Sign in to follow this  
Tony Nelson

Death Rows? anyone use them?

Hey guys. I can't decide whether or not to run an Icon 12 or DR 12. I have found little information or reviews on the death rows. I was just wondering if people ever use them? It seems like it's either the lethal injections or the death penaltys. I was just curious why I don't see much of the DR's. Are they not worth the price? They look to be one hell of a woofer. I am looking to get one 12 and the Icon or DR fit the bill. I have 1000 watts to play with, and stock electrical. So going any bigger isn't gonna happen.

What are your thoughts on the death row line of subs?

Death Rows are sq/spl or more commonly referred to as ""SQL"". SSA Icons are along the same line as well. You cant go wrong with either. What are your goals? Daily beater? Loud? Low HZ? You can lean more towards one or the other once you figure out what your goals are. :fing34:

Death Rows are sq/spl or more commonly referred to as """SQL""". SSA Icons are along the same line as well. You cant go wrong with either. What are your goals? Daily beater? Loud? Low HZ? You can lean more towards one or the other once you figure out what your goals are. :fing34:

This will be my daily driver. I have always had sealed subs in my systems, but wanna try ported this time. My goals for this woofer would be to be able to play all types of music. I mostly listen to rap/rock but I do play classical, oldies rock, techno, etc... I also don't always have my system slammin either. So I need it to sound decent at low volume and just blend in. Needs to be musical enough that when I play something with fast double bass I can hear each note, not muddy. Another goal isn't just to get loud. I know whichever I choose will be loud enough for me, so thats not a concern. I do need it to play low however, and with some authority. Whichever I get I will tune to 30-32 hz. I know either will be reliable and I will set my gains correctly with a scope.

I have just never seen/heard either of these brands in person, so I don't know what to think. And there are plenty of reviews of the Icons, but I maybe found one or two reviews on the death rows.

Death Rows are sq/spl or more commonly referred to as """"SQL"""". SSA Icons are along the same line as well. You cant go wrong with either. What are your goals? Daily beater? Loud? Low HZ? You can lean more towards one or the other once you figure out what your goals are. fing34.gif

This will be my daily driver. I have always had sealed subs in my systems, but wanna try ported this time. My goals for this woofer would be to be able to play all types of music. I mostly listen to rap/rock but I do play classical, oldies rock, techno, etc... I also don't always have my system slammin either. So I need it to sound decent at low volume and just blend in. Needs to be musical enough that when I play something with fast double bass I can hear each note, not muddy. Another goal isn't just to get loud. I know whichever I choose will be loud enough for me, so thats not a concern. I do need it to play low however, and with some authority. Whichever I get I will tune to 30-32 hz. I know either will be reliable and I will set my gains correctly with a scope.

I have just never seen/heard either of these brands in person, so I don't know what to think. And there are plenty of reviews of the Icons, but I maybe found one or two reviews on the death rows.

all of that is gonna be install dependent both will get loud when you want it. so its basicly a coin toss

Does anyone here have a Death row? If so what do you think about it? Possibly a 12" or 15" model.

Does anyone here have a Death row? If so what do you think about it? Possibly a 12" or 15" model.

I had the LI series 15" and loved them! Great SQ and got plenty loud & low for me! I now have a DR 18" that I will be building a box for soon! DR is the higher power big brother of the LI series and the little bother of the DP series.

IA and SSA make great drivers with exceptional customer service. Cannot go wrong with either company!

:drink40:

Death Rows are sq/spl or more commonly referred to as "SQL". SSA Icons are along the same line as well. You cant go wrong with either. What are your goals? Daily beater? Loud? Low HZ? You can lean more towards one or the other once you figure out what your goals are. :fing34:

Before M5 jumps on you, SQ and SPL are COMPLETELY COMPLETELY COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! SQL does not exist. These two terms are never to be used in the same sentence and never worded together.

Death Rows are awesome subs. I think they sound great, and on 1000 watts would be about perfect for the 12" Death Row. Here's a couple vids of my teammates van has 6 18" Death Rows. It does 155's on music sealed legal on the dash, on just 2 Audiopipe 3k's. This is apples and oranges in regards to what you are wanting to do. But it will give you a general idea. I think you would be very happy with the DR.

