU flashed for $150 and get an instant 252hp. Link.

Edit: Also wanted to say I have nothing against American cars, except Government Motors maybe. I've owned Ford and Lincoln all my life. I just want something that gets good mileage and looks cool, which is subjective. I've looked at the Mazda 3 hatches, and don't really like them. At this point, if I can afford it, I think I'm going to try to get a '06 GTi.

Edited by deernet

The gti's are nice. My friend had an 05 1.8 turbo. It was queit well built and an all around good car. Just expensive when they break. The newer civic si's are nice as well. Just hard to find for cheap unless they have a bunch of miles.

GTi > your japanese choices.

quite frankly if your looking for a tuner car that your gonna modify to get more power and... your concerned about gas milege... hell youd be just the same to drive a flippin suv.. i know of a lot of small japanese cars that will only get about 25mpg best in the city without hotrodding it all over the place.. personally id rather have the extra room over a couple mpgs.... and after owning a used volvo i will never ever buy a used european car again.. if i cant afford to buy a new one i just wont buy one..

Unless you need the sedan shape get a golf. If you need a sedan shape, the jetta isn't a bad idea.

MkIII supra will be the absolute best bang for your buck speed machine. Hard to find one treated kindly. It's one of the only asain cars I would consider, and it's on my short list for a project car.

It is time after time after time considered one of the best cars in its class price point, and demographic. Also look at Vdub owners and how much they love their vehicles. There is a reason. It's got some of the best build quality. There are some elec problems with the mid 90's at some of the mexican plants(more the jetta and then later "new" bug).

Of all the cars I have owned and driven for more than a week my old jetta is still my favorite. I just grew out of it, physically and in taste.

quite frankly if your looking for a tuner car that your gonna modify to get more power and... your concerned about gas milege... hell youd be just the same to drive a flippin suv.. i know of a lot of small japanese cars that will only get about 25mpg best in the city without hotrodding it all over the place.. personally id rather have the extra room over a couple mpgs.... and after owning a used volvo i will never ever buy a used european car again.. if i cant afford to buy a new one i just wont buy one..

Yeah I know, originally I was looking at newer Explorers and Expeditions. But I've already got a 4x4 Explorer, and for the price of an Explorer thats a couple years old with lower miles, I could get a MkV GTi. I think that I would have a lot more fun out of the GTi too. There is also a large aftermarket it seems. I would probably get the ECU upgrade shortly after I got one, then maybe later on upgrade the exhaust and possibly turbo. I just think its awesome that you can get your stock computer flashed and get an extra 50hp with the GTi MkV, and you can set it back to stock anytime you want to. The ECU upgrade from APR also has a built in immobilizer, and a valet mode which limits power if you let anyone else drive it. It seems like a deal for $150.

I paid $16,000 brand new!

And that isn't a statement you should be proud of. SO MANY more cars I'd buy for $16k.

I believe he is just stating that he got a good deal on it

As an Accord fan, I can tell you that only the DX models were 135hp. The 98-02 LX and EX 4 cylinders are 150hp, but you can't get a V6 manual unless you go to an 03+ which come in 6 speed and in sedan form, if you so choose. Those, naturally, have quite a bit more power than the 98-02 4 cylinders and also more than most of the cars you've already listed ;) They aren't light nor small, but pulling the back seats for a sub? Come on...ditch it for a pair of 15s.

You can find V6 6spd coupes around $11k on a fairly regular basis...the sedans are a little more rare :) Plus you won't have the jacked up insurance of anything with a GTi, WRX, or SE-R in the model name ;)