mr.sagat

Look what I traded my infinity12's for....

I had a pair of infinity reference 12's I picked up for $50 about six months ago. The guy from the local car audio shop wanted to trade me for his old school 15 inch Cerwin Vega Stroker. I've owned one of these in the past and could never get over how freakin loud they get with so little power.

100_0367.jpg

looks old haha.. is that a spider on top of the cone?

STROKER! I'll PM you my address if ya want :D

looks old haha.. is that a spider on top of the cone?

Yes. Although, IIRC, it's not on top of the cone, it's in place of the cone in that area.

a legend back in the day !! You need a Linear amp to match now !!

Well originally I was going to use it in a 4th order cut through on my caddy. After doing measurements and mocking using bassbox pro 6, I found out I couldn't get the port size I wanted without cutting up my rear dash. I then decided on a 8 cube monster of a box, but then decided against that too after realizing that sound pressure will be hard to go from the back of the trunk to the cab with a mdf coffin almost completely covering everything. After punching numbers until 2 am, I finally came up with 4.6 cubes after displacement with 46.5 inches of port. The box peaks @ 42 hz which was the resonant frequency of my caddy last time I checked. The good thing about this box is that it's the perfect size to change positions in my caddy, I could fire it up, forward or backward just by moving the box. I also plan on putting the face on the "outside" of the box, so I can use door weatherstripping instead of wood glue on the face, and change it out to other setups. I normally run bigger ports, but my program kept telling me it'd be louder to sacrifice port space and gain on internal volume. I've ran a stroker years ago and found they are really "different" when it comes to likes and dislikes.

My buddy just sold his 15" Stroker on ebay. He somehow picked it up from some girl and it was signed by alma gates.

I then decided on a 8 cube monster of a box, but then decided against that too after realizing that sound pressure will be hard to go from the back of the trunk to the cab with a mdf coffin almost completely covering everything.

Turn the box around, fire the sub forward, and seal off the trunk behind the sub in this instance. Works better than firing backward in many cases.

I got her installed and played around with my meter. Over 2 db's louder facing it toward the back. I want to seal off the trunk and frontfire, but I ran out of mdf :( I gained a tenth of a db over my previous setup, and the funny thing is my old setup was 2 12's and was @ 1 ohm. The stroker is @ 4 ohms.

100_0368.jpg

100_0369.jpg

100_0370.jpg

:fing34: on less cone area and power but improved score.

So old old Cv stroker is a better sub......lol.... :popcorn::drink40:

Does it sound any good? What is it tuned to?

Does it sound any good? What is it tuned to?

Id say it sounds "decent" for an old school sub that was meant to fart. My box's tune is actually pretty high, tuned for 40, peaks at 41 and F3 is at 37. The peak note for the install right now seems to be 43hz. I have never made a box with that high of a tune before, but according to bassbox pro 6 I would of lost a lot of output with a lower tuning with the stroker. I normally don't take bassbox pro as the gospel truth, but the stroker has a lot different T/S parameters then what I'm used to using. So I was worried about using the huge box, huge port, low tune approach I normally take. I am for sure taking your advice and sealing the trunk and front firing when I get more mdf.

So old old Cv stroker is a better sub......lol.... :popcorn::drink40:

It's an amazing driver ;)