Anyone have experience or opinions on Memphis amps?

I'm considering a 5 channel to run some comps and a sub.

What are Memphis comparable to?

Thanks

Memphis has always made a very good amplifier.

What model are you looking at?

i think memphis amps are pretty good. Probably compare to J.L or U.S amps.

I'm looking at the 16-MC5.700

It's rated at 55w x 4 and 400w to the sub.

I saw a birth sheet and it said 100 x 4 and 600 x 1 :fing34:

Looking at either the DLS Iridium 6.2i or HAT Clarus 61-2 for the front and I have a single IDQ12 D4v3 for a sub.

Edited by Mahna Mahna

I'm looking at the 16-MC5.700

It's rated at 55w x 4 and 400w to the sub.

I saw a birth sheet and it said 100 x 4 and 600 x 1 fing34.gif

That is a nice amp! Great for a nice daily set up!

The birth sheet doesn't really mean anything

Ignore this post not one below me

Edited by cheese20323

I would say go with the SAZ 50.4 and we all know that one is underrated. And i think it is cheaper. :peepwall:

I thought the birthsheet is a confirmation of the actual power output?

Actually, they pull one amp off the assembly line and test it (it's not a very accurate test in the first place) and print what that amp produced and put it on all the amps for that run, that means hundreds of amps got the same paper with them.

I thought the birthsheet is a confirmation of the actual power output?

More or less a marketing guesstimate gimmick!

Right ;)

I have no experience with Memphis amps actually, I've never heard bad things though.

I have always loved memphis amps. I have owned the 16-1000d and the Mojo 2000d and both were built like tanks. Both are kinda old school though. I havent ran any of their newer amps

The local audio shop I hang out at sells memphis. Id say they are pretty reliable, (even though my memphis belle 16st1300d has broke twice) They put out rated, don't know if it's changed over the years but older memphis amps have like .5% THD. Which is pretty terrible, don't know how much that matters though. I also know from experience that a jl 250/1 @ 2 ohms was louder on a meter than a memphis PR 500 @ 2 ohms Which blew my mind, since the PR allegedly puts out 300 rms @ 2 ohms.

I would say go with the SAZ 50.4 and we all know that one is underrated.

Actually, nobody here knows that as it's never actually been demonstrated or proven.

don't know if it's changed over the years but older memphis amps have like .5% THD. Which is pretty terrible, don't know how much that matters though.

That's not terrible....that's well below the threshold of audibility. Which means you won't hear a any difference between .5% THD and .000001% THD.

Memphis makes good amps, I had a Power Reference a few years ago. I loved my amp and it did its job, i accidentally wired to 0.5 ohms and it lasted for almost a year until it gave in (user error listening to a friend before knowing what I was doing).

What is your budget and what features do you need. If the Memphis fits your budget and will fit the requirements for your install then get it.

Actually, nobody here knows that as it's never actually been demonstrated or proven.

don't know if it's changed over the years but older memphis amps have like .5% THD. Which is pretty terrible, don't know how much that matters though.

That's not terrible....that's well below the threshold of audibility. Which means you won't hear a any difference between .5% THD and .000001% THD.

That's why I said I don't know :) Does the thd have anything to do with the signal being more likely to clip? (just trying to learn)

The local audio shop I hang out at sells memphis. Id say they are pretty reliable, (even though my memphis belle 16st1300d has broke twice) They put out rated, don't know if it's changed over the years but older memphis amps have like .5% THD. Which is pretty terrible, don't know how much that matters though. I also know from experience that a jl 250/1 @ 2 ohms was louder on a meter than a memphis PR 500 @ 2 ohms Which blew my mind, since the PR allegedly puts out 300 rms @ 2 ohms.

i agree they break easy my friends amp broke, when he took it to the audio shop were he bought it they told him that it broke because the vibration and warranty didn't cover that

That's why I said I don't know :) Does the thd have anything to do with the signal being more likely to clip? (just trying to learn)

No.

That's why I said I don't know smile.gif Does the thd have anything to do with the signal being more likely to clip? (just trying to learn)

Here is a good read on amplifiers, I had to re-read it again in order to learn ..... Anatomy of the Power Amplifier, By Robert Zeff - SSA Car Audio Forum

thanks for the link to the good read........reading about the classes of amps makes me wonder how a "BD" amp works.....

I had an ST-1000D about 6-7 years ago. It was my first big sub amp. It did the job pretty well. I read a review by a car audio magazine and it didn't quite do rated power, like 962 watts and at a decently high THD as has been said. But will that matter on subs? No. It seemed to be pretty solid overall. I'd say they're about average. Obviously better than the Legacy/Pyle stuff, IMO slightly better than Hifonics, but I like my Sundown better.