Death Rows are sq/spl or more commonly referred to as """"SQL"""". SSA Icons are along the same line as well. You cant go wrong with either. What are your goals? Daily beater? Loud? Low HZ? You can lean more towards one or the other once you figure out what your goals are. :fing34:

Before M5 jumps on you, SQ and SPL are COMPLETELY COMPLETELY COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! """SQL""" does not exist. These two terms are never to be used in the same sentence and never worded together.

Death Row Series

Introducing a brand new line of subwoofers is something Incriminator Audio hasn’t done in a while. We decided that 2008 would be the year for change. This year IA introduces the DR, short for Death Row. The DR line fills in the power handling gap that is between the LI and the DP. The DR is geared as much toward SQ as it is SPL, so this would be considered by many to be the ultimate """SQL""" woofer. Like all other lines of IA products, the DR comes STOCK “fully loaded”.

I didnt make this up. Tell that to Nick at Incriminator. I'm pretty sure he knows what kind of subs he produces :fing34:

Edited by 07merc

Ok. Question on the box. If I went with the DR, the recommended box is 1.8 cubes - 2.5 cubes, 20 - 48 Inches of Port, 32-37 Hz.

So, I can fit a box with about 2 cu. ft. after displacements. I think I will tune the box closer to 30hz as I think that will match up better to my SSF which is set at 28hz. I can do this with a port area of 25 in^2. Is this enough port area? I know it falls in the recommended range, but will it be enough for the DR? Also the tuning will be a little lower then recommended, which I dont think will matter much. Do these numbers sound ok?

Also, box dimensions are 14" x 32" x 14" (HxWxD). It comes out to about 2.3 cu. ft and after woofer dis. it is about 2.1 cu. ft.

Edited by Tony Nelson

Ok. Question on the box. If I went with the DR, the recommended box is 1.8 cubes - 2.5 cubes, 20 - 48 Inches of Port, 32-37 Hz.

So, I can fit a box with about 2 cu. ft. after displacements. I think I will tune the box closer to 30hz as I think that will match up better to my SSF which is set at 28hz. I can do this with a port area of 25 in^2. Is this enough port area? I know it falls in the recommended range, but will it be enough for the DR? Also the tuning will be a little lower then recommended, which I dont think will matter much. Do these numbers sound ok?

Also, box dimensions are 14" x 32" x 14" (HxWxD). It comes out to about 2.3 cu. ft and after woofer dis. it is about 2.1 cu. ft.

If that is what IA recommends then you will be fine. They would not give box recommendations if they did not know if they would work.

I run the DRs. Love em. I've also ran DC lvl 4s, which is supposed to be a "comparable" woofer. LOL! And I've also ran the DPs. The best description I have of the DR is a mini DP. I love em. 187, LI, DR, DP. Can't go wrong. I do Low to mid 50s on music. IA ftw!

I would bump up your tuning to IA specs. Other than that you should be good to go!

I would bump up your tuning to IA specs. Other than that you should be good to go!

I will do that. And I think I will be ordering it here tomarrow. I am selling my Boston G5 to a buddy for $120 today. actually in about an hour or so. So that will help with the purchase. just one last coin flip between an Icon and the DR

Well, I just ordered the Death Row 12. :drink40::drink40::woot:

Hopefully it is was I was looking for.

Glad to here it, you will like it!

Post a review. I'd love to see what people think of them.

Kef

I will when I get it. It hasn't shipped yet :suicide-santa:

It's all good though. It will get here when it gets here

Death Rows are sq/spl or more commonly referred to as """SQL""". SSA Icons are along the same line as well. You cant go wrong with either. What are your goals? Daily beater? Loud? Low HZ? You can lean more towards one or the other once you figure out what your goals are. :fing34:

Before M5 jumps on you, SQ and SPL are COMPLETELY COMPLETELY COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! ""SQL"" does not exist. These two terms are never to be used in the same sentence and never worded together.

the term SQ is often miss perceived.. i could argue that your easily capable of having SQ @ 150DB.. SQ means simply this inaudible distortion and good sound staging.. with the proper install there is NOTHING saying you cannot have very low distortion @ 140DB..

i've been doing low distortion high output systems for years its all in the install and using the proper equipment for the app....

Nice purchase and choice on the Death Row! trink40.gif

Did it come in yet? Pics?

Word.

Waiting on my new sub. Expecting it in the next couple few days.

Kef

Did it come in yet? Pics?

Word.

Waiting on my new sub. Expecting it in the next couple few days.

Kef

No. It hasn't even shipped yet. On wednesday it will be 3 weeks from day of order