adamt

Running saz-2000d at 1/2 ohm

I've seen a lot of the testings use 1/2 ohm loads on these amps. Is it practical and safe to run 1/2ohm on a regular setup?

I want to add a second sub to my setup and my current sub is 2ohm dvc. Adding another one of those puts me at 2 ohms or .5 and Id rather go .5 if I can.

My other choice is buying two new subs instead of one and that is a lot more money.

Appreciate any input here

It can be done but it isnt warrantied anymore for that. If you have good electrical, its doable, but not advisable for the average joe that doesnt compete.

Well I've got a decent electrical system. I've got a 200 amp alternator and all 0 gauge upgrades under the hood. I've got a stinger sp1000 battery in the trunk.

I do compete but I think I did the upgrading more to ensure I was going to get the most out of my equipment.

I'm curious to know how often people run at 1/2 ohm and what kind of problems anybody has had from doing it

Its a quality amplifier and will work at that ohm. It will deplete the life of the amp much faster though.

Its all up to you, as its your dollar.

Sundown SAZ amps work well at 0.5 ohms, just make sure your electrical is up to par and you will be fine.

Sundown SAZ amps work well at 0.5 ohms, just make sure your electrical is up to par and you will be fine.

when you mean have my electrical up to par do you mean big 3, HO Alternator, and deep cycle battery?

Or just one of those options cause im thinking about getting a SAZ 1500d and running it at 1/2 ohm

I can't imagine beefing up my electrical system anymore then what's there now. The only thing I could do is add more batteries in the trunk. I haven't utilized very much of my 2000 rated watts on the amp yet. The most I've pushed it was 768w at a comp recently. That was good for a 143 on a single 12".

I'm going to try this out sometime this year and see what happens

Well if you don't mind the out of warranty thing which if you look up the build I did you will see that I am running 8 saz-2000d on 4 dual 2 subs each pair of amps are strapped at one ohm so each amp sees .5. and this gets run daily that way on 9 deep cycle batteries.

That sounds pretty sick. I'll def check it out. How do you like your xxx comps?

Get your woofer reconed for to a dual 1 ohm and then buy another dual 1 woofer.

who does that kind of work? Can you get any woofer reconed to any load?

If that's the case I could just get the one I have reconed to 4ohm and buy another 4 ohm and run it at 1 ohm like I want

what kind of woofer do you have?

dual 1's will get you down to 1 ohm with 2 woofers

2_1ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif

I ran my SAZ-2000D at .5ohm daily with NO issues. Never even got hot.

In fact, my SAX-100.4 got warmer then the SAZ did, by a LONG shot. lol

Oh shit what's up mopar? Nice seeing another midwestspl guy on here.

I'm running an RE Audio SX. It's a dual 2 ohm woofer. I'm pretty sure they don't sell the dual 1's. Least they haven't in the past.

I think i'm just going to find another dual 2 and run at .5 ohm and see what happens.

There aren't a bunch of them on the market anymore so it might be a little tough gettin my hands on another one.

Sure appreciate the input guys

cheers

adam

i run my saz-1500d at 0.5ohm just a few time and it works just fine, now for spl is awsome with my 1500d i hit 147.2db with just 1 15", just go for it you will surprize with the huge power those amp put out at 0.5ohm

Right on-that's what I like to hear

With my SAZ-2000 at .5ohm I did a 147 flat with 2 18"s......... at 30Hz.... ;)

If it was a 15 I'd trade my d4 for yours. If I remember correctly Fi only sells reconed for the sx in d1 and d2. But re did sell them in d4.

I'm lookin forward to throwin another 12 in the trunk. We'll see what happens in the next couple of months.

I must be green behind the ears because that 143 I hit was the loudest and hardest I had personally witnessed. I can't imagine what a 147 is like.

when i hit 147+ was with a spl enclosure just for spl not for daily use my box is tuned 50hz hit the 147 at tone 56hz, but before i got the 1500d i have a 1000d and at that time i have the same sub but the enclosure was made for daily used and i hit 143.2 with just a 1000d, keep working on your ride until you get the number you want

The thing you guys are missing is when you drop the impedance down to .5, .33, .25, etc the efficiency drops drastically.

That means more heat just to produce a little more power. I know the OLD Saz-1500d's were able to run down to .5 ohms covered through warranty, but that was before the Saz-3000d made it's debut.

:No:

Yeah, it's not really worth the risk if you are only doing it for your own ears, (I believe you said you do compete but this is more for you than that). The increase in cone area should give you all the boom you need; you shouldn't have to run it at .5. Just go ahead and get the recone done, it could save you some hassle with your amp in the future.