MitaG3

Win ISD parameters for BTL 15

I have the Beta version of WinISD. I put in the parameters for the 15" Fi BTL from the website and no matter what I do it doesn't work right. I more than likely have one of the parameters wrong. Does anyone else have theres working and would be willing to post a picture or something so I can see what I did wrong?

Wasting your time.

Put the sub in a box within the guidelines that we've set on the website and on here in the Technical section.

The subs do not model right in any box program and it will tell you to put a pair of 18's in a shoebox sized enclosure for a 'decent' response curve...which simply isn't correct by any means.

I have the Beta version of WinISD. I put in the parameters for the 15" Fi BTL from the website and no matter what I do it doesn't work right. I more than likely have one of the parameters wrong. Does anyone else have theres working and would be willing to post a picture or something so I can see what I did wrong?

Nope its doing exactly what it's supposed to do. The BTL cannot be modeled in WinISD. You should be using the Fi Recommended enclosures in the Tech section instead.

Wasting your time.

Put the sub in a box within the guidelines that we've set on the website and on here in the Technical section.

The subs do not model right in any box program and it will tell you to put a pair of 18's in a shoebox sized enclosure for a 'decent' response curve...which simply isn't correct by any means.

This, some reason more and more people are trying to model it.

Oh okay so it wasn't messed up, I thought something was wrong when I put an 18" woofer in a .35 cu ft box and it says it would sound pretty good. Sorry for the ignorance lol. Do these programs not work well for just about any sub or just a select few like the BTL?

The 18" BTL displaces almost .35 cubic feet

It's probably in the "order of operation". If you view the help file (or Getting Started or whatever it's called), one of the topics gives you the order to input the parameters, which parameters will auto-calculate and basically walks you through it. You will need to let WinISD auto-calculate certain parameters (which may vary slightly compared to the manufacturer's parameters, in most cases it's not enough variance to matter in the modeling). If you don't do this, chances are good the input figures won't match exactly with what WinISD calculates they should be and it won't let you save the file. Also keep in mind that the Re listed on Fi's website is per coil, so you will need to double Re (since the parameters are with coils in series) when you input it into WinISD.

Nope its doing exactly what it's supposed to do. The BTL cannot be modeled in WinISD.

Sure it can. The BTL isn't a physics-defying transducer. It's not that modeling programs can't model the BTL. The "issue" is that WinISD and other modeling programs suggest certain "target curves" which the BTL's parameters don't allow it to meet with a reasonably sized enclosure. So yes, while it's best to stay within Fi's recommended enclosure range and not use the modeling programs suggestions.....getting the driver loaded into a modeling program and comparing the differences in enclosure volumes and tunings within Fi's recommended range will help the user determine which alignment fits their needs best or the differences between them.