I want a new Head Unit and i've seen this idea done before on SMD.. i didn't stick around to see it through though.

I'm concerned about the fact my system might not be capable of being powered by an iPad.

I'd have my dash fiberglassed for a nice fit.

What would the PROS and CONS be?

The system would consist of (2) Sub Amps ( around 8k ) and (1) Front Stage Amp. ( 4x100 )

Would it be possible to hook up? If so, HOW?!

Also.. heres some other questions i have.

How would I keep it charged?

The EQ.. whats your guys thoughts about how i would set it up? -- Would it be the same as a regular Head Unit?

Would it be possible for my equipment to fry the inside of the iPad? -- to much power from my amps perhaps, or something else of that matter?

Anything i'm missing?

To my knowing the ipad only has a headphone jack out unless you can get some other type of connector.

Im thinking you could run it to some type of EQ or processing center like an alpine H701, older PPI processor, RF 360.2, Audison Bit1 etc.

Andrew

The iPad as the regular USB port as the other iPods and iTouches.

I'm liking the Alpine PXA-H701 but, i have no knowledge in installing an external EQ.

Most people who use a computer like that have a separate H/U they use. They take the 3.5mm headphone jack off the computer and run it into the Head units "AUX" input, which is usually a 3.5mm plug. The H/U then boosts the signal to the amps.

I'll never put iFail in my or any car. If I am going to make something like that it will be a PC. iPad has no multitasking, are you serious? That means if you are doing someone a demo and want to show them your website or something else on the web while the music is playing, you can't. You have to turn the music player so you can run a browser.

You can't have your GPS running to follow a direction and listen to music at the same time too...

There is a video on youtube showing an iPad in a car, but I won't link it cause it was awful. The guy was chewing gum close to the camera and talking to it with shades on indoor like he is some kind of a badass. And the dash was done so ugly, like they made a hole and just put the iPad, didn't looked flushed at all. And the main thing is that they had problems with the audio. (just checked, the have it fixed but it is still ugly and not very useful).

Audison Bit1 is the proc.

Get a PC with a touch screen. :)

And yes you can go with no HU, but some prefer to have it's knob to control the sound.

If you were to use just the ipad, you'd need some line driver iirc and a signal processor to do it right.

you can use the Ipad pretty easy bro. you will need a head unit. i would run the ipad with a USB connection to the HU, that way your sound will be good and the Ipad will also charge that way.

the only multi tasking the ipad cant do is run an APP and then go to the WEB or something else along the lines of that. you can keep ur music playing at all times and browse the web with out any issue. just make sure you can take the ipad out so you can upload new music lol

So playing music doesn't need an app ?

So playing music doesn't need an app ?

it uses the "ipod" app and that stays running in the backround aslong as you dont use anything thats going to shut the "ipod" app off like youtube for example

Holmes is right, it could be done without a head unit. All of your eqing will be done through the amps, that might get troublesome, but that is the only con I could think of.

I'll never put iFail in my or any car. If I am going to make something like that it will be a PC. iPad has no multitasking, are you serious? That means if you are doing someone a demo and want to show them your website or something else on the web while the music is playing, you can't. You have to turn the music player so you can run a browser.

You can't have your GPS running to follow a direction and listen to music at the same time too...

There is a video on youtube showing an iPad in a car, but I won't link it cause it was awful. The guy was chewing gum close to the camera and talking to it with shades on indoor like he is some kind of a badass. And the dash was done so ugly, like they made a hole and just put the iPad, didn't looked flushed at all. And the main thing is that they had problems with the audio. (just checked, the have it fixed but it is still ugly and not very useful).

And yes you can go with no HU, but some prefer to have it's knob to control the sound.

Do some research before you post something again. You talk like you know EXACTLY what your talking about, when it is evident you have no clue.

Let me check my iPhone, wait yup, playing music and on the web.

yup.jpg

If you were to use just the ipad, you'd need some line driver iirc and a signal processor to do it right.

Didn't think about using those, my EQ has an AUX input so it would work. :)

Mines a db Drive E7EQ7, check it out.

:popcorn:

Do some research before you post something again. You talk like you know EXACTLY what your talking about, when it is evident you have no clue.

yup.jpg

Drew the iPad can't multitask.

OP: There is no way I'd do it, you can get a carputer and a touchscreen for cheaper than an iPad because you'd need a HU as well. On top of that the iPad sucks hairy grizzly bear nutz.

yup.jpg

Drew the iPad can't multitask.

OP: There is no way I'd do it, you can get a carputer and a touchscreen for cheaper than an iPad because you'd need a HU as well. On top of that the iPad sucks hairy grizzly bear nutz.

Drew is actually right this time. I just tested it, cant really multitask with youtube, though

But I would actually do a carputer as well, It'd work MUCH better.

Edited by dvalue

audio control lc6i will take the 3mv signal and boost it to 7 volt.

Not to be too frank, but i don't give a fuck to surf the web or do anything else BUT play music off the iPad if i were to install it in my truck..

I want it as a Head Unit, not an iPad running my system. -- If that makes sense.

I wouldn't want to show someone my website while giving them a demo, i would want to show them my equipment.

It doesn't matter how much the iPad cost.

I thought of a carputer, like a Mac Book Pro.. but i wouldn't know the first place to start when it comes to hooking everything up.

Couldn't i have my current Kenwood deck in the glove box ( if i were able to extend the wires somehow ) then run the iPad to the center dash? As if there was no Deck at all.. but would it say accessory connected, like the iTouch does?

BUT.. i would still have to turn the volume up by the Deck, anyway to alter that so the iPad controls it?

audio control lc6i will take the 3mv signal and boost it to 7 volt.

exactly what I've said already. Need something to boost the signal be it headunit or line driver if you were to use this without a headunit.

And if you wanted it to do that you'd have to set your headunit to the max listening volume you do, and then control the volume via the ipad.

-in response to bagingmc

Edited by John Holmes

Thanks John.

I think i want to do it so i still have an H/U ( store away in glove box ) and the have my iPad in the center dash.

Does anyone know how i would extend the wires to be able to run my head unit in my glove box?

use regular speaker wire and label them as such.

Line driver isn't neccessary imo. I have driven amps into cliping with an Ipod. Used it as a source for a 4channel amp + a sub amp. Worked like a treat, even for competing. Not much control except the volume though.

I'll put my Ipod on the oscilloscope one day when I'm bored. Tested one 2 years ago...if my memory serves me right I measured ~1v full-unclipped volume. Ipad shouldn't be too much different if it has headphone output.

I thought of a carputer, like a Mac Book Pro.. but i wouldn't know the first place to start when it comes to hooking everything up.

They didn't mean a laptop, more like a mac mini or similar sized pc.

10195667-mac-mini-sale.jpg