Sign in to follow this  
SpeakerBoy

Building a tube amplifier

Like the title suggests, would it be practical to build a tube amplifier from scratch for a subwoofer? i need between 20-40w power @ 25hz

20w is acceptable but the more the better.

Looks and size don't matter.

Budget is $150

I would look elsewhere.

I don't think you could even get a kit anymore for that, and if so, it probably would be a small single ended amp. When you are talking that power, you are looking into at least push-pull with EL34s or something similar.

Additionally, the dampening on tube amps (especially something cheap with a cheap output transformer) can be poor at those frequencies.

I built hundreds of tube amps working for Audioprism/Redrose music in the early 90s.

Buy a cheap plate amp and make a cool box for it if you want to go DIY. It'll work well and you'll be much happier.

Edited by 95Honda

I don't think the a tube amp will make a subwoofer sound better.

I don't know current pricing on tube amps, but i think 150$ is a too low budget.

Where i live most (cheap) tube amps cost 400-500 dollar.

I was looking at this: Dayton T-amp

Does anyone have any experience with these types of amps?

Edited by SpeakerBoy

I've always wanted one of these:

Altitude3500_S.jpg

Its a little out of my price range right now though.

I believe those amps have only been out a couple months at most, and as you can see they are presently out of stock for another 2 months (I assume the first run sold out and are waiting on the 2nd run). So you aren't going to find many people with experience with them.

I'm not sure what impedance you are running, or why you only need 40w.....but since it's for a subwoofer you would probably save a little money by going with one of the low powered Dayton plate amps;

http://www.parts-exp...FTOKEN=20242447

And I would agree with the others.....I wouldn't recommend going with a tube amp. The low damping factor as a result of the high output impedance has the greatest effect on the low frequencies.

I believe those amps have only been out a couple months at most, and as you can see they are presently out of stock for another 2 months (I assume the first run sold out and are waiting on the 2nd run). So you aren't going to find many people with experience with them.

I'm not sure what impedance you are running, or why you only need 40w.....but since it's for a subwoofer you would probably save a little money by going with one of the low powered Dayton plate amps;

http://www.parts-exp...FTOKEN=20242447

And I would agree with the others.....I wouldn't recommend going with a tube amp. The low damping factor as a result of the high output impedance has the greatest effect on the low frequencies.

I only need 40-50w because the way my stuff is bangin, i wont need much more. already shakin pictures on the wall with 20w :lol:

i will be running at 8 ohms

I'm tellin you my new bandpass is no joke. i'm sealing air leaks completely in a few weeks.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Altitude3500_S.jpg

How much?

Altitude3500_S.jpg

I would take it :drink40: