Ford12508

Audio Security

So I don't live in a bad neighborhood, but I just bought an amp that cost me over $1K, and I plan on spending a lot on speakers and subs, but I am just going to bolt those down. As for the amp, what would be the best way of locking it down? I thought about a bullet proof glass case(with holes for venting), but ventilation would still suck, I have thought about just putting 2 long steel bars across it and bolting them down on each side of the amp, but I am undecided. I thought it would not hurt to come here and see what everyone else has done to protect their equipment. :gayhaaay1:

Edited by Ford12508

This topic has been discussed some, you can probably find good advice using the search feature...However, some basic advice:

1. Get an alarm, wire speakers up inside the car so it's not pleasant inside the car while the alarm is going off.

2. Don't blast your stereo before you park or where you're going to be parked for awhile.

3. Hide as much equipment as possible (amps under seats, etc). Tint is a good idea although I've seen discussion that tint shows you have something to hide..

4. Motion lights if you're parking your vehicle on your driveway might be a good idea.

5. Might sound paranoid...But make sure people aren't following you home. I've heard stories of such things.

Edited by Mr. Bojangles

This is the golden rule of owning anything that you won't be in constant view of, "Out of Sight Out of Mind". Meaning, if they can't see it they won't think about stealing it. Also "Star drive" screws or safety screws are a good idea, most crooks don't carry around specialized bits with them just some normal screw drivers. Also don't tell people the prices of things in your car, that will help too, because if they know you spent xxxxxx dollars on it they'll be very tempted. Another thing is when posting on forums, make sure to leave your license plate out of pictures or block it out, people can find you through it.

Any thing else i can add?

:popcorn:

Another thing is when posting on forums, make sure to leave your license plate out of pictures or block it out, people can find you through it.

I see that all too often. (People including their license plate)

I will make sure not to post my license plate, but how can someone in the general public use that to find me?

The follow your part is a very true thing i always check who's behind me specially if they went down several roads i turned down in the same direction. Panranoid is my thing.

Best security deterent i can say IS GET A beagal!!!

I know stickers should be a no-no, but do you think a NRA sticker would also be a deterrent :puzzled: ?

I know stickers should be a no-no, but do you think a NRA sticker would also be a deterrent :puzzled: ?

Haha, maybe. Unless they're hoping to steal a gun and think someone might be stupid enough to leave one in their car?

That is true Bojangles. By the way, I love your dog. :gayhaaay1: HI PUPPY!

I guess I am just going to tint it and put a train horn alarm on the truck, this way of someone tries a smash and grab, their ears will bleed. :orly3:

Unusual screw heads help, although a guy I knew had his truck with four walled 15s in it broken into and because the thieves couldn't steal the subs, they just took screwdrivers to the cones instead to destroy them. But recones are cheaper than whole new subs I suppose.

Steel bars across the amps would only help as much as the uniqueness of the bolt holding down the bars. Though it would take a little time to undo those, something most thieves don't want to take a lot of. General hiding as much as possible helps the most I think. Also, take the faceplate of your head unit off. I'm sure many times thieves go in just for the head unit and find RCAs attached and know things lie in the trunk. But if the head unit has no faceplate, it's basically worthless and therefore the whole fiasco may be avoided.

Unusual screw heads help, although a guy I knew had his truck with four walled 15s in it broken into and because the thieves couldn't steal the subs, they just took screwdrivers to the cones instead to destroy them. But recones are cheaper than whole new subs I suppose.

Steel bars across the amps would only help as much as the uniqueness of the bolt holding down the bars. Though it would take a little time to undo those, something most thieves don't want to take a lot of. General hiding as much as possible helps the most I think. Also, take the faceplate of your head unit off. I'm sure many times thieves go in just for the head unit and find RCAs attached and know things lie in the trunk. But if the head unit has no faceplate, it's basically worthless and therefore the whole fiasco may be avoided.

Typically, the faceplate is more expensive, or at least 50% as expensive as the head unit it's self,

This is the golden rule of owning anything that you won't be in constant view of, "Out of Sight Out of Mind". Meaning, if they can't see it they won't think about stealing it. Also "Star drive" screws or safety screws are a good idea, most crooks don't carry around specialized bits with them just some normal screw drivers. Also don't tell people the prices of things in your car, that will help too, because if they know you spent xxxxxx dollars on it they'll be very tempted. Another thing is when posting on forums, make sure to leave your license plate out of pictures or block it out, people can find you through it.

Any thing else i can add?

:popcorn:

Torx heads ;)

Never bump where you park your car, whenever I pull onto my street the windows go up and the music is non existent, you wouldn't know I had expensive unless I opened my trunk, and you need a key to open it because I disabled the switch in the vehicle.

We had en at school on the box they said star drive ;) kinda like torx but not quite. Like duran said disabling the trunk latch is huge also, some have switches but on my old lumee I had to take the connector off

Torx heads sound good, I have a whole variety of those, so putting in variable sizes wouldn't be a problem either. As for the amp, I think I am going to put carriage bolts on it with lock nuts on the bottom, so the only way to get it off would be to go under the truck and find the bolts.

We had en at school on the box they said star drive ;) kinda like torx but not quite. Like duran said disabling the trunk latch is huge also, some have switches but on my old lumee I had to take the connector off

When the asshats broke into my vehicle, they just tore out the trunk lock. They skipped using my trunk pop button.

Use comercial screws with odd shaped heads.

I'm not saying this is the perfect place, but it was number one on my search. I have used similar fastners with great luck.

Home | Loss Prevention Fasteners. Security Screws, Tamperproof Nuts and Bolts, Anti-Theft Hardware, Loss Prevention Solutions and more! 1-888-584-6283

The other option my friend used is he grinds off or cold welds the groves in head of screws. He'll; use an extracor to get them out if needed. It's given that said extractor will work on almost any screw though.

Jeez don't you have garages in America?

I know you don't always park your car at home(at friends,when you are at the shop), but I see some parking in their driveway at night?

One thing im glad about on my Mustang is there is no lock in the back of the trunk, so that rules out the crooks ripping out the lock. But like i said "Out of Sight Out of mind".